Long filter for a GM LS engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents, the LS engine conversion for my Jeep is going to be happening so I'm researching maintenance stuff. I've found the oil filter is the AC PF48E, Napa 7060, Fram PH10060, etc. All are short filters.

I'm wondering if there is an appropriate long filter for use on the LS engine. The engine will likely be a 5.3L LMG from a 2010-13 Chevy Tahoe.

Thanks!

Ph10575 is the long one. If you wind up with an older model the filter is different.

Are you going to do an afm delete or just a straight swap?

The ACDelco PF61 is a longer version of the PF48. I've been using them on a 5.3l Tahoe and Suburban for years.

AC delco oil filters
GM changed the thread design for LS1 engines in 07. The older filter PF46/PF61 used a SAE thread whereas the PF48/PF63 use metric.

PF48 short version and the PF63 is the long version.

PF46 short version and the PF61 is the long version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
AC delco oil filters
GM changed the thread design for LS1 engines in 07. The older filter PF46/PF61 used a SAE thread whereas the PF48/PF63 use metric.

PF48 short version and the PF63 is the long version.

PF46 short version and the PF61 is the long version.

Oh, learned something new. My apologies OP for the bad information. I haven't used the shorter one in so long I didn't remember what the model number was. I'm curious, what was the reason for the thread change, if there even was one?

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
I'm curious, what was the reason for the thread change, if there even was one?

The PF46/PF61 filters do not have a internal bypass, The Bypass is built into the oil pan.

The PF48/PF63 filters have a built in bypass & the bypass in the pan was deleted.

The treads were changed to keep from installing the wrong filter.

Thanks Gents. Thant's what I was looking for. It will be a straight swap but I will have the AFM disabled.

Originally Posted By: cb4017
Gents, the LS engine conversion for my Jeep is going to be happening so I'm researching maintenance stuff. I've found the oil filter is the AC PF48E, Napa 7060, Fram PH10060, etc. All are short filters.

I'm wondering if there is an appropriate long filter for use on the LS engine. The engine will likely be a 5.3L LMG from a 2010-13 Chevy Tahoe.

Thanks!

I use the Wix 57045 or NAPA 7045 on my '08 & '11 4.8 and 5.3. It's the longer version of the 57060 or 7060. I think if I had the engine out, I'd do the AFM delete instead of just disabling it in the ECM. If 1 of those AFM lifters collapses, the heads have to be removed to replace it. JMO

Last edited:
I use the Wix 57045 or NAPA 7045 on my '08 & '11 4.8 and 5.3. It's the longer version of the 57060 or 7060. I think if I had the engine out, I'd do the AFM delete instead of just disabling it in the ECM. If 1 of those AFM lifters collapses, the heads have to be removed to replace it. JMO [/quote

Have you had any trouble running the longer filter? I've always wanted to run the 7045 on my buddies 2011 4.8, but have been hesitant as the 7060 bypass setting is 12 psi and the 7045 bypass is 12-15 psi, according to the info on Wix's website. Just dont want to cause any problems.

I've not had any problems whatsoever. I've been doing OC every 8 to 10,000 miles on my 4.8 Silverado since 2008 and it currently has 130,000 miles on it. It doesn't protrude below the bottom of the oil pan either. Probably doesn't help any but doesn't hurt anything either. I started off using M1 EP but switched to PP last 3 OC's.No particular reason. I liked the fact PP is made from Natural gas, but I'm going back to M1 EP. Truck still doesn't use any oil between changes. The 2011 I just recently acquired. It's going to get the M1 EP also. The AFM has been disabled also.

I have a 2006 Silverado 4x4 4.8L crew cab with 234,000 miles and I use Wix 51522 (threads 13/16-16) and Valvoline HM 5W-30. engine runs great and use about 1/2 qt at 5000 mile oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back