Cracked oil pan repaired(Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off a Chevy van of some sort. The customer cracked the pan installing the trans.

Last edited:
Pretty nice repair, although if he used Mobil 1 for 10k intervals this wouldn't have happened.

smile.gif

Great pics. The joke on the E 28 board is the thread starts with questions about lowering. Despite cautions about cutting coils, He drops car an inch or a little more. Couple weeks later, guy is looking for a pan. I just wanna know how a pan is broken during a trans install ? Don't take it to those guys again
grin2.gif

The repair looks good. How much is the repair vs. the cost of the pan? Or was it a time/availability issue?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The repair looks good. How much is the repair vs. the cost of the pan? Or was it a time/availability issue?

Time and availability. The customer was not able to find a pan in this area without having to buy the entire engine.

I repaired a re-built trans for Fed-X. The mechanics dropped the new trans and broke a chunk out of the area where the pan bolts to the trans. This was for a MB sprinter. I have weld repaired a lot of timing chain covers, bell housings, aluminum and cast iron heads, etc. for engines and trans

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Good to see that things still get properly repaired from time to time.

These days we do live in a throw-a-way society. Over the years I have saved customers 10s of 1000s of dollars in welded repairs. Many repaired items simply can't be purchased.

Nice. I had a guy weld my pan for a temp probe and I kept thinking it was the fitting leaking, nope it was the weld.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Nice. I had a guy weld my pan for a temp probe and I kept thinking it was the fitting leaking, nope it was the weld.

Leaks can happen with welds.

Looks like that's off a 1999+ Astro/Safari. Good looking repair. Should've tried a couple runs with Maxlife to see if it would fix the leak first...
lol.gif

Nice work.

Did you do anything special to prep that for welding? I've heard it can be difficult to get all the oil out of the pores in a casting like that and it tends to spoil the weld.

Originally Posted By: Odd_Ball
Nice work.

Did you do anything special to prep that for welding? I've heard it can be difficult to get all the oil out of the pores in a casting like that and it tends to spoil the weld.

True. Contamination of cast aluminum is always a problem when welding. Oil, dirt, minerals from water, or whatever came into contact with the part needs to be dealt with. With this pan I pre-heated the crack with the tungsten tip on the tig torch. I then cleaned the oil smoke and do that over until the area is clean to weld.

Fantastic work. I know about the weakness of those pans. Very easy to bust. I had skid plates fabricated for my Hyster lifts with the GM 4.3 "Industrial" engine just for this very reason.

Originally Posted By: tig1

These days we do live in a throw-a-way society. Over the years I have saved customers 10s of 1000s of dollars in welded repairs. Many repaired items simply can't be purchased.

in the Al, does the item having had oil in it in the past make it different to virgin metal ?

How do you deal with it ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tig1

in the Al, does the item having had oil in it in the past make it different to virgin metal ?

How do you deal with it ?

See my last post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back