2017 GMC Acadia rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did a quick weekend gateway recently. I reserved a full size car. They gave me an Acadia instead, in a refrigerator white rental special. We put close to 400 miles on it during the 2 days we had it. Mix of hwy and city driving and around some national parks. It had the 2.5 liter I4 engine and AWD. We averaged about 22 MPG according to onboard data.

Pluses:
- very spacious, especially in the back and cargo area. It had more room than wife's Q5.
- good visibility
- pretty good ride and handling (it had 18" rims with 235/65/18 tires, Michelin LTX I believe)
- AC/HVAC worked well
- decent layout of center console
- good brakes
- transmission shifted reasonably well, trying its best to get some juice out of the engine

Minuses:
- Engine felt underpowered, especially on the hwy, when cruising at 80 mph, most of the time it would downshift and run at around 3,500 rpm pretty much non-stop. I believe it was in 5th gear, out of the 6 available. That's with two adults and a toddler on board, no luggage.
- My back was hurting after an hour or so of driving
- Fairly noisy at hwy speeds

All in all, not a bad basic transportation with ample room inside, but I was more impressed with a Ford Edge when it comes to interior (subjective, obviously) and the 2.0 turbo in Edge felt notably more powerful.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We did a quick weekend gateway recently. I reserved a full size car. They gave me an Acadia instead, in a refrigerator white rental special. We put close to 400 miles on it during the 2 days we had it. Mix of hwy and city driving and around some national parks. It had the 2.5 liter I4 engine and AWD. We averaged about 22 MPG according to onboard data.

Pluses:
- very spacious, especially in the back and cargo area. It had more room than wife's Q5.
- good visibility
- pretty good ride and handling (it had 18" rims with 235/65/18 tires, Michelin LTX I believe)
- AC/HVAC worked well
- decent layout of center console
- good brakes
- transmission shifted reasonably well, trying its best to get some juice out of the engine

Minuses:
- Engine felt underpowered, especially on the hwy, when cruising at 80 mph, most of the time it would downshift and run at around 3,500 rpm pretty much non-stop. I believe it was in 5th gear, out of the 6 available. That's with two adults and a toddler on board, no luggage.
- My back was hurting after an hour or so of driving
- Fairly noisy at hwy speeds

All in all, not a bad basic transportation with ample room inside, but I was more impressed with a Ford Edge when it comes to interior (subjective, obviously) and the 2.0 turbo in Edge felt notably more powerful.

The issue being is that these are supposed to be "upmarket" CUVs and they are priced as such. So-if you came away with the impression they are not bad "basic transportation, either your expectations are very high or the vehicle failed at what it is supposed to be.

Not sure which it is.

Last edited:
I have the same 2.5L I4 in my Malibu and it just enough power for it. I dont c why gm put it is such a big suv. I see it better fitting for the equinoxes and terrains than the 2.4L they had.

If Acadia is upmarket, then what would be considered basic? I claim ignorance as I'm not well versed in GM offerings.

If Acadia is upmarket, then what would be considered basic? I claim ignorance as I'm not well versed in GM offerings.

The GMC Terrain slots below the Arcadia.

Does it still have the ecotec engine that needs a new chain every 60,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
no your thinking the 2.4L ecotec, this is the new updated 2.5L ecotec.

This is unfortunate news. I really like the new styling, I hoped it would be more than just a good looker. Did the seating position or lack of lumbar or other cause the back pain?

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

Ah ok. Assuming they improved the chain in the 2.5?

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

Ah ok. Assuming they improved the chain in the 2.5?

Yea i remember reading up on it after i bought the car. It's a more quiet engine than the 2.4L. I like the motor. I didn't kno it was DI untill after i bought it. I plan on doing a UAO on this oil change to see how the engine is wearing.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Did the seating position or lack of lumbar or other cause the back pain?

Not really sure. The seats overall felt fine when I initially sat in them. It was actually my neck that started hurting after a while. Maybe I just did not adjust my seating position optimally.

I have also rented them. The OP's review is spot on. Try renting one in hilly terrain and fill it with people. You will want something else in short order.

Originally Posted By: CKN

The GMC Terrain slots below the Arcadia.

I'll take the wifes 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI 3.6 over the Acadia any day.
wink.gif

No-one ever complains the motor is "too powerful". If you have a "fuel economy special" and are running it hard in normal driving, your fuel economy will probably be better with the larger mill in any case.

Honestly, IMHO, anything other than a Yukon or Sierra, and perhaps the Savanna, in the current lineup doesn't quite match their brand image. The Acadia was not an ideal replacement for the Envoy and the 3.6L V6 should, certainly, be the default standard in a car that size.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Honestly, IMHO, anything other than a Yukon or Sierra, and perhaps the Savanna, in the current lineup doesn't quite match their brand image. The Acadia was not an ideal replacement for the Envoy and the 3.6L V6 should, certainly, be the default standard in a car that size.

Exactly. The I4 was a poor choice of engines for that vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back