'16 Road glide fluids change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike is coming up on 10k. Need advice on engine oil choice. Here is what I have on hand that was bought last summer on sale
VR1 20w-50 4 quarts
VR1 Syn 20w-50 2 quarts
Syn power 20w-50 1 quart

What would be a good combination to run those in and interval? Filter is Fram ultra #3614.
Also what you guy would recommend I stock up on?

Originally Posted By: JeePing
Bike is coming up on 10k. Need advice on engine oil choice. Here is what I have on hand that was bought last summer on sale
VR1 20w-50 4 quarts
VR1 Syn 20w-50 2 quarts
Syn power 20w-50 1 quart

What would be a good combination to run those in and interval? Filter is Fram ultra #3614.

My 2 cents: Put the VR1 4 qts in the engine. Put the Synpower in the Primary. I wouldn't use any of those in the trans. Mobil 1 gear oil or the best in my opinion Red Line Man. trans lube. It's $20 a qt. but can go 20k and shifts like "butter".

I run vr1 20w50 syn in the engine, rotella 15w40 in the primary and 75w140 in the trans.
Also run a motorcraft fl-910s on the engine.

I think Im gona go with atf in primary and some kind of synthetic 75w-90 in gearbox. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about vr1 only oil in the engine.

I have an 2006 RG, last year I used the Redline Products for the fisrt time. I am happier than ever the bike runs and shifts unbelievable. Order the v twin kit from an online seller, it will include lube for all 3 cases, a nice funnel for the trans fill and also FI cleaner which is part of the reason I think it has increased my MPG.

Former fills M1 v twin, Syn 3. Nothing compares IMHO.

Best luck, ride safely

VR1 20w-50 4 quarts
VR1 Syn 20w-50 2 quarts
Syn power 20w-50 1 quart

I would recommend you stock on the oil recommended by the maker of the $25,000 motorcycle you just bought and that would be any CH4+ or higher oil or Harley oil.

:eek:) ... But if you think you know better, the VR1 turns in good wear numbers and many people are happy with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
VR1 20w-50 4 quarts
VR1 Syn 20w-50 2 quarts
Syn power 20w-50 1 quart

I would recommend you stock on the oil recommended by the maker of the $25,000 motorcycle you just bought and that would be any CH4+ or higher oil or Harley oil.

:eek:) ... But if you think you know better, the VR1 turns in good wear numbers and many people are happy with it.

What the heck is CH4+? Can you dumb it down for me please? Thanks.

And I went ahead with 2.5 qts of vr1 and 1 qt of vr1 synthetic. Valvoline syn 75w-140 in trans and Valvoline syn max life atf in primary. Also pun in fresh air filter.

It's a rating that's given to Diesel oil. The Harley manual says in a pinch you can use Diesel oil in the motor, but to change it out as soon as you can. They don't say to run diesel oil fulltime. That might be a warranty problem if you have a motor problem, and they find out that's what your running.I run Rotella t in my primary and have for years. Works like a charm for me. I run 75/90 wt gear oil in the trans. Cheap store brand ,nothing special. 65k miles later and it still quiet and shifts like butter. I believe you bike holds 4 qts in the motor, so you might want to recheck that.,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
VR1 20w-50 4 quarts
VR1 Syn 20w-50 2 quarts
Syn power 20w-50 1 quart

What the heck is CH4+? Can you dumb it down for me please? Thanks.

And I went ahead with 2.5 qts of vr1 and 1 qt of vr1 synthetic. Valvoline syn 75w-140 in trans and Valvoline syn max life atf in primary. Also pun in fresh air filter.

CH4+ and higher is mentioned in the Oil Recommendation of your owners manual which doesnt hurt to read :eek:)....
Its commercial rated motor oil used in diesel engines as well as some are also rated for gasoline engines.
If you look up the makeup of Harley Oil you will see its replicates C rated commercial heavy duty engine oils.
Dont look for advice from anyone who would suggest that a warranty would or could be denied by using an oil mentioned in a owners manual of any engine manufacturer, even more so when you or anyone else is using a completely out of spec oil not even mentioned in the manual.

