I am done with Discount Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year, I bought 4 wheels and tires for my 06 Colorado at the local DT.

First time I went back for free rotation, they stripped a wheel lug on the LR of the truck. Had to take it to my mechanic to get it fixed as DT doesn't fix their mistakes.

Yesterday I went for the second rotation, and on the right rear, they had to snap a lug to get the wheel off. They are the only ones that have touched the wheels other that the LR since I bought them.

So I took the truck to my local Les Schwab and in 30 minutes for $30, I was good to go.

So when the Duratracs wear out, I am going to Schwab for tires.

Bye Bye Discount Tire.

I'd send the bills and repair orders to DT in Phoenix and see what they say.
Tell them you are very social media oriented and you have a lot of friends.
Tell us what transpires, nobody wants to relive a nightmare.
Sorry for your troubles.

I have had the wheel end caps fall off on two separate occasions from DT, although I don't know if this is simply what happens after enough tire rotations and installations---perhaps it is old age of the wheels?

I had the opportunity to see them working while waiting for the free air ups for the tires, and those guys do move fast. I don't know if this is simply part of their business model--move fast, move cars in and out, and make a few bucks on each customer--that is causing this or not. I know there are a lot of happy DT customers. Someone told me that perhaps it is simply a given location that isn't too competent, but other DT locations might be better. I'd be interested in hearing other folks' stories.

Les Schwab is great. I've dealt with them for years with no issues. If you live out west, I highly recommend them.

Good for you sir. Honestly, I would have lost my mind had they done that to one of mine. Props for being able to keep your cool.

I would guess every location is different. The DT I go to is awesome. The Les Schwab near me, not so much. Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I have used America's Tire, the sister of Discount Tire, and was concerned about the tire tech either not properly torqueing the lug nuts or doing some other oddball, crazy stuff that may cause me problems. I was watching my vehicle being worked on like a hawk from the glass window in the waiting room. Lucky for me, everything went well and the tire tech seemed very professional.

I always prefer to bring wheels in for tire mounting without them attached to a vehicle. Less chances for a screw-up that way. And if that's not an option, if I can't watch them torque the lugs by hand with a torque wrench, they're not touching it and I'm going elsewhere.

When problems happen at places like this, I see at least two options. You can work with the manager and attempt to get things made right. Or, you can do as you did and take your business elsewhere. Not having them accommodate your repairs costs more money for you and doesn't effect any improvement on their part. One of those lose-lose situations.

The reality is that any business is only as good as the on-site managers and employees, regardless of reputation. There is a huge difference in customer service at the six NAPA stores in my area.

Les Schwab has its share of bad stores also.

https://www.[censored].com/les-schwab-tire-centers/RT-F.html

I would be p.o.ed too if they didn't make things right. The DT's around here operate different. I hope you get better service at Les Schwab.

I had 4 cars serviced at 4 different Discount Tires for 10 years with no problems at all. When my kids were away at school, I decided to use them because they are everywhere. I think it is your location.

The manager did say that they will reimburse me for the fix, but that is not the point. The point is that they broke it, but can't fix it on site, same visit.

Les Schwab can and will.

Les Schwab is very customer oriented. However-they sell 2nd tier tires at name brand tire prices.

Not a place to buy tires IMHO.

I would try to find a good independent tire shop/garage to service your tire needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
The manager did say that they will reimburse me for the fix, but that is not the point. The point is that they broke it, but can't fix it on site, same visit.

Les Schwab can and will.

I see that as just a price of their business model. Not doing mechanical work (stocking lug studs, nuts, other parts, tools required, techs with the correct training, online manuals to provide methods, etc.) and not doing alignments is what enables them to have quick turn-around times for tire installations, low overhead costs, and low prices. Statistically (if there techs use proper techniques), they aren't going to break many lug studs. Its unfortunate that you fell outside the standard distribution, but even if it happened to me (once...) that wouldn't send me away to a place with higher overhead and higher prices, plus slower turn times. If they consistently did it, then I'd gripe about their methods and say they should train their techs better... but in my experience I've had far LESS damage like that at Discount than anywhere else.

The damage that caused your two studs to break may have happened with ONE tech overtorquing them that time they were first installed. In fact if I were you, I'd be wondering if I should pre-emtively replace all the studs on the rear axle...
Whether you never go back to DT because of this or not is your call, by all means, but odds are that tech is already gone or has learned to follow procedure for too many come-backs.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Les Schwab is very customer oriented. However-they sell 2nd tier tires at name brand tire prices.

Not a place to buy tires IMHO.

I would try to find a good independent tire shop/garage to service your tire needs.

Les Schwab can get any tire you want. You don't have to buy Toyos.....

And I would rather have to wait a little longer for installation or rotation and have it done correctly.

The fact that I have two Les Schwabs within 7 miles of my house helps make this decision easier. The DT is 18 miles away. I saved money up front, but two 36 mile trips for rotations, and now TWO trips to get repairs has negated any up front savings.

Last edited:
I like discount tire but I know that their wheel torquing practices are terrible. They run the lugs on with an impact wrench and "check" torque after with a torque wrench. They've stripped more than one wheel bolt on my mercedes. I tell them that they better not use any impact on that car. I have yet to see a stripped stud on my other vehicles, but I do go home an retorque my wheels with my torque wrench.

It seems kind of ridiculous, but you can take a semi permanent marker and write "HAND TORQUE ONLY TO XX LB FT" on each wheel and they will abide.

The techs aren't breaking things on purpose, but that also doesn't mean you can't provide additional guidance for how they do things. It is your money after all.

I've done similar like when I go get an alignment, I will use tape to mark what I think is top dead center on the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I always prefer to bring wheels in for tire mounting without them attached to a vehicle. Less chances for a screw-up that way. And if that's not an option, if I can't watch them torque the lugs by hand with a torque wrench, they're not touching it and I'm going elsewhere.

That's what I do. A bit of a pain but I just don't trust them with my car. Last time I got new tires on a brand new set of wheels I bought they scratched and dinged 3 of them and it took many months of back and forth [censored] to fix them.

Originally Posted By: paulri
I have had the wheel end caps fall off on two separate occasions from DT, although I don't know if this is simply what happens after enough tire rotations and installations---perhaps it is old age of the wheels?

I had the opportunity to see them working while waiting for the free air ups for the tires, and those guys do move fast. I don't know if this is simply part of their business model--move fast, move cars in and out, and make a few bucks on each customer--that is causing this or not. I know there are a lot of happy DT customers. Someone told me that perhaps it is simply a given location that isn't too competent, but other DT locations might be better. I'd be interested in hearing other folks' stories.

They didn't snap on all the way, so they flew off. Sometimes it looks like they're on, but one little snap may not be on all the way.

Originally Posted By: paulri

fast is not good.
what you want is care in tightening, and precision in balancing.
using hi speed impact wrenches and in a hurry is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back