Hand Winch clean and grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about a 4wd hand winch. I have a similar style to a tirfor. I'm going to clean out the old grease because it's got dirt in it.

Would a general lithium nlgi 2 grease similar to what's used on car uni joints be ok?

Also, how would you go about cleaning and re-greasing the round metal bits?

Cheers,

Daniel.

Id try to clean up as much of the old grease as possible, then pack it full of grease and use it for a little. Take it back apart and clean it out again and re pack.

The grease that is in there does NOT look like anything "special".

Whatever you put back in will likely be 10X (or more) better in quality.

Id probably just wipe as much as I could, then set up a bucket of hot water and degreaser, and soak it. After cleaning like that, wipe with acetone or brake cleaner to dry any water out, and then repack. May need to do it by hand, and/or with a needle on a grease gun.

The lazy way to do it is to use towels and brake cleaner to get just enough grease out to not look dirty, then pack some new grease on top and be done.

It doesn't look that dirty to me.

Personally, I would take it out a safe distance and soak it in a pan of gasoline. Let it soak for an hour, then use a parts brush to clean it. For nonhazardous cleaning use carburetor cleaner, or even purple power. Colman fuel or odorless paint thinner are alternatives. The gasoline will be the quickest. Once clean, use any general purpose grease. Maybe something water resistant like boat trailer grease.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The lazy way to do it is to use towels and brake cleaner to get just enough grease out to not look dirty, then pack some new grease on top and be done.

It doesn't look that dirty to me.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back