Local car washes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect it likely varies a lot based on the chemicals being used by each operator.

I agree with 555, the pre-soak seems to very hard on waxes and sealants at my local wash.

Do you mean the self serve coin op, the automatic brush tunnel, or the touchless laser?

Even the soap strength can vary -- all the "newer" and well managed ones I've been to really go to town with the soap. The one's that appear to be on the brink of failure may not even have soap..or I swear one I've been to used laundry detergent..

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Even the soap strength can vary -- all the "newer" and well managed ones I've been to really go to town with the soap. The one's that appear to be on the brink of failure may not even have soap..or I swear one I've been to used laundry detergent..

Some do, or Dawn. Real car wash soap won't hurt a wax or a sealant. I don't need to wash my car with Tide or Dawn, though. I like those products, but not for washing a car.

Depends. Some sealants are designed to hold up to automatic car washes. No doubt they use pretty strong soap.

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
Some use hydro-something acid. Saw it in a big drum behind an open door.

Honestly, I'd wonder if that is used to treat the wastewater from the car wash...

The local swirl-o-matic car wash uses a super heavy pre-soak that will definitely effect your wax or sealant. Heck, even car wash soap will effect your LSP if it isn't diluted correctly.

This automatic car wash apparently hates aluminum Fords.

f-150-fender-hole-antenna.jpeg

typically the pre-soaks are a higher acidity and can strip some (or most) LSPs. Only time I really use a car wash is the occasional touchless in the winter if it is covered in salt or my local one has free glass cleaner and microfiber towels that I sometimes use to clean the interior glass if the kids smudge it up. Typically I stay away from car washes. Especially dealership ones. At least a higher end local ones seem to take more care in their equipment.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The one here ripped my wifes wiper off and the mirror on my truck...no more!
That's why I only use the completely touch free car wash. It may not completely clean all the grime but there's no scratches or damage to contend with.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The one here ripped my wifes wiper off and the mirror on my truck...no more!
That's why I only use the completely touch free car wash. It may not completely clean all the grime but there's no scratches or damage to contend with.

There was a touchless at a gas station on my way home from work that I used to use maybe half a dozen times a year, but it had been out of service quite often for the past year or so.
Stopped there after getting dive bombed by gulls or something else good sized at work and didn't notice until I was in the thing that the entire mobile washing unit had been replaced with one that had brushes. The things were definitely grabbing at my wipers much more than I was comfortable with, but I had no obvious damage or swirls. I would guess that it might have done a number on the pigtail antenna I used to have on the top of my car, but I replaced that with a sharkfin a few years ago and it was OK.
I need to remember to look before I leap!! Need to find a new place to go, probably won't find one nearly as convenient. Washing at home is a PITA due to the placement of my water spigots, and I really don't like seeing soap suds run down into my brook even when I use cleaners I know are safe.

some of the ones by me are automated car washes converted to a "hand wash". They kept the automated roller and sprays, but use humans to brush the paint using the wool hand mitts.

Depends on the one - I go to ones that have people drying the cars, and everything gets siliconed up through the tunnel. They do use an alkaline pre-soak. My old car had its wheel clearcoat stripped off by Kaady's wheel cleaning brushes and cleaner.

I bring a bottle of a spray wax if I don't go to a full-service car wash for good reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back