Battery sub-forum???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think we could use a separate battery forum? Seem to be a lot of battery questions that pop up in different forums, and having them all in one forum would be nice to search for info on.
It could include all types batteries: car, motorcycle, alarm, small electronics, rechargeable, AGM, Lead Acid, Marine etc.

I don't know why everyone doesn't just buy Johnson Controls and be done with it... Great reliable batteries made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I don't know why everyone doesn't just buy Johnson Controls and be done with it... Great reliable batteries made in the USA.

Actually many of us prefer Deka/East Penn which are superior in my opinion. They almost never leak compared to JCI which can leak albeit much less likely than Exide junk.

The only reason I ever end up with a JCI is because the warranty is 3 years just like Super start east Penn from O'Reilly but advance always has those good coupons which make it a better value.

All you'll end up with is another sub-forum that is filled with threads from people suggesting you just buy one brand and be done with it, and other people defending the brand that they purchase because they're superior to the brand that someone else suggested. Neither side will provide any real data backing up their assertions, and you could find more information with a general Internet search.

If you have battery problems though it could be an alternator or ground and then it spills back into mechanical. And the wrx guy would start talking about his aftermarket voltage dials.
laugh.gif

Yes they are in the "better" category. But they are other manufacturers in the "best" category.

I believe some JCI batteries are made in Saudi Arabia. Unconfirmed however.

JCI batteries... Made in Mexico/Saudi Arabia and are the best only when shopping price.

East Penn/DEKA are USA made and top the list when shopping quality.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
All you'll end up with is another sub-forum that is filled with threads from people suggesting you just buy one brand and be done with it, and other people defending the brand that they purchase because they're superior to the brand that someone else suggested. Neither side will provide any real data backing up their assertions, and you could find more information with a general Internet search.

Kind of like an oil thread? Seriously, sometimes I think this place would be better off if it had fewer sub-forums rather than more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Actually many of us prefer Deka/East Penn which are superior in my opinion. They almost never leak compared to JCI which can leak albeit much less likely than Exide junk.

The only reason I ever end up with a JCI is because the warranty is 3 years just like Super start east Penn from O'Reilly but advance always has those good coupons which make it a better value.
No question Deka makes the better battery. A lot of Deka products are in commercial use, but they keep a low profile hereabouts. They DO have a local warehouse for their commercial customers.

OH-you mean kinda like a tire thread..........

Yeah, I thought about the fact that there are already a bunch of sub-forums, but having a battery sub-forum (not charging issue threads and such) would be a good resource.
Having a forum with who makes what and such would be nice, but agree there would probably be a lot of pointless posts (kind of like this thread).

Originally Posted By: eljefino
And the wrx guy would start talking about his aftermarket voltage dials.
laugh.gif

You've not lived until you can control vehicular voltage at the spin of a potentiometer dial
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Or what oil to use in OPE.. Sheesh, in those its everything from straight 30 wt. to 20w-50, to my grand daddy never changed oil... blah, blah.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: CKN

Or what oil to use in OPE.. Sheesh, in those its everything from straight 30 wt. to 20w-50, to my grand daddy never changed oil... blah, blah.
smirk.gif

Good one! Too funny!
smile.gif

All you plebs with your JCI and Deka batteries. My Odyssey is Far Superior to any of that junk.
tbh, it really doesn't come up that often from what Ive seen. Though it would give me an excuse to post my mod bumping the alternator voltage up to improve the charging of the aformentioned Odyssey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I think it would fit better to this kind of forum as an auto electrical sub forum better than bicycles, food and firearms.
27.gif

That...is true.
I just don't know if then it might be reasonable to split Mech/Maintenance into like
Powertrain
Electrical
Steering & Suspension
Body & Chassis

Last edited:
re: "Having a forum with who makes what and such would be nice" see: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm.

Trying to determine which manufacturer made a particular battery for a brand isn't entirely straightforward. Some brands will source from different manufacturers for different group/sizes or for different regions (to reduce shipping costs). Brands may change manufacturers from time to time, and some manufacturers will source from their competitors in order to complete their product offering (i.e. cover more cars, battery types, etc. than they make themselves).

This site has lots of excellent, detailed information about car batteries: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq.htm

Another site that has useful information is: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/sharing_battery_knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back