Companies known for two different things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Hitachi; who would know they make hard drives, excavators and have a barbeque named after them.

I know a little something about the hard drive industry. Hitachi actually bought out IBM's hard drive division and most of their products used the old IBM DeskStar and TravelStar names. And now it's not even owned by Hitachi.

Many things have "Bosch" logo's on them.

Not exactly sure what Bosch really makes, they sell their name to the highest bidder.

-------------------

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Mitsubishi- cars, heavy duty trucks, construction equipment, televisions, air conditioning units, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

A major shipbuilder, aircraft, and let's not forget the Bank of Mitsubishi

Similar to Fuji, consumer goods and shipbuilding, heavy equipment, and Hyundai, who make ... well ... everything.

Bombardier, aircraft, passenger rail cars for LRTs, own Rotax, which is the largest, by volume, manufacturer of aircraft engines worldwide. Sold off their consumer products groups to the descendants of Bombardier himself (snow machines, motorcycles, personal watercraft, etc), company is called Bombardier Recreational Products or BRP.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Hitachi; who would know they make hard drives, excavators and have a barbecue named after them.

I know a little something about the hard drive industry. Hitachi actually bought out IBM's hard drive division and most of their products used the old IBM DeskStar and TravelStar names. And now it's not even owned by Hitachi.

Huge manufacturer of utility Power Generators. Plus, they build a custom rail car to carry each one to it's destination.

This one is old school, but Chrysler built NASA's rockets, including the Saturn V's that took America to the moon..

Michelin: Tires and Restaurant/Chef rankings.

Bosch: Automotive parts and accesories, appliances, power tools, security, biotech, batteries and software.

Virgin: Airlines, records, telecom, space travel.

For Kawasaki and Hitachi I'll add power tools to those already listed.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Mitsubishi. Builds cars and ships. Used to build TVs. Do they still? IDK.

Hyundai. Here in the US, we know Hyundai as an automotive company. But when I was in South Korea on business a few years ago, you see the Hyundai name on everything from skyscraper construction companies to kitchen appliances. I think they are also a ship builder.

I think Mitsubishi Electric is still around, but out of the consumer electronics business.

And Hyundai is a name now and not just one company after they got broken up like Standard Oil or the Bell System.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Stay away from GE products, they are very terrible.

I thought you worked for GE?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Daewoo. They made cars, vcrs and guns!

General Electric did a lot of that. Maybe not cars, but definitely engines. And they did in fact make guns like the Minigun and the M61 Vulcan.

If Pratt were really happy with the military side of things, they wouldn't have bothered to risk the investment in their new GTF commercial program.
Rolls has built some really good commercial engines that even some American carriers, including one of that very name, bought as a matter of preference, no patronage involved.
IIRC, the highest time on wing ever achieved with any turbine was with a Roller on a 757.

Hitachi; who would know they make hard drives, excavators and have a barbeque named after them.

Umm, I think the Japanese grill is actually called a hibachi

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If Pratt were really happy with the military side of things, they wouldn't have bothered to risk the investment in their new GTF commercial program.
Rolls has built some really good commercial engines that even some American carriers, including one of that very name, bought as a matter of preference, no patronage involved.
IIRC, the highest time on wing ever achieved with any turbine was with a Roller on a 757.

I thought that a few years back there was talk that Pratt might even exit the civilian aircraft engine business, but maybe not the commercial maintenance business. Pratt certainly is making enough off of military sales that they could survive slower commercial sales and work on the GTF project.

Still - I suppose relating to the original topic, the choice of a name (or maintaining an old name) might change how related people think of products from the same company. If they had renamed it "United Technologies Aircraft Engines" there might be a better correlation between different parts of the same company. GE mostly sells things in almost all divisions carrying the main corporate name.

Mitsubishi- cars, heavy duty trucks, construction equipment, televisions, air conditioning units, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

and Three Diamonds canned tuna fish

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Umm, I think the Japanese grill is actually called a hibachi

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I never quite got why Shimano was a big name in bicycle parts and fishing equipment.

If you really think about it, you'd realize that it's not much of a leap from bike parts to fishing equipment. While they are different industries, many of the materials used in both are very similar. Shimano had a goal of promoting public health, and both bicycling and fishing fall within that goal. Shimano also owns a performance fabrics company, sports apparel company and makes rowing shoes.

It makes good business sense to diversify a company-in some cases it's in areas that also revolve around core competencies, in other cases it's completely different (but often complimentary) business units.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Stay away from GE products, they are very terrible.

Interesting. I have a few GE products, and I've not had any issues with any of them.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Yamaha pianos and motorcycles

My yamaha bike had hitachi carburetors. Keiretsu is the philosophy, a vertical integration strategy.

Chaparrall makes satellite dishes and accessories, and boats. However, both are made from fiberglass.

And steam and Gas turbines...
https://www.mhps.com/en/catalogue/index.html

I was working with Hitachi 10 or so years ago on a possible turbine upgrade...

https://www.iaea.org/NuclearPower/Downlo...14.yamamoto.pdf

husqvarna
currently making all sorts of lawn equipment...tractors, mowers, line trimmers, edgers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc etc..
also make a line of concrete grinding and polishing equipment.

husqvarna has the viking line of sewing machines.

husqvarnas name is still licensed for motorcycle production, but it has nothing to do with the original swedish built units, which ended production in 1988. the husqvarna brand motorcycles have been produced continuously since 1903 however..
in the past husqvarna had made firearms from the 1600s up until the 1970s..
husqvarna had also made many household items..wood stoves, meat grinders, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back