Swapping summer wheels w/TPMS to winter wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Not being in an area where it snows, i'm pretty ignorant to some of the added duties winter entails.

Out of curiosity, for those with cars that use TPMS, that switch from summer to winter wheels (where the entire wheel/tire assembly is swapped), does the TPMS have to be reset at the dealer every Spring when switching back?

It's Mfg dependent.
With my buddy's Chevy, Yes! He has to reset the TPMS with every tire rotation, tire &/or wheel swap.

With my Nissan No! Not with a tire rotation. If a second set of e.g., winter wheels have Nissan TPMS, then the system picks up the location of each wheel/ sensor and makes the correction.

Typically - no.

You might get an initial warning light, but that should go away after driving a few miles.

Never had a problem with Audi, VW, Hyundai or Kia.

I have to get a reset every time I switch from summer to winter wheels on my Subaru.

My idiot light has been on for several weeks, will get it reset when I have an alignment done after my work situation calms down.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Never had a problem with Audi, VW, Hyundai or Kia.

In case of Audi specifically, there is no physical TPMS hardware in the wheels. Normally, there is nothing to reset unless the diameter of your summer tires is notably different from your winter ones, in which case you may need to reset it by going into the car settings.

On my Cruze I have a re-set tool to trigger each sensor after a tire rotation or swapping wheels. You start the process with the driver info. center in the gauges. Fairly easy.

Someone on here (Arco?) had a Honda that, if TPMS was not operational, then traction control could not be turned off. Thus it was a big issue.

Me, all my Toyota's do is flip on a light. After owning a VW I'm good at ignoring warning lights.
smile.gif
I don't use sensors in my winter wheels. If I could find some cheapo ones I might; I have a knockoff copy of Techstream so I could update the ECU with the sensors, easily enough. But it's easier to ignore. I rarely have tire problems; I suppose if I did have tire issues I'd be more apt to run sensors.

Answer is that it is car specific. Even cars form the same brand may vary.

My '07 Explorer requires resetting with a tool that is readily available, and entering the training mode via a series of car key turns and brake touches.

Believe my new truck requires nothing.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Answer is that it is car specific. Even cars form the same brand may vary.

This. Every car is different, and can even vary between years. I work on only Acuras, and even within our own brand there are three different methods. Some don't require programming, some require programming only once (computer has memory for two different sets), and some require programming every time.

My Canadian BMW does not use sensors, just interprets tire pressure changes from the change in wheel speeds using the wheel speed sensors. With that system, it has to be reset every time the wheels are changed or tire pressure is changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

My Canadian BMW does not use sensors, just interprets tire pressure changes from the change in wheel speeds using the wheel speed sensors. With that system, it has to be reset every time the wheels are changed or tire pressure is changed.

Maybe the Audi version is less sensitive, but I never have to reset it when switching between summer and winter wheels. Wife's q5 has 235/55/19 for summer and 235/60/18 tires for winter.

I asked the closest Subie dealer if they could reset the light at a regular service and they told me it would be $50 extra.
My favorite indy tire shop will do it for free even if I'm not buying tires or having a service done...this is an example of why I love the place.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Maybe the Audi version is less sensitive, but I never have to reset it when switching between summer and winter wheels. Wife's q5 has 235/55/19 for summer and 235/60/18 tires for winter.

The owners manual and a sticker in the door jamb both show to reset any change is made, including a tire pressure change. Should be done to make the system as accurate as possible. I once adjusted the pressures and forgot to reset, and got a warning within minutes for all four tires.

The reset only takes about 10s through the iDrive menu.

Last edited:
supton;

That was me. My fit wouldn't allow TC off. In fact it was in limp mode, engine responsiveness and max power was dulled. This didn't help me get up my hilly drive way ( known as the Kingston bunny slope).

I still have (2) steelies mounted with winterforce that'll fit a smaller Honda. They were minus 2 sized with 14" rims replacing 16" aluminum. IIRC they were either 70 or 65 series.

This setup made my Toyota Yaris 3 door into a snowshoe rabbit in the winter!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
supton;

That was me. My fit wouldn't allow TC off.

That is programmed into all Honda/Acura. Run without the TPMS sensors, can not turn off stability control.

my old 08 Passat, which had TPMS sensors.... as long as they were functioning, just swap wheels and nothing has to be done, from 235/40r18 to 235/45r17 and vice versa

my current 16 Tiguan, which no sensors, have to reset the tire pressure in the instrument cluster when I swap from 235/50r18 to 215/65r16 and vice versa.

My 14 honda and 16 Golf both do not feature in wheel sensors at all. They calculate tire pressure based on each individual wheel speed. So the winter wheel changeover is as easy as it gets. Not a lot of cars are like this but it seems to be a growing trend.

With the 2017 jeep cherokee it will automatically work with the new sensors after they are detected.

with subaru's at least prior to 2017(and I dont think they changed)

The car will only hold 4 sensors so the best thing to do is not get winter wheel tpms sensors.. and live with the light for 4 months out of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back