I am done with Discount Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Last year, I bought 4 wheels and tires for my 06 Colorado at the local DT.

First time I went back for free rotation, they stripped a wheel lug on the LR of the truck. Had to take it to my mechanic to get it fixed as DT doesn't fix their mistakes.

Yesterday I went for the second rotation, and on the right rear, they had to snap a lug to get the wheel off. They are the only ones that have touched the wheels other that the LR since I bought them.

So I took the truck to my local Les Schwab and in 30 minutes for $30, I was good to go.

So when the Duratracs wear out, I am going to Schwab for tires.

Bye Bye Discount Tire.

Lazy tire tech with zero pride in the quality of their work.
95% of people working on cars for a living don't care if they damage your vehicle.

BITOGism that's not true.
Sure there are some as you say "don't care" -but the 95% number is "outrageously" over exaggerated.

DT has been by far the best tire place I've ever patronized. I'm a former tire seller and installer, so I know what to look for. I didn't ever work for DT, by the way. I worked at different places.

I can tell you at my local store they do things by the book and properly torque wheels. They may use a torque stick to get it close, but they use a torque wrench for the final torque.

Some of the complaints in this thread about DT practices seem questionable, or are being made by people that seem like they aren't knowledgeable. But I don't doubt some people have had issues with DT. They're a big company and clearly not every job can go perfectly.

DT has the best service of any tire place I've used and the best prices, plus they'll match if I find a slightly better price. I can't complain.

When I was tire shopping last January, Tire Barn beat DT by about $50. This could be regional though.

I've had several lug studs break in my driveway in my own hands after I previously correctly torqued them. They have a finite life.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've had several lug studs break in my driveway in my own hands after I previously correctly torqued them. They have a finite life.

That does not sound right at all. I have been working on cars for a living for 20 years, I have never damaged a wheel stud or bolt. But I have fixed many that DIYers, and other shops, have damaged.

Best I saw was one customer that put his wheels loosely on the car, then lowered it onto the ground before tightening the nuts. Bent all 20 wheel studs.

Last edited:
I had an unusual experience with DT a year or so ago with my 2013 Dodge GC. They broke 2 studs and had others that would not torque to spec. When I asked what torque # they were using, their book said 110 ft.lb. I told them that is too much, their book is wrong. Mgr. asked me what I wanted to do. I said, I can't leave. You broke it, you fix it. They ended up replacing all 20 studs and lug nuts. Last fall I had DT put a set of tires on the 2006 Chrysler T&C. The torque specs are now 105 ft. lb.

Originally Posted By: ejes
I have tried the various chain tire shops to save some money several times. It has been hit and miss on satisfaction. I have found that the only places I get consistency for any quality or warranty issues seem to be locally owned shops that specialize in tires, wheels, and alignment. They do tend to cost a little bit more, but many times they provide free services such as rotation, tire patching, etc. I can rotate my own tires, but sometimes I just don't have the time or it is just easier to have the wife drop it off and save my aging back a little wear and tear. After caring for a veritable "fleet" of cars with my wife and kid the last 22+ years, I have relented and picked 2 local tire shops that I trust to buy from and do some of this work. And you know what? I'm actually ok with it. Sometimes I think I've even come out money ahead in the long run, and, at the very least, has been a wash. Being a repeat customer and developing a relationship with them by having my name pop up on their computer has given me some discounts and "free" repeat customer perks. It seems, at least where I live, the tire shop guys are more like the old mechanic shops used to be when you were able to develop a relationship with them that was mutually beneficial and fair..

^^This

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I had an unusual experience with DT a year or so ago with my 2013 Dodge GC. They broke 2 studs and had others that would not torque to spec. When I asked what torque # they were using, their book said 110 ft.lb. I told them that is too much, their book is wrong. Mgr. asked me what I wanted to do. I said, I can't leave. You broke it, you fix it. They ended up replacing all 20 studs and lug nuts. Last fall I had DT put a set of tires on the 2006 Chrysler T&C. The torque specs are now 105 ft. lb.

Wait, so they set them to 110# when it should have been 105#? No way that would damage them.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Wait, so they set them to 110# when it should have been 105#? No way that would damage them.

Nope, not at all.

Their book is not wrong. The 2013 Dodge has a torque spec range of 85 to 115 ft.lb. An extra 5 ft. lbs. is not why the studs broke anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back