Bikes Are Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I had our shed broken into a couple days ago and our bikes taken. It just [censored] me off. Work and get your own stuff! I had a Giant Escape 2 and my wife had a CCM bike. I had only ridden mine a couple dozen times after being hit by a pick-up last fall and had the bike repaired and added new brighter lights. Off we go today to add to our local economy!

Ugh, sorry to hear.

Side note, the company I work for shares a building with the Giant bike company in BC. They are literally next door and I see them with cool/interesting bikes regularly.

true story

Sweet Jesus! I'm sorry bro. As an avid biker, I fear that. I have a lot of $$ in bikes. At any time I have 4-7k sitting behind my hitch. Besides the money, the more miles you put on the more connected you feel yo your bike. Similar to a pet. You have to ride a lot to know what that means.

Sucks man. Last year my bike was stolen along with my friends at his house. I kept it there because we would ride downtown all the time. I had that bike since 2002 and parts of it since 1999. I could have used an upgrade by now but I loved that bike and had so many miles on it. There was none other like it since I had pretty much built it up since high school.

Last edited:
Big bummer. I hope you AT LEAST get better bikes with any increase in product knowledge you've amassed.

I impulsively snagged a CCM bike for my SIL in Canada at HUGE savings because the shop was discontinuing bicycles.
It was perfect and she LOVED it more than anything.
They (brother and SIL) kept it in the bottom of the stairway of the 12 family apartment building they lived in at the time.
The neighbors did the same with baby strollers and their bikes too.

There was a "KEEP NOTHING HERE" sign. I said they should keep it inside their apartment. My brother suggested I was a willy-nilly nerd ball.

One morning the entire hallway was cleared of everyone's belongings. No sign of forced entry.

I believe someone with "authority" and booze in his belly got a truck real cheap (or after some other job was done) and did this mean deed.

Bro and SIL kept their wheels hanging upside-down from ceiling hooks after that.

I hate to say "I told you so", but, I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO. Kira

ps NOTE: YOU SAID, "My wife and I had our shed broken into a couple days ago...". SO YOU HAD 'EM STOLEN! (couldn't resist)

I despise thieves.

I've learned from living next to very troublesome neighbors, a good fence, topped with barbed wire is the answer. Camera's don't work, as thieves very often don't care that they are on camera. Heck, my neighbors simply cut the wires on my cameras and then went about my property as they pleased.

In fact, the only thing that was effective was the fence with barbed wire. Nothing else worked. People will steal, damage, destroy, burn or otherwise cause trouble with anything they can get a hold of.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Originally Posted By: CKN
That's what home insurance is for.

No it not. You obviously have not filed a claim.

Yes I have- two claims.
1) For Theft like the OP's
2) Water damage to basement

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I despise thieves.

I've learned from living next to very troublesome neighbors, a good fence, topped with barbed wire is the answer. Camera's don't work, as thieves very often don't care that they are on camera. Heck, my neighbors simply cut the wires on my cameras and then went about my property as they pleased.

In fact, the only thing that was effective was the fence with barbed wire. Nothing else worked. People will steal, damage, destroy, burn or otherwise cause trouble with anything they can get a hold of.

Yikes. I would get the heck out of that neighborhood ASAP.

Barbed wires fences, that reminds me of a guy from Mexico telling me about his wife's neighborhood where she grew up.

I love the neighbourhood and would not move. The police tell me groups move to different areas of the city to do their thing. I had a major water leak after a bathroom reno a couple of years ago. My insurance company kicked out $40 000 for that fix. They are sueing the plumber but it will take time. In the meantime, my rates already increased for this year and I will probably have a hard time finding a new company for a couple of years. So I won't be making any claims.
Back to the bikes... my wife got a Norco Yorkville and I got a Norco VFR 6. I was set on getting an Escape 1 but the VFR is a better sitting position for me. I am not leaning over as much.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I think most home insurance has some goofy stuff like $500 deductible and $1500 limit for bikes... I think we have a $1k deductible so we won't make a claim unless all the bikes are stolen and maybe not then. My bikes are pretty old so they are cheap to replace with used ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back