Tire Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great title eh?

Only put 12k of easy driving on Tundra 09 a year. Limited budget.

So I found two used tires discountusedtire here.

Then purchase two new tires of same brand/model here discountusedtire

Again, just trying to save a few dollars and considering my driving circumstances?

Should be ok on the Tundra?

Be NICE! Just asking for opinions.

4wd. Didn't use it once last winter. (only had the truck for 1 year).

Reason I selected tire was decent rating and looked ok/side wall half aggressive.

I didn't see any mention of how old those used tires are, and they certainly slathered on the tire dressing to try and make them look good.

I would buy a full set of the least expensive tires that Discount tire direct sells, that will work for your application, before I bought two used mystery tires.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I would buy a full set of the least expensive tires that Discount tire direct sells, that will work for your application, before I bought two used mystery tires.

This. Wait for the memorial day sale.

$168 for a pair of used tires? Did you see yourself in this situation when you bought the truck?

I remember user supton saying he was trying to sell a set of tires from his Tundra. Not sure of the size but maybe ask him? He lives in NH so not too far from you. Might be worth the trip.

Coopns
Have you tried looking for used tires on Craigslist? I buy Michelin tires and drive them until they are about 60-75% warn and sell them on Craigslist. In fact I sold a set last week.

I'd buy the General Grabber HTS60, tbh.

I have them on a 2WD Dakota. I've driven them in the snow without chains. Really quiet on the highway.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I'd buy the General Grabber HTS60, tbh.

I have them on a 2WD Dakota. I've driven them in the snow without chains. Really quiet on the highway.

+1

They are good tires and can be had cheaply via Discount Tire stores during the sales.

Originally Posted By: coopns

Reason I selected tire was decent rating and looked ok/side wall half aggressive.

Then it's going to be important that all four have the same tread depth, or as close as possible.

I see the used ones have 9-10 32nds on them; what's the tread depth on a new one?

You'll definitely want the new ones on the back.

Tires are one thing I'll never purchased used. There is simply no way to know what may have been done to the tire; run low on pressure for a long time, several punctures, been in an accident, etc.

Looking at those prices, you're only effectively saving the price of a single tire. You can find new tires that will do what you need them to do, granted they may not have that "aggressive" look that is apparently a priority for you. Personally I don't care how a tire looks as long as it does what I need it to do-safely.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I remember user supton saying he was trying to sell a set of tires from his Tundra. Not sure of the size but maybe ask him? He lives in NH so not too far from you. Might be worth the trip.

Actually... I still have them. Been sitting in my shed for, oh, 3 years now... 8 or 9 32's. Set of 4, Bridgestone Duelers 684's, date code of somewhere in 2012, 255 70 18. Not sure if that means dried out or not. They look ok, certainly have less rot than my Michelins... I know I pulled them off as the reviews were never that great for them, and I wanted to try out the much-vaulted LTX's.

cpopns, PM if you're willing to meeting in Nashua or Manchester.

Last edited:
^ this is how you do it.

Those internet used tires were pulled by who-knows-who. If a tire dealer, it's because they shake or otherwise offended the owner. If a junkyard, they could be okay but very very greedy. I would want to hold the tire in person and look for scrubbing on the scalloping inside, bead problems, date codes, etc all of which are missing from the listing.

I'll pay $20 for a nearly new junkyard tire as the car it was on probably rusted out. But near $100, no way.

If you look on craigslist you can get lucky when someone mis-types the size, or omits it entirely and lists it as a "toyota tire".

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: coopns

Then it's going to be important that all four have the same tread depth, or as close as possible.

I see the used ones have 9-10 32nds on them; what's the tread depth on a new one?

You'll definitely want the new ones on the back.

^^^^^^ this
Different tread depth will ruin your transfer case.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ this is how you do it.

Those internet used tires were pulled by who-knows-who. If a tire dealer, it's because they shake or otherwise offended the owner. If a junkyard, they could be okay but very very greedy. I would want to hold the tire in person and look for scrubbing on the scalloping inside, bead problems, date codes, etc all of which are missing from the listing.

I'll pay $20 for a nearly new junkyard tire as the car it was on probably rusted out. But near $100, no way.

If you look on craigslist you can get lucky when someone mis-types the size, or omits it entirely and lists it as a "toyota tire".

Great thougths eljefino. That is why I enjoy the discussions here, many different points to consider.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: 02SE

This. Wait for the memorial day sale.

$168 for a pair of used tires? Did you see yourself in this situation when you bought the truck?

This x10

Discount Tire / Direct holiday sales are unbeatable, with their rebates. If you're lucky, you could qualify for the car care one card and get 6 months interest free to pay them off, as it sounds like that could be beneficial to you (just don't overpay!)

Not worth it. New tires are listed as having a tread depth of 13/32" and I know one can't differentiate 4 mms from a photo but the used tires just don't look like 9/32". Plus all the pointy parts of the sipes are gone, which is normal but this is a hard wearing tire. Gotta wonder how many miles. Too many variables, and too expensive for what they are. If they were some customer return after 3,000 miles for a noise complaint ok.
The pricing strategy concerns me also. "Two for the price of one" baloney. Should be half what they're asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back