Schaeffer's 9000 lmm Duramax 42,879 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really expecting that it was getting to be time to change the oil but it seems that where I changed the filter and the additional oil it took for the filter actually made the numbers pretty favorable.

What is the condemnation point for Iron? I am really leaning towards switching the oil out sooner than later because part of the benefit of running a good oil is having good oil. I feel like this marathon is about over and its time to start a new one. Surely it is of some benefit to have the iron at a lower number and have the Moly and the TBN back up there high.

I must say that this oil continues to be a pleasant surprise.

0 Fuel dilution on a LMM?
Wow, Do you have any mods or tune?
My LMM kills the oils much quicker than that :-(,

4xk miles, shut the front door! nice.

I think Detroit diesel uses either 100 or 150 ppm as the limit for Fe and 50 ppm for Pb. You're nowhere near those limits, there are Gas V-8 engines that shed more iron in 1 OCI than you have in this report...

Sorry, yea the dpf and doc are removed. Egr is blocked. 5" exhaust no muffler and efi live done by no limit.

I have been running scheaffers winter blend fuel additive but just switched back to summer optilube to finish it off. Ill use scheaffers winter formula exclusively there after.

100 is a safe number for condemning an oil due to Iron content. I know GM used 120 for the 2.0L Cruze diesel.
Are the makeup oil numbers incremental or cumulative? The report says 2, 2, 3, and 4 quarts for each of the intervals. Does that mean a total of 4 quarts makeup for the 4 samples, or 2+2+3+4=11?
Base number is still strong, and actually increased from the 3rd to 4th sample.

Schaeffer's has been on my list of Oils to Try Before I Die for a long time.

Its between samples. Ive changed my filter 2x and had one sample lost in the mail.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
100 is a safe number for condemning an oil due to Iron content.

But it is condemned by proxy because it has outlived its serviceability for some other parameter, not due to the actual iron content, right? Surely 100ppm of iron that is of a size that shows up on an ICP is not harming the engine in and of itself, is it?

I could easily have an oil with a very high iron content (as measured by ICP) that would be harmless to the engine.

Wow! I applaud the concept here; using a lube until it's fit to be condemned!

That being said, unfortunately, we're going to have to help the OP establish his own condemnation points, because neither GM or Isuzu has set any limits. There are many other makers that do set limits, and we can perhaps glean some insight from them:
(see page 11 of this report, which is page 16 of the PDF as I see it); copy/paste into your browser
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/Documents/UsedOil%5C2008020.pdf

Given this info, I'd say 100ppm Fe is a safe limit (noting that Cummins uses a range from 75-100, but all others are 100 or above, I'd say the industry overall is 100ppm or higher). And don't loose sight of the fact that while you have 32ppm of Fe, that's spread over 43k miles! So your Fe wear rate is LESS THAN 1PPM/1K MILES!
As for the other metals such as Cu, Pb, etc, you're simply no where near anything even remotely condemn-able whatsoever.
The contamination is practically nil; fuel, water, Si and such all well in control.
The other lube properties such as Vis and oxidation OK also.

Kschachn also brings up a good point; just because Fe may reach some arbitrary mark, it needs to be understood in context. If all the other parameters stay well in control, and Fe is known to be cumulative, then seeing it escalate in a controlled manner should not automatically cause an OCI. If you were seeing an escalation of not just Fe, but Cu and Pb, then I'd say it would be a clue to consider an OCI. But all other factos (the other wear metals) are essentially at or near a "zero ppm per mile" state. So the fact that one metal will track with accumulation is not a cause for an OCI, but rather just the affirmation that things are completely as expected and operating in a near-perfect state.

In fact, the REAL DETERMINING FACTOR should not be a ppm count, but a "wear rate". The time to starting paying closer attention is when the wear rates start to tick upwards. Right now you're under 1ppm/1k miles; that's absurdly good. If you got to 2ppm/1k miles, it would be time to cautious, and at 3ppm/1k miles, I'd say time for an OCI.

At this point I would say you're not even close to having to dump the lube.

