Pricing for a new Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much to the chagrin of my Triumph, BMW, and Moto Guzzi riding compatriots, I'm looking at picking up a new Iron 883. Without getting into why, I'm ordering CA emissions equipment which, here in WI anyway, means the bike will have to be built-to-order. Since I'm dealing with Harley (who is notorious for not discounting bikes) and also placing a 'custom' order, should I expect to pay virtually MSRP for it or do you think I have some bargaining power on price?

You can phone a few dealers, or probably better, visit the dealers in person. I would imply I am financing the bike through the dealer, which is a profit centre for them, and makes them easier to deal with in general. You might have to show your cards if they start pressuring you to fill out the credit app before they give you a firm price; you don't really want multiple Credit Checks if you actually are borrowing from somewhere, because that lowers your Credit Score just when you need it high for the best rate.

I realize there are different levels of check, some of which won't trigger a downgrade, but I don't trust auto dealers of any stripe to look after my best interests over theirs. If they scan your drivers' license, beware, that's a precursor to a query to the Credit Bureaus, with or without an application.

You can always show up with your check from your local bank or however you are paying for it once you get a solid deal on paper they can't back out of.

As for price, it is what it is. They will be much more interested in moving a bike in inventory over ordering from the factory, so your bargaining position is weak right from the get-go, and there might be a long wait in store for you if you do.

You will figure out pretty soon whether the market is MSRP or some discount. Dealers may be more inclined to offer extras out of inventory like a helmet or eyewear or something rather than move on price. Ask, be specific. Get what you can, basically. Do not be afraid to tell them you are in touch with [some specific Harley dealer] and plan to buy from the guy who bends over the furthest. I would refrain from giving them a laundry list, instead narrow it down to two shops and pick one when you pull the trigger.

Since you're buying a build-to-order bike anyway, I'd ask about the option of picking up the bike at the factory. They have (or used to have) a program where you can do that, maybe there's some free factory tour involved or some other interesting perk, I don't know the details but I do know a few people who have flown to Milwaukee or York and rode home on their Canada-market bikes.

Although my riding days are over, I still get the motorcycle magazines.
I am also not suggesting you change your mind but the Triumps and Moto Guzzis seem to give much more bike for your dollar....

The 883 is a real dog! Either go bigger, or go diff brand. Just my opinion based on my ownership of one...briefly...some years ago. Perhaps they have improved a lot since then. Mine looked good, sounded good, handled poorly.

Expect to pay full msrp. Any way you can go up a click on the scale and order a Dyna instead, like the Street Bob?

Originally Posted By: tc1446
The 883 is a real dog! Either go bigger, or go diff brand. Just my opinion based on my ownership of one...briefly...some years ago. Perhaps they have improved a lot since then. Mine looked good, sounded good, handled poorly.

If I bought an 883 Sportster, I would look at buying 1200 jugs for it. But, given the OP wants his to be Cali emissions compliant, I suspect such an upgrade would be a non-starter for him.

Besides, I'm too young and good-looking to be looking at cruisers - lol

Last edited:
Why does everyone get a Harley? Is that the only option out there? It just seems so follow the crowd like. You look over next to you and see what kind of motorcycle someone is driving, oh what a surprise it's a Harley.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
Besides, I'm too young and good-looking to be looking at cruisers - lol

You made me smile on this very beautiful spring day. Thank you.

It's sad to hear that you are abandoning motorcycles for an 883(lol). Please be sure by test riding other motorcycles of interest.

I have ridden the 883 and other than terrible handling, no power, lousy shifting, parts coming loose and the ability of the 883 to turn a small bump into a kidney punch it was okay. The lack of suspension compliance was my biggest complaint over an all day ride. I really wanted my Honda VTR back.

By the way, the 883 owner traded for a Triumph and made us promise to never mention his past ownership of that 883(lol).

I know you are set on the Harley but my choice would be the Yamaha Bolt over the 883. And if I wanted to fork over more money the Indian Scout would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I know you probably have made up your mind, and I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but have you seen the (Triumph) Bonneville Bobber?

http://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uplo...ileL-studio.jpg

Ohhhhhhh.... that's sweet! I love that new bobber!

I'd never order a new Sportster - they depreciate faster than any other Harley - But that's just me.

I do, however, recommend getting a good used one, because they are so very affordable compared to new.

A 1200 kit on an 883 makes for a VERY fast and cheap bike. Mine handled beautifully, and gave me 43,000 trouble-free miles (Save for one oil pressure sensor @ $9.73)

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I know you are set on the Harley but my choice would be the Yamaha Bolt over the 883. And if I wanted to fork over more money the Indian Scout would be my choice.

I rode a bolt last year At BBB and I hated it. The throttle fueling or drive by wire sucked. Foot position was awkward. Maybe it just did not fit me but I hated it. Every Famaha I rode with the exception of the FJR had jumpy throttle, I think Yamaha does it intentionally for the wheelie crowd. Very hard to ride slowly and gracefully.

Victory is cheap now, but probably can not special order any.

Triumph is not the same feel.

Water cooled scout is HOT when the fans kick on.

I am not a fan of any Sportster with stock suspension. But solutions exist. It is not as hot.

Rod

Everyone has their own idea of the ideal Motorcycle, so I won't try and talk you into something else.

I would absolutely try for the best deal.

Don't get an Iron brand new. You'll lose thousands the minute you drive that thing off the lot. It also sucks to ride. Get a sportster if anything, or be a man and get a Fatboy.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Don't get an Iron brand new. You'll lose thousands the minute you drive that thing off the lot.

Yes you will, but you will loose far far less. It's a Harley and that demands premium. It has brand recognition, like the Rolex Submariner, John Deere Tractors, and Chili's.

If you like "chrome" I would go Harley, or Honda.

Last edited:
On this forum Harleys are not liked much, so you are going to get biased opinions. Try a Harley forum to get a better prospective of what you want.

You can get a discount at some dealers. Others will give you money on accessories. I have a 2014 Sportster superlow. It has Progressive shocks front and rear. Helped a bunch. I have added a Hammer 1250 kit with 30 degree reverse dome pistons that are 10.5 to 1 compression. It has 560 cams and head work, porting and reworked combustion chambers. It is around 95 horse power and hauls butt. I can cruse all day at 75 to 80 mph with no problem. And get 48 to 50 mpg. It is a joy to ride. I will keep it for many years. It is what I want. I don't buy what other people think I ought to get. LOL

It will vary by region and dealer. Some will deal some won’t.

You definitely have a better chance of dealing on one in stock, vs order (if there is any wiggle room on the CA emissions). I also don’t think there is a ton of profit/markup in an 883 Sportster. Be a good idea to hit the HD forums and maybe XLF Regional forums and see what dealers have a rep for dealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back