Fumoto. Drain Valve-Any problems with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Fumoto drain valves worth the money?They do make changing the engine oil a little easier but I've seen and heard about valves that got past QC and leaked.Has anyone installed one then removed?I know for my application I would need the extension because of a recessed drain plug.Thanks Joe

They typically sell a couple of models per size. Regular, nipple and short nipple. Or something like that. I have them in both Subaru cars and in the Jeep GC I sold.

No leaks.

Does make it easy for the ex-wife that hates you to mess with your car. But who has one of those??

I have them on both of my vehicles.
I did pull one off of a minivan I had, mainly because it was lower than the drain pan and there was nothing protecting it from getting hit and damaged.
I have never had a leak.

Been using Fumoto's for 25+ years, 11 different vehicles, never a leak, even had a couple which hung lower than the pan but never suffered any damage or even worried about them. Some cars were driven daily over gravel roads for 6+ miles total, plowed through snow, these things are pretty tough. The newer "S" style valves drain a little quicker, but I'm not a quick-change business so I don't care if it takes a few minutes longer to drain. Cripe, I usually let it drain for half an hour just so the filter cools off enough.

No leaks in the three vehicles I've used it on; and that's utilizing only the supplied felt washer.

Ive got one on my Civic and Forester currently.

I was able to change the oil in the Foz without even having to jack it up this past oil change. A piece of cardboard is the only tool I needed for the job. I typically have access to a lift, but it's not always available when I am. Thanks to the Fumoto I was able to change the oil while we packed for a trip, with maybe 20 total minutes of my time used up, including setup and cleanup.

No problems here either. Just make sure and get the nipple model as it make it even easier and less messy.

Back in the '70's when my pal went to auto school they were to be avoided.
They were used (perhaps designed for?) to get samples from large oiling systems easily, I was told.

I couldn't tell you if they were made by today's Fumoto company. Plus everything has gotten lots better over the ensuing years.

For me, the vulnerability of a valve hanging down from a brittle, cast oil pan rules them out.

Originally Posted By: lyle
Been using Fumoto's for 25+ years, 11 different vehicles, never a leak, even had a couple which hung lower than the pan but never suffered any damage or even worried about them. Some cars were driven daily over gravel roads for 6+ miles total, plowed through snow, these things are pretty tough. The newer "S" style valves drain a little quicker, but I'm not a quick-change business so I don't care if it takes a few minutes longer to drain. Cripe, I usually let it drain for half an hour just so the filter cools off enough.

Also about 25 years on multiple cars. Even ran over a concrete median once and shaved part of the nipple off of one and it just kept going for years after that. Built solid, don't leak and if you are fearful that you can hit something and break it off, well, you will damage something else as well if that happens. These should be standard equip from the factory IMO.

I bought 2 of them and installed on both Civics. I used to be putting 10-15K a month on the '01 so I was changing oil quite often. No leaks, seem to be very high quality and I had no problems with them. I found for me personally that they were a solution looking for a problem. I thought they were a neat gadget and wanted to try them but changing the filter on these cars is a pain and an unavoidable mess so the valves really didn't save any "hassle". I went back to the good old drain bolt. And not that it's of any relevance, but when removing the valves after draining the oil, there was about a cup or so more oil came out that the valve was "holding".

They would be fantastic if you had an easily-accessed filter that didn't make a mess and you could drain the oil without getting your hands dirty. Also, if you wanted to perform UOA's mid-OCI then they would be very helpful. I'm sure there are other great applications but for me, they're just a novelty.

I currently have three of these on my vehicles today and have used them over the last several years, including have an adapter to correctly fit the Volvo's cast oil pan (they sold that too). Never leaked and all of mine are out of the way of any debris from hitting them. I have the "S" versions which allows you to attach a short vinyl hose. Great for UOA samples and no fuss or muss. They have a new "SX" type that looks really good as well. I would highly recommend them.

FWIW: Due to the way these have to be designed and depending on your oil pan/drain plug orientation, you might not get 100% of the old oil out but may leave a few ounces in the pan. I don't have that issue with any of my cars but some may. I wouldn't worry about it if it affected me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Would these valves present a challenge to the average quick lube place?

Depends on your particular quick lube place and even the tech on hand that day. In my experience, half the time they will just wrench it off because it drains just that much quicker and then wrench it back on. The only time I do quick lube is if I am traveling and unable to do it myself. Best practice if you can, is to tell them before hand and ask them to not wrench it off but they may still do it anyways.

Originally Posted By: Joeforester
Are Fumoto drain valves worth the money?They do make changing the engine oil a little easier but I've seen and heard about valves that got past QC and leaked.Has anyone installed one then removed?I know for my application I would need the extension because of a recessed drain plug.Thanks Joe

Never had issues with my old car, been on for over 200,000 miles without leaks.

Another fan of the Fumoto valves. They have been on all of our vehicles for the last fifteen years. No problems, other than slower drain times vs wrenching off the drain plug. No hurry, no problem.

Last edited:

Sometimes an ordinary oil change presents a challenge to the average quick lube place.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
No problems here either. Just make sure and get the nipple model as it make it even easier and less messy.

I didnt opt for the nipple and, using a lift for all but the last change, didn't think it was needed at all. Having just changed it without jacking or lifting it up, I've hanged my mind. With a bit of Tygon hose on the nipple I wouldn't have had to be so careful or finagle my way around the outlet to prevent getting oil on me. It was still pretty darned easy without a nipple, but the nipples and hose would have made it fool-proof!

Originally Posted By: Garak

Sometimes an ordinary oil change presents a challenge to the average quick lube place.
wink.gif

13.gif

I had a Fumoto on my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L and one on my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. They were awesome for these applications. I would only use a Fumoto if you do all your own oil changes. Like mentioned above, I could just see the look on certain "techs" faces when if/when they encountered one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back