Napa visit advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at Napa I bought a Napa Gold oil filter for my 13 Mustang GT 5.0 V8. The guy at the counter had some stern advice for me. Do you run synthetic oil in that car? Why yes I said .. Then you should only be running the Napa Platinum filter! It is designed for synthetic oil so that's what you should use! .. Thank you but I will stick with the Napa Gold!

If I am not mistaken the Napa Gold filter filters better first pass then the Platinum correct?

Yes. I would have asked him what the efficiency rating of his wonderful Platinum filter was-that would have shut him up REAL QUICK (it's only 50% at 20 microns, the Gold is higher, 95% @ 19 microns)!

Last edited:
He was being a salesman! Counter people have to market the upsell you know!

IMO, all the NAPA'S around here the counter guy either owns a classic car, a tractor, or has a clue about the parts they sell!

It's GREAT.

Also I thought I would mention this is the second Napa Gold (Wix) I have bought and I really like the construction the first one I cut open and they really are a well built and heavy filter. I don't know where most of you rank them but I think they are one of the best.

You'll be fine. You can run a ProSelect if you wanted as long as it wasn't an excessive interval. And can anyone explain what the difference would be between a filter made for synthetics compared to a regular? Better media for the longer interval that not everyone uses?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
He was being a salesman! Counter people have to market the upsell you know!

IMO, all the NAPA'S around here the counter guy either owns a classic car, a tractor, or has a clue about the parts they sell!

It's GREAT.

Used to be that way out here but not any more. I attempted to pick up a tie rod end for a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. The guy kept arguing with me that a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't use a tie rod to steer so it wouldn't have an end ...

I'd have had to call him out on it! I had a similar experience at Bennett here in town. He firmly suggested that if I loved my car, I'd avoid fram filters.

I suggested he spend some time on this forum

How long is your intended OCI?
smile.gif

Thanks to auto parts store up-selling, I own 500 rolls of shop towels, 300 gallons of Fast Orange and 200 oil pans.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Also I thought I would mention this is the second Napa Gold (Wix) I have bought and I really like the construction the first one I cut open and they really are a well built and heavy filter. I don't know where most of you rank them but I think they are one of the best.

You are correct Sir. Wix makes Napa filters and they are one of the best (if not THE Best) available. And I've run them for years with synthetic oil. For the price, I don't think it is possible to beat Napa Gold filters. $10 bucks says that guy has no idea what an efficiency rating is.

What did NAPA do when the Platinum filters weren't available? Did they discourage people from buying synthetic oil?
wink.gif
Last time I checked NAPA Synthetic came out before the NAPA Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back