F1 - 2017 Russian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They also said that one of the other backmarker teams (Sauber?) may switch to Honda power units.

The Sky coverage seemed to state that was a done deal. Apparently Honda always wanted another team but under Ron Dennis, McLaren had them handcuffed. It'll be interesting to see what ERS Sauber use as McLaren insisted on pairing their own with the Honda donk. Also, credible rumours "one" of the current engine manufacturers has started to share secret sauce with Honda to help them come up to speed. All the scuttlebutt points to Merc but nobody will confirm nor deny.

As was painfully evident on the weekend Renault still have a ways to go to catch up. Nice to see someone giving Merc a run for their money though.

I reckon Ricciardo should give Webber his car back.

McLaren will be back. Heck they still supply *all* of the ECUs for the entire field, it's not like they don't have the pedigree.

My understanding is that the sharing of secret sauce is not a mfr. sharing their specific tech., rather allowing Honda to use Mahle.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

My understanding is that the sharing of secret sauce is not a mfr. sharing their specific tech., rather allowing Honda to use Mahle.

It'll be interesting to see if anything else comes out. I was under the impression there was more to it than that. I believe Merc provided help to Renault back in the early 00's also, so it's not without precedent.

Anyway, anything that brings a bit more parity and therefore competition is a good thing. Frankly I'm astonished Honda are where they are. To me they were always the pinnacle of engine technology. Boring but reliable and fast.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
That depends. It seems to depend on whether his failure to perform is his fault or someone elses. If its his inability to perform (like on the weekend), he's calm and measured about it. If the team or car lets him down then he throws his toys out of the pram and starts with the conspiracy theories.

He was beginning to crack a bit, I would say, listening to the radio messages, when the car was overheating on him.

As for Honda being the pinnacle, Autosport did an editorial about that very issue a couple days back, about how poor their F1 record really is over the years. Other than the glory period, which I believe I posted here when Senna had that whack of wins, and some time before and after that, since that was their same stint in the sport, they have pretty much blown chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back