Hesitate between two Mobil1 synthetic oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, folks.

Honda Accord (known as Acura TSX in the U.S.) owner here. 2.0 l gasoline engine. Living and driving in Greece. Still hesitate between two Mobil1 oils.
5w30 ESP OR 0w40.
Here are the specs:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 specs:

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 72.8
@ 100ºC 12.1
Viscosity Index 164
Sulphated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.6
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.58
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -45
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 254
Density @ 15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.850

MOBIL1 0w40 Specs:

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 75
@ 100ºC 13.5
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

I guess they are pretty similar and both should work pretty fine, however, in terms of protection/fuel economy/performance what would you choose?

Thanks.

Those are two different oils made for two different applications.
You could use ESP in Greece since Greece has ULSG. I personally would use M1 0W40 since you in EU still use old VISOM base 0W40 which is very stout.
Both are good, both will work in Greece. If you have any doubts about quality of gas, then stick to 0W40.

edyvw, thanks for your prompt response.

I forgot to say the car has 75,000 km on the odometer if that matters. So far I have used the 5w30 ESP without any issues. However, my main concern is the very hot weather in summer with ambient temperatures exceeding 40C (104F). I DO know outside temperature is not considered when it comes to viscosity since engine runs at constant temperature.
Here are some specs that I'd like to consider while making my choice:

Viscosity Index: 164 (5w30 ESP) vs 185 (0w40)
HTHS Viscosity: 3.58 (5w30 ESP) vs 3.8 (0w40). The higher, the better protection, right? Is the difference significant?
Sulphated Ash: 0.6 (5w30 ESP) vs 1.3 (0w40). Correct me if I am wrong but the lower the better, right?

Last edited:
With that HTHS on the esp you are fine
smile.gif

The accord engine are making it almost 70-100Kkm in the States before dying from 0w20/5w20.

Stck with a MIN ACEA A3,B4 30 grade.

Last edited:
Protection: M1 0w40 due to higher Phosphorous and HTHS
Fuel economy: M1 5w30 ESP due to lower HTHS
Performance: M1 5w30 may allow the engine to make a very slight skosh more power due to lower viscosity, but you would have a hard time measuring the difference.

Both are fine oils.
Does your car require a low-SAPS oil for emissions system protection? Then use the 5w30.
Do you want to run extended oil drain intervals? Then use the 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Proxyon
edyvw, thanks for your prompt response.

I forgot to say the car has 75,000 km on the odometer if that matters. So far I have used the 5w30 ESP without any issues. However, my main concern is the very hot weather in summer with ambient temperatures exceeding 40C (104F). I DO know outside temperature is not considered when it comes to viscosity since engine runs at constant temperature.
Here are some specs that I'd like to consider while making my choice:

Viscosity Index: 164 (5w30 ESP) vs 185 (0w40)
HTHS Viscosity: 3.58 (5w30 ESP) vs 3.8 (0w40). The higher, the better protection, right? Is the difference significant?
Sulphated Ash: 0.6 (5w30 ESP) vs 1.3 (0w40). Correct me if I am wrong but the lower the better, right?

I use Mobil1 5W30 ESP in winter and used it in summer when I get it on sale. I used that oil in middle of summer in Las Vegas and Greec will never be hot as Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Protection: M1 0w40 due to higher Phosphorous and HTHS
Fuel economy: M1 5w30 ESP due to lower HTHS
Performance: M1 5w30 may allow the engine to make a very slight skosh more power due to lower viscosity, but you would have a hard time measuring the difference.

Both are fine oils.
Does your car require a low-SAPS oil for emissions system protection? Then use the 5w30.
Do you want to run extended oil drain intervals? Then use the 0w40.

The difference in HTHS between ESP and 0W40 is not going to contribute to any meaningful fuel consumption decrees. ESP is not energy conserving oil and its HTHS is almost on par with HTHS in many 5W40 oils.

I'm actually not sure of the NOACK of the 0W-40, but it's about 6% for the ESP. This is an outstanding result and suggests to me that ESP is very well suited to high temp applications...note that the flashpoint of the ESP is also substantially higher than the 0W40's.
The starting TBN of the ESP is quite low, and, as edyvw refers to above, it is not suited for long OCIs on American fuel. Probably a different story in Europe, but still probably not a great choice for really long OCIs anywhere.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif

The accord engine are making it almost 70-100Kkm in the States before dying from 0w20/5w20.

Do you have references to support this statement.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm actually not sure of the NOACK of the 0W-40, but it's about 6% for the ESP. This is an outstanding result and suggests to me that ESP is very well suited to high temp applications...note that the flashpoint of the ESP is also substantially higher than the 0W40's.
The starting TBN of the ESP is quite low, and, as edyvw refers to above, it is not suited for long OCIs on American fuel. Probably a different story in Europe, but still probably not a great choice for really long OCIs anywhere.

M1 0W40 in Europe is still old VISOM based, so NOACK is 8.7%.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
smile.gif

If you mean 70-100KM before dying - that was sarcasm.

Many are dying (excessive oil usage) due to VVTi retard and close couple cat problems ala Nissan. There are Honda TSB. My coworker has one affected. My past 3 Subaru have been affected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tech819
smile.gif

If you mean 70-100KM before dying - that was sarcasm.

Many are dying (excessive oil usage) due to VVTi retard and close couple cat problems ala Nissan. There are Honda TSB. My coworker has one affected. My past 3 Subaru have been affected.

ARCO----from your prior posts, I thought you would have worked alone--ie no co-workers possible.
Now that was sarcasm
Steve

Thank you everyone for helping with your feedback and opinion.
I have already made up my mind - I'll stick to the ESP 5w30.
My main concern was (and still is) the hot Greek summer and the engine protection. 0w40 could give me better protection but the difference with the ESP seems insignificant.

My main concern was (and still is) the hot Greek summer and the engine protection. 0w40 could give me better protection but the difference with the ESP seems insignificant.

I ran that oil while driving through deserts of Utah, Nevada, California and Arizona. Trust me, Greece will NEVER be that hot!

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I ran that oil while driving through deserts of Utah, Nevada, California and Arizona. Trust me, Greece will NEVER be that hot!

Thanks, edyvw.

smile.gif

Maybe they die if they never have an OCI in 100,000 KM on 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back