Acura Oil Burner - Need New Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Measurable oil consumption is a problem.

If Maxlife won't fix it, stem seal/rings/modified PCV will fix it.

OP said he does not want to spend any $$ fixing it, just get by with cheapest regime.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That's not an oil burner.

Just top it up every 4,000 miles and stop worrying.

Yep.

lol this website kills me

If Maxlife won't fix it, stem seal/rings/modified PCV will fix it.

OK, yeah, sure - spends thousand on mechanical repairs that may not make a difference...Versus a "new approach" of just topping off that costs nearly nothing?

Let's look at this carefully: you have a 2010 Acura with 56,000 miles on it. So, you drive 8,000 miles a year. If you change the oil annually, your OCI is 8,000 miles.

So, your "oil burning" of one quart per 4,000 miles requires you to add ONE QUART between annual oil changes.

One quart a YEAR. What's that? $6?

In all seriousness; that's what your "problem" is costing.

Good Lord, man. Find something else to worry about. This just isn't an issue. You're choosing to make it one.

Last edited:
That's not an oil burner.

Just top it up every 4,000 miles and stop worrying.
at least the oil pac would keep it fresh

Last edited:
It's not just about a few dollars to top off the oil. How does oil burning affect the the engine and catalytic converter?
Oil burning will give you carbon buildup in the combustion chamber which can lead to a host of other issues including predetination, misfire, and burnt valves. Also, the catalytic converter will die soon and possibly clog up causing exhaust back pressure.
All lead to more engine damage.

To the OP, when does it "start" to burn oil? Usually the oil will have so many miles on it before the oil consumption begins.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
... Oil burning will give you carbon buildup in the combustion chamber which can lead to a host of other issues including predetination, misfire, and burnt valves. Also, the catalytic converter will die soon and possibly clog up causing exhaust back pressure.
All lead to more engine damage. ...
All engines burn oil, to one degree or another. What's your evidence that that series of disasters will result from such moderate consumption?

It's not just about a few dollars to top off the oil. How does oil burning affect the the engine and catalytic converter?
Oil burning will give you carbon buildup in the combustion chamber which can lead to a host of other issues including predetination, misfire, and burnt valves. Also, the catalytic converter will die soon and possibly clog up causing exhaust back pressure.

To the OP, when does it "start" to burn oil? Usually the oil will have so many miles on it before the oil consumption begins.

Yeah - if he was burning more than a quart every 500 miles, those problems might, emphasize might, be an issue. Go back and read the OP post. He's got no running issues. He burns a quart every 4,000 miles...so...

None of your OCD doomsday scenario applies. That's why manufacturers won't fix the problem until you get to 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

Look, I had a truck that burned a quart every 1,500.

No carbon build up. No fouled plugs. No cat poisoning. No running issues. At 278,000 miles, it still had the original cat. And it's still on the road.

Here's a thought. If this poor Acura really is the oil-burning nightmare with a catastrophic end awaiting it that you claim, then the OP should get rid of it, right now, and avoid the inevitable demise due to the described oil poisoning.

Because such an unreliable time-bomb isn't worth much, I'm willing to help him out, just out of the goodness of my heart, and end his suffering and risk. It's clearly "rough condition" with these major mechanical flaws, so, I'll be kind and offer $8,000.

Cash.

Solely to help him out and allow him a new approach....

I don't consider that extreme/excessive but it certainly isn't good either.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_consumption.htm

I agree that his level of consumption is unusual.

I just don't think it's high enough to worry about.

If you decide to try those oil control ring potions, nothing beats BG 109 EPR in my experience: 2 cans into 4.6 modular, 45 min of idle time before an oil change.

Here is the product. And this is coming from someone, who never was into snake oil treatments.
This is something I used on an oil consuming motor: a quart of oil every 600 miles. Yours is not even close. I am with Mr Astro14: just add some oil at 4k and forget about it.

I agree that his level of consumption is unusual.

I just don't think it's high enough to worry about.

Unfortunately not unusual for the Honda J engines with aluminum cylinder liners. To their credit, Honda dropped the liners in a couple years but made an even bigger mistake with VCM. I agree the best approach is to simply top off as required. I also believe it would be ridiculous to do a major engine tear down at 1 qt per 4K. Who would do this work, how much would it cost and what are the chances of ending up with a better performing engine?

Thanks to all for your responses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back