Buying a 2000 Subaru Outback parts car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying this for $350 tomorrow. I have a wrecked 2000 with a good 2.5L in it, supposedly 90K on the engine.

Any thoughts? I will get it if it does not have rust or dents, which it appears not to have. I haven't driven a stick-shift in years so it will be an interesting experience. The owner says the clutch needs replacement so maybe a point to negotiate down to 300.

Quote:

My beloved 2000 Subaru Outback managed to snap her timing belt and ruin her engine (damaged a valve). Rather than spend $3k on an engine replacement I'm going to get a different car, but most of the car is still in great shape. The body has no damage beyond a couple scratches, the Goodyear tires have only about 20k miles on them, I literally replaced the windshield last week.

I'm just trying to recoup some of my costs before the car goes to the scrap yard, so make me an offer

Q7Z95yC.jpg

uszvAzl.jpg

YQBKxYl.jpg

Y1FflEo.jpg

check for rot on the bottom. Suspension and subframe esp..but everywhere really.

I'm surprised hes even selling it on craigslist.. they will give you $300 or so at the scrapyard here...

Understood.

This is the engine donor car. Same 2000 but automatic. I think I will have to cut the engine out with Sawsall since removing the radiator, etc, is an impossibility.

YMtIMJs.jpg

9CwrTkF.jpg

Well for $350 why not. Move the front clip from the $350 car to the parts car! Joke - the rails are bent on the wrecked car.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Looks like a fun project. How many dollars do you think you'll have into it by the time it's on the road?

My estimate + 40% )

I don't have the skills or the time to do the swap - but I have a shady tree mechanic who is pretty slow but gets it done cheap. I want to do the head gaskets, water pump, belts, etc. The donor engine is supposedly low mileage like 90K.

The shady tree mechanic said that just the engine swap is 300 in labor and that doesn't count any parts like water pump or belts.

I am guessing when all said and done between 1000-1500. I am kind of surprised what these old Subarus go for on both CL and Ebay. Around 2000. And you don't know the condition of the HG nor the timing belts nor anything else. If all works out well, I will have new parts in it.

I just hope it doesn't have some interesting oddball problem like the entire suspension needs to be replaced. It kind of looks like the owner maintained it.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Understood.

This is the engine donor car. Same 2000 but automatic. I think I will have to cut the engine out with Sawsall since removing the radiator, etc, is an impossibility.

YMtIMJs.jpg

9CwrTkF.jpg

yYuWPq1.jpg

RiLDsaK.jpg

TfEsiV7.jpg

qHmVX49.jpg

tm20ZKY.jpg

6Ta3Akk.jpg

fVpAXmR.jpg

Considering what a salvage yard would give you, $350 is fair. I know someone that sold a non running Ford Windstar to a salvage yard and got $475 and they towed it away.

Don't ruin a deal over $50.

Pry back some of those plastic rocker panel covers and look for rust before committing.

I am surprised you're paying for this project; usually 2-into-1 jobs are only feasible if you're donating the work.

Well, between the wrecked car and the blown engine car, you should have all the parts you'll need to make the swap work.
Replacing timing belts, tensioners and WP while the engine is out will be easy and therefore a wise move.
The HGs are another matter since you may find that you'll need to have some machine work done to restore everything to flatness upon disassembly. OTOH, if the HGs ever need attention, the time to do it would be with the engine already out of the car. The 2.2 was a much better engine IMHO.
Check Rock for parts since they have a variety of closeout pieces currently available for these cars.

Wow that brown car is really wrecked. Are you sure that the engine was not damaged? It looks like the timing belt could have been smashed in, that could cause the valves to crash.

$350 for the green car with bad engine is still a good deal anyway.

Last edited:
The green outback looks exceptionally clean. Around the rear wheel wells, the rear hatch etc, are where you typically see rust on this vintage. You could sell those aluminum wheels alone for $200. It's not going to be cheap doing what you want to do given you have to pay someone, but the "parts car" looks great based on the used Soobs I'm used to seeing.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Wow that brown car is really wrecked. Are you sure that the engine was not damaged? It looks like the timing belt could have been smashed in, that could cause the valves to crash.

$350 for the green car with bad engine is still a good deal anyway.

this is the engine in the wrecked car. The timing belt cover is messed up, but appears to be mostly cosmetic.

OuF3y2l.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't ruin a deal over $50.

Pry back some of those plastic rocker panel covers and look for rust before committing.

I am surprised you're paying for this project; usually 2-into-1 jobs are only feasible if you're donating the work.

I have a shady tree mechanic that can do it inexpensively, a subaru guy. I have time so that's not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back