You have to wonder about taking advice from someone that uses diesel oil in a Harley motor full time, even tho it's only meant to be used temporarily, in a a pinch PER THE MANUAL. You have to forgive alarmguy he's new to Harley's and has poor comprehension abilities.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You have to wonder about taking advice from someone that uses diesel oil in a Harley motor full time, even tho it's only meant to be used temporarily, in a a pinch PER THE MANUAL. You have to forgive alarmguy he's new to Harley's and has poor comprehension abilities.,,

Any sane person can read our posts and understand, except you.

SO you recommend to people an any oil like VR1 which is completely out of spec in the owners manual and trash someone like me who recommends to people to use a CH4+ or higher oil that Harley says is ok in a pinch (your words) vs your completely out of whack spec oils that are not mentioned in the manual.

SO BIGCHAHUNA believes IT IS NOT ok to use oil mentioned in the Owners manual instead of Harley oil.
But he believes its ok to use completely out of spec oil instead of Harley oil.

Ok top of that, his "comprehension abilities" are so low, he can not go into the oil analysis section and actually see the Harley oil is formulated much like some HEDO/Diesel oils.

But once again, listen to Chahuna recommend oils that are not mentioned as acceptable in the owners manual over the HEDO oils that are mentioned as acceptable.

Unbelievable .. but I know everyone except you in these forums understands ...

Last edited:
Hey don't get your panties in a wad. If your going to quote the manual, YOU really need to be able to interpret what the manual says in reference to what oil is acceptable to use in their motorcycles. Nowhere does it say to use Diesel oil in place of Harleys oil. Nowhere. Only as a top up oil. If it says something other then that, could you copy and post it from the manual?. You may not do that in your bike, but it's a free country. But it clearly states diesel oil should be changed out asap. Are your eyes unable to read that part? It follows the top up sentence. This may come as a shock to you, but people have been using other oils then what Harley sells since Harley have been made. And guess what they all work. If you know of any that don't please post the results. Also please post from the manual where it says "mystic brand oil is" recommended for use in Harley's. If your gonna quote from the book at least understand what your quoting.,,

I've used Vr1 20w50 conventional for several years. It gets good reviews here and on several Harley forums. I would mix the Vr1 dino and synthetic for a couple of changes, then stock up on the Vr1 dino when it goes on sale. FWIW I use Redline shockproof in the transmission and change it at around 10,000 miles. Most any 15w40 HDEO will be fine in the primary.

I agree with you Gman, Maybe if Alarmguy hear's it enough from different posters he'll start to believe that using other oils then what the "factory" says to use , actually works. And works good. I've tried using Harley's oils in the past, and my experience was that I had more consumption with their oil then with Valvoline oil. Their synthetic oil was worse then the old 360 oil in my bike. It's a good thing to have several choices of lubes available for your bike from different companies. In most cases it keeps the prices realistic. That works for alot of people who don't have a Harley dealer around the corner from where they live. Just like with cars, people worry too much about the most durable part of the bike the most the motor. When the trans, electrical system, clutch or fuel system will give it up before the motor.,,,

I guess you missed this from my post May 10

"the VR1 turns in good wear numbers and many people are happy with it."

I still think it would be wise for some people to trust Harley more then you.

Last edited:
Alarmguy, I'm sorry I don't follow your posts like all your other "followers". But,I did miss the one where you posted the excerpt from Harleys manual where it says it's "recommended to use diesel oil fulltime in your Harley". And the part about changing the "diesel oil mix" out back to Harley's only approved oil as soon as possible. Could you repost those again?. Nobody has to trust me for anything. They should trust the manual for whatever brand vehicle they have. The important thing is the need to be able to understand what they are reading. And not take one statement as a confirmation of what you want it to mean. You have an issue with people who don't follow what Harley recommends but, you don't use Harley oil in your Harley, Hmm?. So knowing that, it would appear your opinion is worth as much as anyone else's. No expertise being shown on your behalf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back