Stick with M1 EP or go with something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last oil change I switched to M1 EP. I was hoping that it would stop my oil consumption issue but it hasn't (it might have slowed it down though).

I have heard two schools of thought when it comes to different brands of oil. 1. You should stick with one brand of oil for the life of the truck. For example, if you have been using PP and switch to M1 EP you might get some consumption. You should then stick with the M1 EP for the second change and then going forward things should settle down (no consumption, etc). Any truth to that?

The second is that you can change between brands at will and have no ill effects. As long as it meets specs you are good.

BTW, my truck is a 2008 Silverado 5.3L w/ AFM turned off (turned off around 50,000, have 117K now).

Use a high mileage oil to slow consumption. EP is not a high mileage oil. Mobil does make one does everyone else. Valvoline is well known for their Maxlife oil which tends to be the standard in this category.

Maxlife gets some great reviews here, I'd give it a try if I had a vehicle that used oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Use a high mileage oil to slow consumption. EP is not a high mileage oil. Mobil does make one does everyone else. Valvoline is well known for their Maxlife oil which tends to be the standard in this category.

How would a HM oil slow consumption? Low miles(50K), and no reported oil leaks.

It is common for that engine to use (or lose) oil. My '03 Suburban with the 5.3 uses oil or it loses it through the PCV system. Honestly, I'm not sure which. Either way, I don't really care as the engine runs like the day I bought it, especially after replacing the fuel pump. I just keep putting a quart of Pennzoil Ultra in it (when I can find it) every few thousand miles. Your engine sounds pretty normal.

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock
On my last oil change I switched to M1 EP. I was hoping that it would stop my oil consumption issue but it hasn't (it might have slowed it down though).

I have heard two schools of thought when it comes to different brands of oil. 1. You should stick with one brand of oil for the life of the truck. For example, if you have been using PP and switch to M1 EP you might get some consumption. You should then stick with the M1 EP for the second change and then going forward things should settle down (no consumption, etc). Any truth to that?

The second is that you can change between brands at will and have no ill effects. As long as it meets specs you are good.

BTW, my truck is a 2008 Silverado 5.3L w/ AFM turned off (turned off around 50,000, have 117K now).

I doubt if it matters at all if you switch brands of oil.

As for consumption, it depends on why its consuming.

1. Ring Pack Gummy: Try putting in BG EPR Engine Performance Restoration PN 109 and/or an engine flush (flush at oil change time and idle 10 minutes)

2. Seals leaking: Try LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver or a High Mileage oil for extra seal conditioners

3. Valve Stems Worn: Thicker oil. Try a euro-spec 0w40 from walmart for cheap.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

I doubt if it matters at all if you switch brands of oil.

As for consumption, it depends on why its consuming.

1. Ring Pack Gummy: Try putting in BG EPR Engine Performance Restoration PN 109 and/or an engine flush (flush at oil change time and idle 10 minutes)

2. Seals leaking: Try LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver or a High Mileage oil for extra seal conditioners

3. Valve Stems Worn: Thicker oil. Try a euro-spec 0w40 from walmart for cheap.

Let's examination the evidence.

1) Ring Pack Gummy. Not a chance with any M1 oil, especially with only 50K on the engine.

2)Seals leaking. OP gives no indication there are any external oil leaks.

3)Valve stems worn. OP gives no indication of any start up smoke. Again only 50K on the engine.

Would AFM cause more wear in some cylinders when others when is was active?

I did not see how much its using. If a significant amount, I'd run a high mileage dino oil. Sn dino oils are so much better than what was around 20 years ago. If it runs good just keep oil in it. Dino will work fine as you are replenishing it.

Last edited:

It's been decades since I used the same oil two changes in a row.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Let's examination the evidence.

1) Ring Pack Gummy. Not a chance with any M1 oil, especially with only 50K on the engine.

2)Seals leaking. OP gives no indication there are any external oil leaks.

3)Valve stems worn. OP gives no indication of any start up smoke. Again only 50K on the engine.

You're confused. Engine has 117k. Says he turned off the AFM at 50k.
About leaks, no clues one way or another if he does or not. Its possible.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

I've got no leaks, etc. I was just thinking that switching to an oil with a lower NOACK might help with consumption. Looking around online the M1 EP supposedly had a NOACK of around 9 but according to Mobil it's much higher than that. They couldn't give specifics but said it's in the 11 - 14 range.

Looking at oil analysis online the PP is around 9 but an old MDS for Pennzoil is at 10.1.

I agree with the others on here. Try a high mileage oil such as Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil High Mileage, Castrol High Mileage, etc. As far as the concern about sticking with one brand for the life of an automobile I can tell you that I just retired a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7 with almost 200,000 miles on it and I bet I probably used 12-15 different brands of oil in it and it was still fine mechanically. I hade to retire it because the body was totally shot and wouldn't pass inspection any longer. Pennsylvania winters are very hard on car bodies because we use a ton of brine water and road salt. There is also a myth that you should pick one brand of gasoline and stick with it. I use Exxon, Shell, BP and Sunoco and have never had any problems switching back and forth.

I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

I've never ran a High Mileage oil. Any one better than the other? Before trying the M1 EP I always used PP. I'll finish using my PF48 stash but will then go with either the UPF48 and the Fram Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back