RPM at freeway speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What RPM does your DD turn while driving down the freeway at 65mph?

My 84 Civic wagon with a 5-speed hits almost exactly 3K at 65 and if the majority of my driving is running down the freeway I'm getting about 41 mpg. The car weighs 2,010 pounds empty with a 1/4 tank of gas and my small took kit. With a mix of city driving it's 37 mpg. No safety anything on board. If I'm hit very hard they'll need a putty knife to remove me from the wreckage. But at least it's easy to pass the California smog test every 2 years and the car is cheap to maintain and is very reliable.

So, what RPM are you turning and what is your fuel mileage at that 65 mph? Oh, and what kind of configuration are you driving?

Navara (3.0 TDi) - 2,700, 5000lb (me and wife over weighbridge at dump), 22.5mpg
Caprice (L67) - 1,800 (give or take) (weight guess at rego papers 4,200lb me and wife) 17MPG
Colorado (2.8 DMax) - 1,700 (give or take), 5460lb (me and wife over weighbridge at dump). 26mpg

The Malibu does 2k @ 70mph. 38hwy The taurus does 2.4k at 70mph. Dont kno mpg wont fill up all the way. 6 speed in the Malibu and 4 speed in the taurus. I drive at 70mph when im on the highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Shannow, what is a Navara?

Rest of world D22 Frontier...specifically this one
P4212495.jpg

Look at that big ol whomping snorkel
smile.gif

Primed and ready for the real deal outback adventure.

Oneyejack my Altima runs at 2400 rpm at 79 mph. This is my cruising speed on the interstate where 70 is posted. I pass many, many state troopers and they have all let me keep on rolling. In fact on July 4th weekend a couple of years ago I passed one state trooper in their car in the median. I was going my typical 79 mph. Less than two miles down the road another state trooper was out of his car holding a radar gun and I was going 78-79 mph. No problem noted.

I will say for all my friends on here... DO NOT go over 80 mph on Interstate 295 near Hopewell VA. The local police officers from Hopewell sit in that 1 mile stretch of I Interstate all the time. In fact that part of 295 has the nickname the "million dollar mile". Hopewell made 1 million dollars worth of tickets on that part of 295. They will let you go up to 80. If you go 81 and over then you will get a ticket. In fact yesterday I saw someone pulled over in that stretch of 295.

Last edited:
65mph = 105km/h.

Ford Falcon (4.0 straight 6 with 4 speed auto) is at 1800rpm. Does 24 US miles per gallon on highway runs at steady 110km/h.
Mitsubishi Outlander (2.2 inline 4 turbo diesel with 6 speed auto) is at 1600rpm. Does 32 US miles per gallon on highway runs at steady 110km/h.

LOL, there's a story there.

The OEM air intake is in the inner wheel arch, around half way between where the snorkel goes through the guard and the front indicator.

I drove through 3" of standing water at around 35MPH one day, and the engine sucked water, enough to kill it, but not enough to break it...looked at Navara forums, and found that it was a really really bad design...so I fitted the snorkel so that I could run through puddles 3" deep...because Nissan messed up the air intake.

The air intake also keeps the air filter really clean, as it's miles above traffic dust...more bugs, less dust.

Ahh.... Yeah they did Jack up intake placement on that.. That is a common flaw for other vehicles as well. Good job correcting it though.

My Rubicon turns about 2,400 rpms at 65 with 4.10 gearing. MPG is currently at 19.2 mpg according to the EVIC.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Look at that big ol whomping snorkel
smile.gif

Oneyejack my Altima runs at 2400 rpm at 79 mph. This is my cruising speed on the interstate where 70 is posted. I pass many, many state troopers and they have all let me keep on rolling. In fact on July 4th weekend a couple of years ago I passed one state trooper in their car in the median. I was going my typical 79 mph. Less than two miles down the road another state trooper was out of his car holding a radar gun and I was going 78-79 mph. No problem noted.

That's how my commute is on I-95 from Delaware to Baltimore. The flow of traffic is 75-80 in a posted 65 and the cops don't even flinch. Pretty ridiculous.

At those speeds, my Neon turns 2700-3000 rpm and my 35000 mile fuel economy average (last year and a half) is 33.5 for my commute and any other driving. >95% of my driving involves my commute.

My commute is 107 miles round trip, consists of 87% highway, 8.5% rural highway and 4.5% neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back