2010 Caravan P1128

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother-in-law's van, a '10 Caravan 3.8L, now with 220K, has had an ongoing P0420 for some time now. Replaced the upstream O2 sensor with a Bosch piece last fall, probably 30,000 miles ago?, but it did nothing for the code. Gas mileage was respectable (as much as 22), performance wasn't bad, so we just left it alone. The van doesn't have the best maintenance history - I'm sure it's been run low on oil most changes, no trans. service, FIL couldn't recall having put plugs in it since they got it at 20K. Basically only what it needs, when it needs it. I've been maintaining it about the last 2 years, keeping the OCI's between 6 and 10K with Maxlife, rotating tires, etc., but not doing any other real preventative maintenance to the drivetrain.

The last few weeks she's noted what she calls a stumble, first with cruise control on but not set, then this week regardless of cruise status - only at highway speed, after coasting off a hill and stepping back into the gas. I never witnessed it but that description coupled with the tranny's lack of service could mean the coast/lockup in the converter getting funky. So I got ahold of it to do the OC and see what I could find. Codes present were the usual P0420 and a new one, P1128. They needed it back in short order so I also did plugs, air filter, PCV valve, and cleaned the throttle body in one fell swoop. On the drive back (20 miles) it behaved perfectly. Poking around the net I've found some mention of P1128 being related to a dirty throttle body and faulty TPS feedback that affects the transmission shift behavior, which could confirm why what I did yesterday fixed it. Any further knowledge out there on the validity of this theory?

The Mass Air Flow Sensor can set codes too because it's dirty and may stumble being too lean or too rich. At 220K even with good air filters it can happen.

Typically you need to take the MAF assy out and use a MAF cleaner spray on the sensor element often a "hot wire" design, never touch it.

Let the cleaner drain straight out. MUST be completely dry, or the MAF will blow when power is applied. Some MAFs can't be cleaned at all. Look up MAF service info for your caravan. When installing be careful not to create a vacuum leak that'll make things worse. So take care handling hoses and housing and seating all parts and clamps correctly, don't rush it, etc.

I considered cleaning the MAF (I have the spray cleaner) but didn't want to take the time, at the time, to look up if it was cleanable or not. It'll be back in no more than a few months for its next oil change so I can do it then.

The PCV valve was pretty stiff coming out but all the other hoses and such are still pliable so it was no trouble. I hope the full syn Maxlife 10w30 I put in it slows down the oil consumption some from the 3-4 qts. it had been losing between changes with standard Maxlife 5/20 or 5/30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back