Tire shake until warmed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
So I gather this is normal? And widely accepted? I've never had tires do that.

Widely accepted? Not for me.

Another vote for flat spotting. Experienced what you are experiencing on a new set of the previously mentioned Conti DWS size 215/50R17 on a V6 Accord. Especially cooler/cold mornings, bad vibration lasting for a significant time. As noted, unacceptable to me. Took them back to DT after giving them a 30 day trial. Replaced with Michelin MXV4 Primacy, no vibration, very satisfied and thus a far superior tire IME. Now have General RT43's on same vehicle, no flat spot vibration either and equivalent ride quality to the Primacy for less money.

So, I'd say IME apparently normal for some tires. And as noted, lower profile tires would tend to exacerbate the issue.

I used to see it a lot on bias ply tires back in the day, but generally speaking, I've been pretty lucky with modern tires. Back then, it was insane to get into a vehicle with bias ply tires that were sitting outside in -40.

It's normal. Whether it's accepted or not is a personal thing I guess. In my experience most low profile high performance tires exhibit this. I've learned to live with it.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Some tires develop flat spots overnight that make for a rough ride the next morning until they warm up.

Agree. I have Coopers on my truck that do that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's normal. Whether it's accepted or not is a personal thing I guess. In my experience most low profile high performance tires exhibit this. I've learned to live with it.

Yep, mine aren't even particularly low profile, but still have a little vibration for the first few miles in the morning, then its smooth sailing.

Perfectly normal.

My kumho ecsta 4x would do it for 3-5 miles w speed rated..

my michelin premiers would do it but only for about 1 mile.

My firestone destination AT also flat spot for 1-3miles if warmed up fully the day before on a long drive then it drops overnight below 70f or so.

its caused by the tire construction.. many oem tires wont flatspot.. they of course have many other deficiencies.. but noise and vibration are usually extremely low.

The BFG sport comp2's on the Focus seem to flat spot overnight even in warm weather, and running them up a few psi at 36. These are my first tires to do this, but for a mile of small vibrations I'll take the extra grip.

I have Firestone Indy 500 Wide Oval summer high performance 245/50-16 tires on my 1999 Trans Am. If I do not drive the car for a few days I get the same vibration (due to flat spots). It goes away once the tires warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back