Engine oil grade 5w/30 for mitsubishi galant 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi forumers

Can I use engine oil grade 5w/30,10w/30 or 15w/30 for my mitsu galant 2.0 v6 year 2000,on which the weather is constantly at 35 to 42 degree Celsius heat all year long.

Or shall I stick back to 10w/40 which I m using all this while.

Some say grade 30 oil is not suitable & too light for hot weather country.

Thanks...
tired.gif

Last edited:
*Do you have your Vehicle Owner's Manual?
*What does your OM allow for in your temperature range?
*Are you using conventional or synthetic motor oil?
*2.0 L V6? is this correct?

Your temperature range is 95 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit for those who may not know Celsius. Your 10W40 choice sounds fine but, I really don't know!

I would think that any of the oil grades that you mentioned, would be suitable for your engine depending on how you use the car and whether or not to use synthetic oil.

Silk from NZ may drop around to help, he's a bit of a Mitsubishi expert.

We had the 2.0L V6 engine in Australia in the late 90's and it was spec'd 15W40, so I would have no problem with your 10W40.

Could you use 5W30 ? Probably yes if it's a Euro A3/B3/B4 grade but maybe not if it's a American ILSAC GF-5 grade.

But why bother, 10W40 and 15W40 are very common and easy to find oil grades, and often quite inexpensive too.

In Malaysia, I'd think you'd be fine sticking with the 10W-40. How many miles on the car and what is your normal usage - city - highway - short trips?

Char Baby said:

Your temperature range is 95 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit for those who may not know Celsius. Your 10W40 choice sounds fine but, I really don't know!

I would think that any of the oil grades that you mentioned, would be suitable for your engine depending on how you use the car and whether or not to use synthetic oil.

Owners manual calls for 20w/50 or equivalent....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ronting
Char Baby said:

Owners manual calls for 20w/50 or equivalent....

Just town drivin crusing at 80kph to 100kph...once a while at 140kph...diving distance is 50km to 70km/day

Originally Posted By: SR5
We had the 2.0L V6 engine in Australia in the late 90's and it was spec'd 15W40, so I would have no problem with your 10W40.

Could you use 5W30 ? Probably yes if it's a Euro A3/B3/B4 grade but maybe not if it's a American ILSAC GF-5 grade.

But why bother, 10W40 and 15W40 are very common and easy to find oil grades, and often quite inexpensive too.

Correct answer right there! Those 2 litre V6's are a sweet little engine, smooth as can be. Not much torque though!

I believe 20W50 is quite an overkill here though it's common among aged and leaking engines.
xW40 is common here, though most are without A3/B4 specs.

Owners manual looks like 10W40 will be fine. In that heat, even a 15w40 is going to be thinner on startup than countries where it's literally freezing and people use 0w20.

We had them here as an 1800 (6A11) and 2000 (6A12), in the Galant and FTO, bullet proof, best Mitsi V6. Recommended for 5W-30 here, but everything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 goes in them, and they will love it. We don't get much over 30c here.

To put in proper perspective, the highs in Malaysia varies from 30 to 34*C.
It never exceeds 35*C .... but, it's real humid though ... being surrounded by seas.

5W-3O or 10W-30 is the correct grade in any temperature -- better running engine and fuel economy. If running synthetic, 5W-30 is especially preferred.

Use 10W-40 only if you have bad valve-stem oil seals so that oil consumption through the bad valve seals is reduced.

At local minimum ambient temperatures of 24*C,
Operating KV@24*C at first early morning starts are :
a) 126 cSt (for 5W30);
b) 164 cSt (for 10W30);
c) 209 cSt (for 10W40) and,
d) 255 cSt (for 15W40).
Respective engine oil temperatures will hit 40*C in a minute or two,
whilst its limits on MRV is 60,000 cP and,
CCS varies from 6,600 to 7,000 cP .......
bearing in mind starting oil temperatures during rest of the days are way beyond > 30*C up to 80*C............
delta in fuel economy among various grades, if any, is perceptible ??? ...... even if done in a laboratory
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
5W-3O or 10W-30 is the correct grade in any temperature -- better running engine and fuel economy. If running synthetic, 5W-30 is especially preferred.

Use 10W-40 only if you have bad valve-stem oil seals so that oil consumption through the bad valve seals is reduced.

____

Gokhan

May i know wht is d hottest temperature of d year at ur region?....

Cos i been thinkin runnin 5w,10w or 15w/30 is thinning considerin d hot weather all year long.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back