Anyone Familiar With GMC TPMS Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sensor is from a 2007 GMC Acadia. My boss brought it by my house tonight asking me to change the valve stem. A kid was playing on it and when climbing on it they broke the valve stem. I didn't have one that fit this sensor, so just to get them on the road I stuck a regular valve stem in there until we could get the correct one. Upon further examination I notice that the metal piece that screws into the valve stem part appears to be broken. Is this a ground for this sensor? I've never seen another sensor that's exactly like this. I'm wondering if the whole sensor needs to be replaced since this is broken, or if it'll work fine just replacing the valve stem part of it?

I've circled where the break is:
8835f317-d690-41e2-92ca-2709307774e7_zpsfuyhuqxu.jpg

Call dealer or acdelco supplier and get a new one. Dont bother with generic ones. You could fix it and it may work but it has been removed and the batteries dont last forever.

Last edited:
I have bought them on eBay - but dealer should have. Don't want to lose that functionality

2007? Even if you do fix it, the battery is almost shot if not shot already. I don't even think they were planning on those sensors lasting 10+ years.

Once you get a new sensor, it’ll have to be linked up with the rest of the vehicle.

Here’s typical GM method, requires key fob:

HOW TO SET TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS)
https://www.box.com/s/k5yyk9uep12euam0ribb

TPMS – TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM TIPS
https://app.box.com/s/0rbfj9slxte2ewlhy8dk0ltyhlchm1he

Depending on where you are, some GM dealers have lower prices on the wheel
Sensors and fresh stock.

If you buy on ebay, etc, you won’t know how old the sensor is, the clock is ticking
on the internal battery once they are assembled.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Call dealer or acdelco supplier and get a new one. Dont bother with generic ones. You could fix it and it may work but it has been removed and the batteries dont last forever.

+1 Unfortunately it is worth the extra scratch to get the OEM. Sometimes rockauto has them cheaper but I would def. stick with the OEM.

It's been a few years since I worked on these, but I believe Siemens is using the metal valve stem as an antenna, and the part you show as broken is the connection from the sensor to the valve stem.

A steel belted radial tire is essentially a Faraday cage, which means you have to crank up the signal strength inside, only to have it absorbed by the tire material. This eats up battery power. I believe Siemens was using this to cut down on the loss of signal strength by allowing a way out of the tire that wasn't through the cage. The system in the car is designed around that. "generic" sensors may or may not have enough power to get through the tires. Safety systems like this irritate me to no end when they don't function properly, so I stick with OEM whenever possible.

I'm definitely in agreement with others that if they are from 2007, it's time to replace them. The batteries are designed for something around 6 years, so they are on borrowed time as it is.

Originally Posted By: Superflop

Nothing wrong with generic ones, I've used them for years in all of my cars. They're typically just the OEM one without the OEM logo stamped on it (made by an OEM supplier like Siemens, Bowa, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back