Alonso Indy test May 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not getting what the big deal is and what you really expect out of it just gonnabe a car shake down and about it

Originally Posted By: dave123
Really not getting what the big deal is and what you really expect out of it just gonnabe a car shake down and about it

I realize that many, perhaps most, won't get it, but this is a big deal for everyone involved. Alonso has completed his controlled stage Rookie Orientation Program and is about to go as fast as he can stand. Racer.com who is running the live stream stated they had 500,000 viewers worldwide. Frankly, this is a big shot in the arm for all of motorsports.

Last edited:

It's about participating, even if at a distance, with Alonso and the sport. Most have very positive feelings for Alonso and wish him well. It's the same sort of happiness you feel in your personal life when someone you know and respect does well. Pretty good stream, very enjoyable.

I watched as much as possible. I think I saw 75K people watching at one point. Super cool even though it was just a rookie orientation to see it happen. I think he will do fine, just need to get him in a draft. He has good teachers and is being a sponge.

Watching the stream while doing other things reminds me of the reality of racing or any other testing program. There is lots of sitting around, waiting your turn so to speak, and great patience is needed to continue working through issues while every cell in your body just wants to "go". And that's before things start breaking or otherwise going wrong. People who only see the races don't have a concept of what it takes to get there. Or being out there early enough that dew is still forming on the car and you're cold. Or how good (or bad) coffee tastes at the track. Or the money is gone or almost gone and the trailer needs a bearing and hub. Or a thousand other things they don't "get" on race day.

I'm not ashamed to say I admire racers at all levels. It takes guts and focus. But having said that a goodly portion of racers I've known are not people you would necessarily like. I think you see some of the same personality traits among pilots. That focus takes a toll on some proportion of them as well. Just thinking out loud a little today.

Slightly off topic but if we have to sit through an ABC broadcast of Indy I wish they would at least give us a Paul Page Delta Force opening.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Slightly off topic but if we have to sit through an ABC broadcast of Indy I wish they would at least give us a Paul Page Delta Force opening.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

I realize that many, perhaps most, won't get it, but this is a big deal for everyone involved. Alonso has completed his controlled stage Rookie Orientation Program and is about to go as fast as he can stand. Racer.com who is running the live stream stated they had 500,000 viewers worldwide. Frankly, this is a big shot in the arm for all of motorsports.

few people might watch motorsports than me of all kinds think it's awesome for the sport and world wide but real world is it is not easy and feel people might expect way to much for what he will be doing and that he is a rookie with no or little oval experience in a completely new car and atmosphere finishing the race will be a big accomplishment.

"I knew that Marco was flat out in Turn 1 so I said, I can do flat-out now in Turn 1 because the car is able to do it, so I arrived to Turn 1 and I was convinced 100 percent I was doing flat out, but the foot, it had its own life, it was not connected, my brain and foot at the moment. So the second or third lap I was able to do it ... to be able to feel the respect of the place, the respect of the car, the respect of the speed is something for any racing driver is just pure adrenaline. It was a good day."

Fernando Alonso, Indianapolis May 3, 2017

After reaching 222.5 during his first day on the track. Only 10mph to go.

Last edited:
Alonso is a great Formula 1 driver...... However, he has never had to stare at a concrete wall approaching at over 300 feet per second, while he turns the wheel, with his right foot plastered to the floorboard. The car will either stick... Or it won't. He'll be betting his life it will. That's not easy, or ever will be.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Slightly off topic but if we have to sit through an ABC broadcast of Indy

Turn off the sound and listen to the radio broadcast.

No one else will give Hulman Co. the road race, two days of quals and an hour long pre-game on an over-the-air network.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Alonso is a great Formula 1 driver...... However, he has never had to stare at a concrete wall approaching at over 300 feet per second, while he turns the wheel, with his right foot plastered to the floorboard. The car will either stick... Or it won't. He'll be betting his life it will. That's not easy, or ever will be.
Now let's add 32 other cars and traffic. I wish him the best I'm just saying I think I have real expectations let's just finish the race and hopefully on the lead lap that will be a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back