I want to commend you on actually using your brain and solid logic in managing your maintenance program. This is how it is done in industries that have multi-million dollars of machines to care for. They don't hit the panic button when some arbitrary maker rolls onto the odometer or hour meter. Rather, they manage the lube based upon contamination and wear rates. Right now, your contamination is zip and your wear rates are crazy low. There is ZERO REASON TO CHANGE THIS OIL, and probably won't be for a while.

Also, you don't mention it other than changing the filter a few time, but are you using bypass filtration? Just curious. Normally I'd say you would almost have to be to get such low soot in this duration, but because you've blocked EGR and deleted regens, this engine is essentially running very clean and so it's possible to get these results without BP filters perhaps.

Is this a good lube? Sure. But it's also in a Dmax; one of the best wearing diesel engines ever made.

Congratulations, sir. Out of 61,000+ BITOGers, you're one of only a handful that actually understand how to properly maintain a piece of equipment with your brain and not your emotions. I cannot express this enough: you impress me with your logical approach; one that I preach about all the time and typically falls on deaf ears around here. Only about 1:10,000 BITOGers understands what you are doing and why.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Op, that explains the fuel #s, how bad does it smoke on hard take off?

Not to dilute your #s, but let's do the math

4 samples @ $25 a sample = $100
16 quarts of makeup oil = $64
Total = $164

10k OCI = 4 oil changes
40 Quarts @ $4 = $160

Oil Analysis and change makes $$$ sense for systems that use mucho gallons of lubricants, for our Duramax diesels with a 2.5 gal sump. The cost benefit is a stretch.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

That being said, unfortunately, we're going to have to help the OP establish his own condemnation points, because neither GM or Isuzu has set any limits. There are many other makers that do set limits, and we can perhaps glean some insight from them:
(see page 11 of this report, which is page 16 of the PDF as I see it); copy/paste into your browser

Given this info, I'd say 100ppm Fe is a safe limit (noting that Cummins uses a range from 75-100, but all others are 100 or above, I'd say the industry overall is 100ppm or higher). And don't loose sight of the fact that while you have 32ppm of Fe, that's spread over 43k miles! So your Fe wear rate is LESS THAN 1PPM/1K MILES!
As for the other metals such as Cu, Pb, etc, you're simply no where near anything even remotely condemn-able whatsoever.
The contamination is practically nil; fuel, water, Si and such all well in control.

Kschachn also brings up a good point; just because Fe may reach some arbitrary mark, it needs to be understood in context. If all the other parameters stay well in control, and Fe is known to be cumulative, then seeing it escalate in a controlled manner should not automatically cause an OCI. If you were seeing an escalation of not just Fe, but Cu and Pb, then I'd say it would be a clue to consider an OCI. But all other factos (the other wear metals) are essentially at or near a "zero ppm per mile" state. So the fact that one metal will track with accumulation is not a cause for an OCI, but rather just the affirmation that things are completely as expected and operating in a near-perfect state.

In fact, the REAL DETERMINING FACTOR should not be a ppm count, but a "wear rate". The time to starting paying closer attention is when the wear rates start to tick upwards. Right now you're under 1ppm/1k miles; that's absurdly good. If you got to 2ppm/1k miles, it would be time to cautious, and at 3ppm/1k miles, I'd say time for an OCI.

I want to commend you on actually using your brain and solid logic in managing your maintenance program. This is how it is done in industries that have multi-million dollars of machines to care for. They don't hit the panic button when some arbitrary maker rolls onto the odometer or hour meter. Rather, they manage the lube based upon contamination and wear rates. Right now, your contamination is zip and your wear rates are crazy low. There is ZERO REASON TO CHANGE THIS OIL, and probably won't be for a while.

Also, you don't mention it other than changing the filter a few time, but are you using bypass filtration? Just curious. Normally I'd say you would almost have to be to get such low soot in this duration, but because you've blocked EGR and deleted regens, this engine is essentially running very clean and so it's possible to get these results without BP filters perhaps.

Is this a good lube? Sure. But it's also in a Dmax; one of the best wearing diesel engines ever made.

