coolant to water ratio tropics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHP

What would be the best mix of Motorcraft Gold coolant to water in a country where the temperature is never below 70f? I want to keep the corrosion protection but don't need it to act as antifreeze. I'm going to change my water pump for a high volume one since I road race the car a bit and figured since I'll have to drain the coolant what would be a good ratio or if anyone has any recommendations on another coolant. The Motorcraft has worked fine for the 10 years I've had my 2007 Mustang GT but technology advances and asking never hurts.

Typically the coolant container lists a minimum concentration ratio. It does on the BMW and Toyota red coolant I use (Honda Type 2 is pre-mixed). I would not use a concentration lower than what is recommended.

I've seen somewhere recently that tropical climate coolant ratios should be 60% water, 40% coolant.

Since water has more heat carrying capacity than coolant, this would make sense -- as well as you guys don't need to worry about freezing.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've seen somewhere recently that tropical climate coolant ratios should be 60% water, 40% coolant.

Yes.... anything less than 40% coolant and you start to lose corrosion protection pretty quickly. A lot of auto manufacturers say no less than 44% for corrosion protection reasons.

40% coolant is probably a good place to shoot for since things don't work out perfectly you might be slightly less and you'll still be good. I've seen the 30% number thrown around but you might want a coolant refractometer to verify protection.

Originally Posted By: CHP
Thanks, I'll try 60/40. We only have two seasons hot and hotter so I'm only interested in the cooling and corrosion protection

Adding coolant also elevates the boiling point, although not nearly as dramatically as suppressing the freezing point (at least for low concentrations).

What does the container say for a minimum concentration?

Originally Posted By: CHP
Thanks, I'll try 60/40. We only have two seasons hot and hotter so I'm only interested in the cooling and corrosion protection

60:40 to 40:60 are the limits as per Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back