Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've found some awesome deals on these tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (not plus) since the plus revision came out.
I guess people didn't like the snow performance of this tire. 500 AA A rated tires from Michelin, perfect for my three season and then snow tire use. Shop around for these and you may find a deal in a size you can use. I've got two different sets now for under 110 a tire delivered. Compare to nearly $200 delivered for the Plus model. 205 55 16 and 215 45 18 are the sizes i got deals on. Some sizes are cheap, some are not. Fingers crossed they don't do that Michelin cracking thing.

The ride? Firm and sporty. The 205 55 16 feel like they are on larger wheels with a lower aspect ratio. The 215 45 18 i will be getting mounted tomorrow. Excellent grip for a 500 treadwear. Very quiet and smooth. Gotta love it.

What's this Michelin cracking thing? I have same Michelin and can see cracks on them, they got installed in mid 2014 by Costco. Should I be worried?

Where did you get them? I found some on clearance last year, but that was just $160 a tire instead of the normal $200+.

Some, very few really, Michelin tires end up showing age cracking on the exterior.

I got some on Ebay and some from a drop shipping tire company called simple tire dot com

Originally Posted By: dareo
So I've found some awesome deals on these tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (not plus) since the plus revision came out.
I guess people didn't like the snow performance of this tire. 500 AA A rated tires from Michelin, perfect for my three season and then snow tire use. Shop around for these and you may find a deal in a size you can use. I've got two different sets now for under 110 a tire delivered. Compare to nearly $200 delivered for the Plus model. 205 55 16 and 215 45 18 are the sizes i got deals on. Some sizes are cheap, some are not. Fingers crossed they don't do that Michelin cracking thing.

The ride? Firm and sporty. The 205 55 16 feel like they are on larger wheels with a lower aspect ratio. The 215 45 18 i will be getting mounted tomorrow. Excellent grip for a 500 treadwear. Very quiet and smooth. Gotta love it.

thumbsup2.gif

Friends of mine who have run this tire tell me it has dry performance like the old Pilot Sport PS2, wet performance like the Pilot Super Sport, and better early spring/late fall performance than either of them. Better treadwear, too (assuming you're not big on burnouts/powerslides).

It really is a three-season tire. The winter performance isn't very good compared to some all-season tires, and of course like any all-season tire it's junk compared to winter tires. But it's an excellent three-season tire because it works well in all non-winter temps.

Is this your first serious premium tire?

I'm changing out some 300 tw Geforce Sport comp2 due to noise. They grip about equal to the new michelins. I don't really push cars super hard but i do like to take some turns fast from time to time. Maybe 8/10th driving at most. So these have enough grip for my needs and the higher wear compound for longer life. Their only down side is reduced winter capability but i would rather have these than the updated version, since i roll real winter tires.

Some, very few really, Michelin tires end up showing age cracking on the exterior.

I got some on Ebay and some from a drop shipping tire company called simple tire dot com

Every single pair I owned cracked early.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Strange. Our shop deals almost exclusively with Michelin, only a couple from many years ago had cracking issues, and those were recalled. We install dozens of sets every week.

One point about the A/S3 and A/S3+, they are quite noisy.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
What's this Michelin cracking thing? I have same Michelin and can see cracks on them, they got installed in mid 2014 by Costco. Should I be worried?

My new Michelin Primacy tires started showing sidewall cracking last year (2 yrs old). It's still light after 3 yrs/24K miles but shows nearly continuous cracking next to the rim, center of the sidewall, and top of the sidewall. I figure if I get 6 yrs/50K miles I did good. My last set of Michelins were the OEM tires on this car and I replaced them at 12 yrs/52K miles....and they were extensively cracked by then, covering the entire sidewall and interior tread cracks as well.

The OEM Michelins on my 08 Camry were cracking so I replaced them with Yokis.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Went thru probably 30 sets of Michelins, never seen ONE cracked.

No. This sounds like a hilarious Internet rumor.

Any tire will develop cracks from old age.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Friends of mine who have run this tire tell me it has dry performance like the old Pilot Sport PS2, wet performance like the Pilot Super Sport, and better early spring/late fall performance than either of them. Better treadwear, too (assuming you're not big on burnouts/powerslides).

It really is a three-season tire. The winter performance isn't very good compared to some all-season tires, and of course like any all-season tire it's junk compared to winter tires. But it's an excellent three-season tire because it works well in all non-winter temps.

Is this your first serious premium tire?

I have heard similar things from the E92 M3 guys that got it. It's pretty close to a summer performance tire that can handle occasional light snow. In other words, it's a "very sporty all-season tire".

I would not use it if I drove in any sort of moderate snow.

Originally Posted By: dparm

No. This sounds like a hilarious Internet rumor.

Any tire will develop cracks from old age.

I don't know, I noticed my BFG/Michelin sport comp2's have small cracks on the tread surface on the inner shoulder when I put them on this spring. They were in my basement at 50f all winter in bags, manufactured in 2014, installed in 2016 and have maybe 10k miles on them with a few autocross thrashings, but no burnouts or trackdays. They have been run around freezing temps a few times but cold cracked tires crack to the cords from what I've seen.
This said, they still seem to grip in the wet and dry and I did very well in the first autocross this year and the tires performed better than I remember, so I'm not tossing them yet.

Got the 215 45 18 fitted today, on some 2016 Audi A6 wheels. 8" wide wheel and the michelins didn't even need to stretch. Very wide for a 215. Pretty happy with this upgrade as long as i can sell my old wheel/tire setup.

The 205 55 16 set on my Nissan:

Very beefy All seasons indeed. The 240 will see no snow use at all and the golf has X-ICE 3 on the stock 15s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back