Congratulations, sir. Out of 61,000+ BITOGers, you're one of only a handful that actually understand how to properly maintain a piece of equipment with your brain and not your emotions. I cannot express this enough: you impress me with your logical approach; one that I preach about all the time and typically falls on deaf ears around here. Only about 1:10,000 BITOGers understands what you are doing and why.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the input. I do not have any bypass filtration or magnets. The part I need "talked down off the bridge" about is sludge. Co workers seem to be worried that sludge will be a problem. I would think TAN would have to raise for that to be a problem or some other number get out of check but I have nothing solid to reply with.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

Op, that explains the fuel #s, how bad does it smoke on hard take off?

Not to dilute your #s, but let's do the math

4 samples @ $25 a sample = $100
16 quarts of makeup oil = $64
Total = $164

10k OCI = 4 oil changes
40 Quarts @ $4 = $160

Oil Analysis and change makes $$$ sense for systems that use mucho gallons of lubricants, for our Duramax diesels with a 2.5 gal sump. The cost benefit is a stretch.
grin.gif

Normal to moderate takeoffs it dont smoke at all unless the engine has not warmed up yet. In the hot tune it will bellow it out for just a moment but it clears up quick. My tunes are really clean and most of the smoke I ever see is the first "romp" in a while, just blowing the carbon off the exhaust walls.

As far as the cost benefit ratio, $4/qt oil isnt something I'm interested in personally for this truck at least, lawn mower, sure.
My sample kits, postage, and analysis are covered for free. Given to me by my dealer.

One thing, I never have re routed my pcv which could account for my 1qt/4k mile consumption, however my oil may have worn out already if it were not for that.

One thing, I never have re routed my pcv which could account for my 1qt/4k mile consumption, however my oil may have worn out already if it were not for that.

Please see my thread on oil stress factor, in particular how the equation involving oil consumption rate affects OSF. In my application with consumption 1L/2500mi and 29.6L sump, consumption and replacement decreases OSF from 3.3kwh/gm to 2.46 in a 1200 hr interval. I'd have to know your average mpg and average speed and sump size to do the calculation in your application.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4395437/Oil_stress_factor#Post4395437

Charlie

Last edited:
Assuming average speed (including idling and everything else) is 35mph, average mpg is 15mi/US gal, sump 10 qt, then 42k mi = 1200 hrs, oil consumption is 0.225gm/kwh and OSF is 3.04. Numbers are VERY good for an OSF that high. My iron was 36ppm and TBN 12.4 for a 500hr run with OSF about 1.2.
If you never change your oil again OSF will level off at 4.5 for you (1/R, R = specific oil consumption rate in gm/kwh)

Charlie

Originally Posted By: 4x4le

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the input. I do not have any bypass filtration or magnets. The part I need "talked down off the bridge" about is sludge. Co workers seem to be worried that sludge will be a problem. I would think TAN would have to raise for that to be a problem or some other number get out of check but I have nothing solid to reply with.

Sludge is essentially the evil end of heavy oxidation and excessive soot; neither of which your oil samples exhibit. TAN has nothing to do with it.
You may come down off the bridge now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Assuming average speed (including idling and everything else) is 35mph, average mpg is 15mi/US gal, sump 10 qt, then 42k mi = 1200 hrs, oil consumption is 0.225gm/kwh and OSF is 3.04. Numbers are VERY good for an OSF that high. My iron was 36ppm and TBN 12.4 for a 500hr run with OSF about 1.2.
If you never change your oil again OSF will level off at 4.5 for you (1/R, R = specific oil consumption rate in gm/kwh)

Charlie

I cannot remember my exact sump capacity (its been a while lol) but 10 or 11 qts is right on. Average speed I do not know but my guess would be around 40 or 45. Most of my driving is between 55-60 and I run 80 on the interstate usually but only about once a week besides the 6 miles I jump on it for work 3 days a week.
Average fuel economy is about 17.5

Originally Posted By: 4x4le

thumbsup2.gif

Sludge is essentially the evil end of heavy oxidation and excessive soot; neither of which your oil samples exhibit. TAN has nothing to do with it.
You may come down off the bridge now.

Im coming down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back