Ram 6.4L Hemi - T6 5w40 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware of the recommended 0w40 for this truck and am not worried about warranty issues. Having said that, early testing on this engine is believed to be 5w20 or 30, I cant remember all the details. After reading a ton of oil threads (on other forums) on the topic, most folks dont even come close to sounding like they actually know anything about oil. Has anyone actually used Rotella T6 5w40 in these. I dont see the 5w40 setting off MDS codes since they are pretty close in physical properties.

Yea, I read that and it sounds like the add pack could possibly harm the catalytic converter. I'm not positive I believe this yet but would still like more info on it. I suppose it's best to still with the PUP Ow40.

I am thinking 10w30 if 0w40 does not make itself more available in 2 years in my 6.4 SRT Hemi. I am hoping some oil makers start picking up the slack. $6.50 a qt for Pennzoil Ultra doesn't turn me on.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
If you want hdeo and are concerned with phos, new delo fits the bill.

The Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40? I could only find info on the CJ-4. I wonder if the CK-4 with still be ok to use in the gas engines. It sure does look good though.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am thinking 10w30 if 0w40 does not make itself more available in 2 years in my 6.4 SRT Hemi. I am hoping some oil makers start picking up the slack. $6.50 a qt for Pennzoil Ultra doesn't turn me on.

I imagine that you would be fine there in FL with the 10w30. Here in CO, I think I would need to stick with the 5w for the cold temps.

An interesting thing about the new CK oils that aren't API rated; The detergent packs are looking more and more like gas engine oils. More calcium, less magnesium for instance. I could be wrong. I am just one amateur observing.

Yep.
WTH happened to Chevron? Havoline was the goto oil a ways back with a lot of Moly, Delo has always been a leader in HDEO, with both Delo LE and SD versions having a really good dose of Boron and Moly. SD is just darn near perfect for the 6.0 PSD: narrow viscosity spread, Boron and Moly (no need for any of the popular stiction adds ie Rev-X, Hot-Shots), and maintains it's viscosity over an OCI. The new Delo looks like a really dumbed down version of a gas oil. Shoot, even their Borate formula in gear lubes seems to have disappeared. It just seems to me that Chevron is taking a completely different route in lubrication, and a big difference from their past successes. Or at least what a bunch of us here thought were successes...
I just wonder if it isn't this change in management that started the ball rolling in a different direction...
https://www.chevron.com/stories/chevron-announces-senior-management-changes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sw99
Yea, I read that and it sounds like the add pack could possibly harm the catalytic converter. I'm not positive I believe this yet but would still like more info on it. I suppose it's best to still with the PUP Ow40.
I don't understand this whole thing about HDEO oils not using gas certification, because of ZDDP levels. I always understood that the 40 and above weights were exempted from the limits.

The Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40? I could only find info on the CJ-4. I wonder if the CK-4 with still be ok to use in the gas engines. It sure does look good though.

15w, leave the 5w for Canadians.
Originally Posted By: NH73
I don't understand this whole thing about HDEO oils not using gas certification, because of ZDDP levels. I always understood that the 40 and above weights were exempted from the limits.

My only guess is to discourage good decisions among auto and moto owners. Maybe API put a certification road block to high P level I'm the higher weight, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: NH73

They are, but the issue is quite likely ease of formulation. If your 10w-30 is CK-4/SN and therefore low phosphorus, and still meets all required HDEO standards, why bump up the phosphorus and have a different additive formulation for the 15w-40?

That's why I've said for years that if someone isn't happy with the ZDDP content of an ILSAC 5w-30, an SN 10w-40 or 20w-50 from the same product line is no guarantee of more ZDDP. Maybe the HDEO manufacturers could go the European way with us, and toss an SJ or SL on there instead, like they do with GC 0w-30 and the like.
wink.gif

That's considered cheap for that stuff! Never understood why people spend all the money on a new car and cheap out on oil changes. To each his own I guess!

Where are you getting it that cheap is what I'd like to know?

With SN they limited Zinc/Phos, only reason why the API S label is missing. It was done as an effort to close a loophole.

If you see an oil with CK-4/SN that means it has less than 1000ppm phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

That's considered cheap for that stuff! Never understood why people spend all the money on a new car and cheap out on oil changes. To each his own I guess!

Where are you getting it that cheap is what I'd like to know?

X2 That is cheap !! I normally see it for like 9-10 dollars for a quart.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back