VW Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I see are two white SUVs... And that's where the similarities end.

I'll take the VW. Better styling, better driving dynamics, more interior space, better build quality, and I'd put good money down that it'll last longer and with less issues than that FCA P.O.S.

Yes as WK2 sells 300K units a year to 15K for VW LOL

Does VW have 390 HP, 485HP and 707 HP in their Atlas?

HOW DARE VW MAKE A CHRYSLER COPY!!!!

routan-1.jpg

Oh nevermind.

Anyway, I don't think the Alas is really copying the JGC. Meh, not quite. I think the Honda CRV redesign was cribbing the Mitsubishi Outlander. Or that Audi was cribbing Hyundai. But at this point all "SUV/Crossovers" are basically in the same boat as all manufacturers do not want to stand out as sales is all about being bland.

Mitsu2017OutlanderPHEV_87.jpg

2017-honda-cr-v-front_11813_032_640x480_wb.png

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
HOW DARE VW MAKE A CHRYSLER COPY!!!!

Oh nevermind.

Anyway, I don't think the Alas is really copying the JGC. Meh, not quite. I think the Honda CRV redesign was cribbing the Mitsubishi Outlander. Or that Audi was cribbing Hyundai. But at this point all "SUV/Crossovers" are basically in the same boat as all manufacturers do not want to stand out as sales is all about being bland.

I see Nissan Rogue in the side of the Atlas.

I call it flattery. Unspoken compliments among competition in the automotive industry.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Longitudinally mounted is side to side

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/automotive/2018-volkswagen-atlas-like-an-open-book-on-america-588896

One of the pictures has the VR6 and it's in there sideways.

Nope, longitudinally is ALONG the major axis...Transverse is across ways.

I can't believe we are arguing over this. It's pretty clear that longitude is a transverse engine in this case. VW says it's longitudinally mounted, engine bay pictures show it is transverse. Latitude is N-S which is typically referred to a front-back engine configuration.

"In automotive engineering, a longitudinal engine is an internal combustion engine in which the crankshaft is oriented along the long axis of the vehicle, front to back."

wiki

I think Miller88 is just trying to point out the inconsistency between what's noted on VW's website (longitudinal) and reality (transverse).

This article confirms it's a transverse setup, which all the engine bay photos confirm:
http://www.tflcar.com/2017/04/2018-volkswagen-atlas-sel-premium-awd-test-drive-review/

After all, the Atlas is built on the MQB platform, which assumes transverse engine layout. Had it been a longitudinal setup, it would have been built on the MLB platform instead.

For what it's worth, I own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel (bought new, currently have 65K miles on it, towing, Jeep Jamboree's, daily driver) and a 2017 Audi Q7 (FULLY loaded 3.0T). They both are really nice, honestly feel like the same class of vehicle. Each do some things better than the other, but I sincerely love both.

Drove Atlas recently. Probably MOST practical vehicle in the segment. VW really did good job when it comes to space. The trick with second row and folding with child seat is really, really good. I was thinking to get it once BMWs warranty expires which would fall in time for second kid. BMW is great so far, but with one kid on long trips (1000+ miles) there is just enough space for three of us. With second kid it might become a problem.
Atlas would solve that problem. That thing is so well designed inside.
HOWEVER, VR6 is a huge miss! It is so underpowered that it is ridiculous. I do not want to imagine driving that with 4-5 people inside over Rocky Mountains.
Chinese market is getting for same vehicle 2.5 V6 Turbo. Why that is not available in the U.S. is a question, and I think answer is that VW wants to offer as simple as possible engine for the buyers in this segment who usually know that car has 4 wheels and that is it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Why that is not available in the U.S. is a question, and I think answer is that VW wants to offer as simple as possible engine for the buyers in this segment who usually know that car has 4 wheels and that is it.

Vw does not want to steal sales away from Audi Q7.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why that is not available in the U.S. is a question, and I think answer is that VW wants to offer as simple as possible engine for the buyers in this segment who usually know that car has 4 wheels and that is it.

Vw does not want to steal sales away from Audi Q7.

Yes, definiately reason. Though VW cheapened Atlas to the level of Pilot, Highlander and similar vehicles (OK when cleaning baby vomit etc.).
However, that VR6 is definiately stranger in the vehicle. It is for sure smoothest running V6 due to angle, but still....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Ah, good ole JEEP:

Ah, good ole TOYOTA:

Agree, same s...
But, still, comparing to pick up truck? Not high bar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back