How to judge canned fish (salmon, etc.) quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't laugh, I've been given specific recipes from my veterinarian that include (on a rotating basis): canned sardines, tuna and salmon.

Is there any way to judge the quality of these canned products? I'm sure some are better than others, but how do I know the good from the bad? I won't feed my dog a questionable product(s).

Suggestions? Advice?

Thank you!

Ed

All the ones at Aldi seem pretty decent. You can buy the salmon in a 15 ounce can for a few bucks. The stuff at Save-a-lot didn't seem as good. I've tried all three fish that you mention at Aldi and all are fine for a decent price.

Just don't buy any of their dog food there. Had a bad experience with their cat food so I bet the dog food isn't much better.

Last edited:
We typically buy Bumble bee tuna and chicken breast for our consumption; I think they make Salmon as well. We usually buy Cento or Season for Anchovies and they have been good so maybe them for sardines.

Chicken of the Sea makes a good tuna and may make other things you are looking for. I would imagine people buy store brands all the time and are OK.

Just get the ones packed in water. My dogs gets sardines once a month. Usually I get the canned mackerel from Dollar Tree. It's a 15 oz can packed in brine. They are sardines so low in mercury. I just give them some on top of the kibble so they both get it for almost a week. My Blue Healer mix is 17 years old and has been on this routine.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Don't laugh, I've been given specific recipes from my veterinarian that include (on a rotating basis): canned sardines, tuna and salmon.

Is there any way to judge the quality of these canned products? I'm sure some are better than others, but how do I know the good from the bad? I won't feed my dog a questionable product(s).

Canned Salmon- Wild Caught Alaska Salmon. Icy Point brand is one that I've used.

Sardines- Look for one of the better brands, (not Bumble Bee etc) packed in water, not a low grade oil). Season is good.

Tuna- Solid White Tuna, also packed in water with no soy added. Note; tune is a large fish and high in mercury so i would limit it.

Seasons sardines are sold at Costco 6-3 ounce cans for $10. Once or twice a year they are 6 cans for $7.
I don't have any experience with their canned salmon but they do sell it.

My experience with salmon is, wild salmon is a far superior product as compared to farm raised salmon.

I have to say that I can't eat Bumblebee or Star of the Sea tuna anymore. The stuff is mush. I buy all my canned tuna from Merino's Seafood in Westport, WA. http://www.merinoseafoods.com/

Merino's buys young tuna caught off of the Washington coast and cans it. There is an Oregon State University report floating around that says the tuna caught off our coast is too young to accumulate mercury or radiation. Solid chunks in a can. After you eat this stuff, I don't think you could go back to the cheaper canned stuff. I know I couldn't. So caught and canned in Washington State. But you are looking at about $5/can.

I'm leery of heavy elements and mercury in all fish now. I've seen a documentary that scared me. Apparently things were fine until recently. Now what is coming out of factory farms in the North Atlantic and in the South Pacific is highly poisonous.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I steer clear of any canned fish caught, canned or whatever in CHINA.

Now that's certainly smart advice, but I wonder how you'd know if it's caught, canned or whatever in CHINA?

Ed

Now that's certainly smart advice, but I wonder how you'd know if it's caught, canned or whatever in CHINA?

Ed

Local river here holds (or held) national records for heavy metal pollution due to the circuit-board reclamation operations (that used to be?) in its catchment area.

Holding such records IN TAIWAN is pretty impressive, and I don't mean in a good way.

Last few years I've seen people fishing off bridges, and from boats in the estuary, which I never saw before.

I mentioned this to a prof who's done some work on sediment and fish tissue analysis and he said that when warned, people said it was OK, because they don't eat them.

They sell them.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I'm leery of heavy elements and mercury in all fish now. I've seen a documentary that scared me. Apparently things were fine until recently. Now what is coming out of factory farms in the North Atlantic and in the South Pacific is highly poisonous.

What factory farms are in the North Atlantic?

Ed

I can only believe the 'Country of Origin' on the can.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

What factory farms are in the North Atlantic?

Shoulda said Baltic Sea. The Norwegian farmed salmon is what I referred to. https://mauihawaiitheworld.wordpress.com...ost-toxic-food/

The problem with the sardines I have seen on the shelf at Costco is they are boneless and skinless.
I like to eat sardines with their skin and bones. It seems pointless to eat little fish otherwise.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back