Need a Good Chainsaw <$400

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a ton of trees blew out at the farm..
need something better than the current stable of value and old worn out chainsaws.

Some hardwood such as oak and black locust.

I'd like to keep it around $300-$350 scabbard would be nice, hard case a plus.

husqvarna 450 seems about right.. any suggestions?

18" bar would cover 90%+ of the logs.
Weight is definitely a factor lighter is better.

Also considering other saws such as the Jonsered CS2255

Depends on the size of the trees/logs you need to cut. I have a echo cs-450 that cuts well, but i don't use low profile anti kick chains, they just cut too slow. Husky makes great saws. I think some times a slightly heavier saw with more power saves time ( and your back) vs grinding away longer with a smaller saw.

I limb up with the lighter saw and hit the trunk with the bigger saw.

Here is a pic of my echo next to the husky 390 i just bought.

Last edited:
If they've improved the bar oiling system on husky chainsaws I would definitely say go for it.

We had one for the longest time, only issue is you'd have to remove the bar and clean the bar oiler every other tree because it would clog up.

Check with your local Stihl Dealer and see if you can get a MS-271 or MS-311 in your budget.

I also had issues with Husqvarna's oiling system. I had a 350 that I never could get to oil well. Turned the adjustable oiler all the way up. Cleaned out bar grooves, replaced the bar. Finally fixed it by getting a Stihl 029 Super and selling the Husqvarna.

I would highly recommend the MS291 farm boss. The farm boss series(029 029 Super MS290 MS291) have been great sellers for a reason.

Dolmar saws seem to get great reviews but dealers are few and far between.

Last edited:
Some good feedback in here guys, appreciate it, and keep it coming.
$400 budget is stretching it. so $600 models unlikely to be purchased, unfortunately.
Buying an amish yard shed in a couple weeks, so the budget just isnt there.($2000-$3000)
I'd like to drop 500-700 and get a lightweight beast of a chainsaw.. but
considering what I normally use any of these would be a MASSIVE upgrade.

By all means recommend expensive models but unless I get a windfall.. not very likely.

Good tools/OPE do make the job nicer/easier.. and I'm all for that.

Current chainsaws
Ryobi 46cc--> finicky but cuts the best.. poor idle/stalls when fully warmed up.
(paid $60)
old homelite chainsaw 16" bar... 25+ years old.. actually not garbage like new ones.. but well used and tired.. randomly has fueling/other issues

Even older Stihl.(35+ years) unknown model 14" and 16" bars low on power.. probably needs major work.. retired for now.

So you can see how much an upgrade this would be.

I did cut a few trees with the ryobi its not half bad with decent aftermarket chain. Its ok for that one tree down... esp. softer woods.

I've been using my old Husq 246 for years now. Granted it doesn't see frequent use but when it gets used it gets USED. I wouldn't hesitate to fix up an older saw...

I just got an Echo CS-400 last year. It's just the right size. I've cut everything from small bushes to huge oaks with it. I keep it sharp and oiled up, and it doesn't give me any problems.

Last edited:
My 290 Stihl has cut dozens of cords without any issues, any Stihl or Husky saw would be a good buy. The line " no such thing as a good used chainsaw" comes to mind. $400 should buy a decent saw, only paid that for my 290 with a wood pro kit included a few years ago.

Makita, which is rebranded Dolmar chainsaw, is great.
I have the dcs6401, and it gets great reviews by all.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-in-50cc-Gas-Farm-Ranch-Chainsaw-DCS5121/205564477?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-PortableOutdoorPower%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwlpbIBRCx4eT8l9W26igSJAAuQ_HGM5XIj0AjHVQwV5bejzazbcEtj8JO4GrfN3M92o2wdxoCyzHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a Poulan pro and it has been a great saw for the last 4 years. But is a bit underpowered (40cc) if cutting logs bigger than 10" dia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back