Tire shake until warmed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice for the first couple miles my darts tires vibrate like slight out of balance at highway speeds after about 5 miles it quits. The tires in question are 225/40r18 tiger paw gtz. They're a pretty stiff tire. Any experience with this or thoughts?

Some tires develop flat spots overnight that make for a rough ride the next morning until they warm up.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Some tires develop flat spots overnight that make for a rough ride the next morning until they warm up.

I was a bus driver in high school. Almost every bus i drove exhibited what you describe. I think then we had some nylon compound tire. Once the tires got a bit of heat in them it went away.

Have the tires been road forced balanced? Maybe a stiff area in the sidewall of one or more tires that softens as the tire heats up.

It could be a split belt.

Also has anyone ever used fix-a-flat on it? They do that until it heats a re-distributes.

Yup

Had a terrible set of Kumho Supra Exsta's that used to do that.

If the problem disappears after a few miles that sounds like flat spotting from sitting in one place.
Maybe raise pressure a little? If it does not help live with it.

Krzys

If the vibration is completely gone after driving a few miles, it's flat spots. More noticeable on low profile tires.

My Pirelli P4's did this when sitting too long(more than a day). But these were still one if not the best tire I ever owned.

My RSX will do this and once warmed up it drives like a Benz.

Some tires including better brands(Conti DWS, Pirelli P-ZERO in my experience) exhibit this behavior as they flat spot and once slightly warm work it out.

225/40/18 is a harder size to hide any tire imperfections.

Your tires do so because because of the nylon belt(s).
Tire makers came up with fancy new names for new and improved nylon belts like polymide.

Tires with nylon belts listed on the tire plies construction tend to handle great.

You cant have the best of everything when it comes to tires.

A lot of replacement tires offered in your size may provide a better ride, but wont give you the razor sharp steering response
Dodge chose to equip your car with.

An example would be if your OEM tires have 2 sidewall plies. Replacing them with tires with with 1 sidewall ply will take away handling.
Many people will pull out of the tire shop after such a tire choice and say "these tires ride so much better".
Lets see what happens when you hit that on-ramp at 50 MPH Gilligan.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW's on my BMW do that after sitting overnight regardless of the outside temp, still a great tire for the $$.

Yup my Conti DW do this if the car sits for more than a day or two. Goes away in the first mile. Soft summer tires with 5,200lbs squashing them will do it.

Nylon tires will do that really bad in very cold weather. They feel like their are really flat as you hop down the road for a few miles until they figure themselves out.

So I gather this is normal? And widely accepted? I've never had tires do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back