7530 miles on drain

Code:
BLACKSTONE LABS

Make/Model: Ford 5.0L V-8 Ti-VCT 32V

Oil Type and Grade: Mobil 1 Extender Performance 5W20

Vehicle Miles: 12453

Oil Use Interval: 7530 Miles

From Blackstone:

Running this oil for 7,500 miles didn't faze this engine much at all. There were some mild increases in metals,

but nothing that is cause for concern. Iron tends to track with miles on the oil, so it's to be expected that

it would increase on the longer run. We use insolubles to judge how well an oil filter was able to keep up, so

it looks like this filter did a nice job with insolubles at just 0.2% of the sample. The next filter should

also work well. The TBN is strong at 3.0, so if you wanted to try longer, we think it would be fine to try

9,500 miles. Great report!

MI/HR on Oil 7,530 Unit Averages 2,981

MI/HR on Unit 12,454 4,924

Oil M1 EP 5W20 Motorcraft Syn Blnd 5W20

Sample Date 27 Mar 2017 6 Nov 2016

Make up Oil added 0 0

ALUMINUM 7 6 4

CHROMIUM 1 1 0

IRON 22 19 15

COPPER 5 6 6

LEAD 1 1 0

TIN 1 1 0

MOLYBDENUM 77 50 23

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 5 5 5

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 4 3

BORON 45 75 105

SILICON 12 13 14

SODIUM 6 6 5

CALCIUM 1219 1674 2128

MAGNESIUM 727 369 10

PHOSPHORUS 719 699 678

ZINC 881 823 764

BARIUM 0 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210* F 53.8 50.5

cSt Viscosity @ 100* C 8.41 7.41

Flashpoint in *F 425 390

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 TR

TBN 3.0 N/A

He mentioned the filter because I used a Motorcraft FL500s filter for this drain but replaced it with a Mobil 1 EP. Based on what Ive seen here with the Mobil 1 filters cut open and as well as the Motorcraft held up I will be going back to the Motorcraft. Here's a link to my post of the MC filter cut open after this drain. Filter Cut Open
I don't know anything about these reports so I rely on Blackstone and you kind folks here to let me know if everything looks good. Blackstone says it looks great. One thing I noticed between the two drains I've had tested is the Magnesium. Any idea why its so much higher? Is it due to the longer use of the oil??
I did the TBN just to see what it would look like at around 8,000 miles. I know I can go longer but prefer to stay between 8,000-8,500. I should have no problems based on this report.

Thanks for any input you guy have!

Last edited:
Magnesium is part of the additives package in the oil. Mobil 1 EP has a lot while Motorcraft synthetic blend has very little.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Extend the OCI; you're way under-utilizing the lube.

Yeah I know. I do plan to go about 8500 next time and from then on. I just don't wanna go over what the user manual says to do which is basically use the oil life meter in the truck. That means 10k max. I could probably just use regular synthetic Mobil 1 but from what I've read there's a debate on whether it's really truely a synthetic. That's why I went with the EP. Probably overkill...

You'll be fine with normal M1 oil for 10,000 miles. Plus, your engine is probably still breaking in a bit. Run a full cycle and check it out.

Originally Posted By: AccF150
... I could probably just use regular synthetic Mobil 1 but from what I've read there's a debate on whether it's really truely a synthetic. That's why I went with the EP. Probably overkill...

You can "probably" use a lot of different lubes; most any major brand name and many house brands will suffice for the Ford oil spec. Your engine does not need a syn to run to the OEM IOLM limit. Definitely overkill. That's OK - nothing wrong with doing what you want to do. But what you want and what the engine needs are often two different things.

Last edited:
I could probably just use regular synthetic Mobil 1 but from what I've read there's a debate on whether it's really truely a synthetic. That's why I went with the EP. Probably overkill...

What is the difference between EP and regular M1 that makes one a true synthetic and one not?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I could probably just use regular synthetic Mobil 1 but from what I've read there's a debate on whether it's really truely a synthetic. That's why I went with the EP. Probably overkill...

What is the difference between EP and regular M1 that makes one a true synthetic and one not?

Mythology, rhetoric and a general total misunderstanding of what's important or not ....

It used to be that a "real" syn was considered to be a PAO. But now with all manner of GTL, group V, etc on top of the PAOs there's no limit to the onslaught of BITOG lube bigotry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onug
You'll be fine with normal M1 oil for 10,000 miles. Plus, your engine is probably still breaking in a bit. Run a full cycle and check it out.

I may. I've got some time to think about it because I typically buy the 5 quart jugs. I have enough EP left for another oil change. I've been lucky to be able to buy the stuff and get a debate. The normal M1 is only a couple dollars cheaper though...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Mythology, rhetoric and a general total misunderstanding of what's important or not ....

It used to be that a "real" syn was considered to be a PAO. But now with all manner of GTL, group V, etc on top of the PAOs there's no limit to the onslaught of BITOG lube bigotry.

Yep and all that stuff was/is too confusing for me to understand. The one thing I consistently read was the EP was definitely better. Whether that's true or not is beyond me but that and the fact that the price difference was minimal is what drove me to use the EP.

But like I mentioned above, I do understand it's probably over kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back