What Solvent to Remove High Temp RTV (Red)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a good solvent I can use to remove cured High Temp RTV (Red)?

I used some of that stuff as an impromptu epoxy to mount an IAT sensor in an aftermarket CAI that didn't come with an IAT rubber grommet. Unfortunately, I now see that I oriented the sensor incorrectly and would like a Mulligan on my little jerry-rig. Successful removal of the sensor without effecting its operation (through incorrect solvent usage) is obviously going to be required before I can try it again, but I am not sure what I can use that isn't caustic or otherwise harmful to electronics and/or me.

RTV, unless specified for electronics, isn't ideal at the best of times. The acetic acid curing type is corrosive to current carrying metals. But with some parts it's OK because the electronic components are potted (embedded in an electronics-safe compound).

elbow grease is the safest method. Cut as much off as you can and them peel and scrape the rest off. Red is pretty resistant to most solvents and anything that will dissolve it is going to damage the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back