02 Chevy Silverado won't run, Fuel Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado with 315k miles.

Truck started to act up after leaving a shopping center parking lot.
Drove approximately 2 blocks and the truck turned off. Was able to coast into a shopping center parking lotl.

Truck will turn on and immediately turn off.

Thought it might be the fuel pump (was replaced at 200k)but I thought it was strange that the truck turns on and then turns off.

The previous fuel pump died on me and the truck would only crank.

Hoping it would just be a simple fuel pressure regulator issue.

Your symptoms are very much like a van we had here. It would crank, fire for a second, and then shut off. After chasing gremlins we finally replaced the fuel pump and it solved the problem.

Good luck...

I had a 96' Silverado that did that, it was the fuel pump relay. You could wiggle it while running and hear the fuel pump whine differently, then it would randomly shut off.

I would start at the fuse and work toward the pump.Then the relay, pull it out and push it back in a few times to clean the contacts. There may even be a relay on the car you can swap Does the tank need to dropped to replace the pump?

Originally Posted By: andyd
I would start at the fuse and work toward the pump.Then the relay, pull it out and push it back in a few times to clean the contacts. There may even be a relay on the car you can swap Does the tank need to dropped to replace the pump?

Yup, tank needs to be dropped unless I remove the bed.

Originally Posted By: andyd

How about checking fuel pressure first?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

How about checking fuel pressure first?

What this guy said! You got to be methodical and work your way back to the problem. A lot of good guesses here in this thread already but are still stabbing in the dark guesses.

Check fuel pressure first and then work your way back to checking fuel pump power and actuation and then the fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back