1985 Dodge Ram 225 ci 6 cyl Rotella T4 15W40 2.8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Here's a UOA on my 1985 Dodge Ram D100 with a 3.7L inline Slant 6.

Something happened with the report and got the mileage and make up oil all wrong. The actual oil mileage was 2,800-2,900 mi. NOT 21,800. Make up oil was 1 quart and NOT 7. Vehicle mileage is correct at 64,000.

With that being said; how does this UOA look? Everything seems to look good, to me, but iron has me concerned. The universal average is for 5,500 miles and I went just under 3,000 and iron is close to that average. Would this be a bad sign, or no? Zinc surprised me at well past 1,200 PPM. Truck runs fantastic. Thanks!

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
Leaning Tower of Power!

These engines last forever. Iron does look a little high. What was the usage pattern and I am thinking there were some cold-ish starts over the winter?

Non gas certified Rotella oils have unmolested Zn/P levels. HDEO are long drain oils, its' TBN is probably at 75% still, why is it changed so soon?

Thanks for the replies. The reason I changed it is because it has sat for years and it is just now been getting back on the road in the last 6 months and has some oil leaks and I'm doing some short intervals to flush any contaminates that might exist in the oil. According to the UOA, doesn't look like there's any contaminates. I did the UOA just to be sure it'd be ok to go longer. And yes, there were some cold starts over the winter and I hope that explains the higher iron. Most of the time, I drive it maybe 2-3 times a week for short distances. Sometimes, cold start temps down in 30s during the interval.

I plan to push it to 5,000 this time around and resample.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. Might want to take some longer drives, make sure it gets nice and hot.

More iron makes sense now, there have been several UOAs for vehicles that have sat awhile, all...ALL of them had high iron when first brought back to life. I would expect the iron to trend downward over time...

Slant 6? Listen to Detroit diezel advice . Put sae 40 and let it warm . (yep even if it's hard to start (doubtful) you are better boosting it
Aside from that ? Keep having fun

Everything looks good except for iron.
The high iron is probably due to internal corrosion while left sitting.
I had no idea that the six was still available in the half ton truck as late as 1985.
This must be one slow moving machine and I'd bet that your Ford gets better mileage.
Since everything other than iron looks okay, you probably have a sound old engine that should give you many more miles of driving at a relaxed speed.

The slant six is one of my all time favorite engines. My first truck was a hand me down 1987 D150 long bed with a slant six and an overdrive 4 speed. The engine had 466,000 miles on it when we junked the teuck and put the engine in my buddies boat whereit still lives and runs today! TThey're fantastic engines and this one looks great too. Iron is a little high but not worrisome it'll settle down with more frequent use I suspect. Thanks for the report.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Everything looks good except for iron.
The high iron is probably due to internal corrosion while left sitting.
I had no idea that the six was still available in the half ton truck as late as 1985.
This must be one slow moving machine and I'd bet that your Ford gets better mileage.
Since everything other than iron looks okay, you probably have a sound old engine that should give you many more miles of driving at a relaxed speed.

I had the same engine in a station wagon and got 22 miles per gallon on a regular basis going 80 miles an hour.... in the one barrel carburetor it was a pretty weak engine; once you got to a two barrel with the correct intake and exhaust it made decent power. With the correct modifications and a four barrel carburetor, the 225 can make upwards of 400 hp reliably. It just depends on which version OP has; in a truck in the 80s I would think it's the two barrel version. These motors were not made for horsepower, but they do have great torque.

Originally Posted By: Backwoods41695
Thanks for the replies. The reason I changed it is because it has sat for years and it is just now been getting back on the road in the last 6 months and has some oil leaks and I'm doing some short intervals to flush any contaminates that might exist in the oil. According to the UOA, doesn't look like there's any contaminates. I did the UOA just to be sure it'd be ok to go longer. And yes, there were some cold starts over the winter and I hope that explains the higher iron. Most of the time, I drive it maybe 2-3 times a week for short distances. Sometimes, cold start temps down in 30s during the interval.

I plan to push it to 5,000 this time around and resample.

This usage pattern promotes corrosion wear .... as evidenced in high 24 ppm of Fe.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I love these old Chrysler Slants. This one was given to me by my Grandad right before he passed during Christmas. For 20 years, it only got drove maybe say 5 miles every 2 months, until now. It has the TorqFlite automatic, 1 barrel Holley carburetor and I believe 3.23 rear gears On the highway at 70 mph, I've seen it get as good as 17 MPG, by hand calculations.

It's definitely not a dragster, though. 95 hp can make it seem impossible to merge onto the freeway, but once it gets up to speed, it'll actually run 80 comfortably. Thanks!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Slant 6? Listen to Detroit diezel advice . Put sae 40 and let it warm . (yep even if it's hard to start (doubtful) you are better boosting it

Learn how to spell correct or keep quiet

Thank you

Thanks guys! Yeah, I love these old Chrysler Slants. This one was given to me by my Grandad right before he passed during Christmas. For 20 years, it only got drove maybe say 5 miles every 2 months, until now. It has the TorqFlite automatic, 1 barrel Holley carburetor and I believe 3.23 rear gears On the highway at 70 mph, I've seen it get as good as 17 MPG, by hand calculations.

It's definitely not a dragster, though. 95 hp can make it seem impossible to merge onto the freeway, but once it gets up to speed, it'll actually run 80 comfortably. Thanks!
smile.gif

Thanks for UOA!
smile.gif

Dad has a 81' P/U with this engine in it. Reliable engines and legendary

My only experiences with this engine involved two vehicles owned by friends, a '74 Valiant and an early seventies Dodge half ton with three on the tree.
Both were bog slow and thirsty.
The OP writes that he's seeing 17 mpg which seems pretty good.

Originally Posted By: car51

Thank you

smile.gif

Thanks for UOA!
smile.gif

🙄

Call or email Blackstone Labs. They will correct the mileage discrepancy and send out a new report.

OP - 24 ppm iron is nothing - no worries. Your planned 5k OCI sounds fine. car51 - ease up on the French guy - English is not his 1st language - he's doing fine getting his message across.

Hi, guys. I got a new report sent out. They also had engine type incorrect as a Magnum V6. Now they corrected it to a 225 inline Slant 6. Now the averages have went up. Apparently the Slant 6 sheds a lot of iron and copper. What do you guys think?

Thank you

smile.gif

Thanks for UOA!
smile.gif

🙄

BE QUIET ALREADY AND STOP SPEAKING EBONICS!!

Please relax. Each generation has its codes and buzzwords. A racist attack on another member because they used something you don't understand is completely unwarranted.

I'd like to get educated on what those meant so if anyone can tell me in a PM I'd appreciate it.

Hi, guys. I got a new report sent out. They also had engine type incorrect as a Magnum V6. Now they corrected it to a 225 inline Slant 6. Now the averages have went up. Apparently the Slant 6 sheds a lot of iron and copper. What do you guys think?

Looks good! Inline sixes seem to throw a lot of iron; it will be interesting to see the next UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back