150k mile toyota 5sfe under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
These pics are from my 1993 Toyota MR2 2.2l 5sfe. Engine has 150k miles on it as of now. Needed to change the valve cover gasket so I figured it would be a good time to take some pics. I actually picked up an identical valve cover from the junkyard off a Camry which I cleaned and painted and replaced mine with.

Looks like it's getting some varnish. I'd up the oil quality (unless if it's new to you).

My 5SFE is a bit newer but it decided to lose the o-ring on the oil pump at the same time as the pressure switch (both leaked, and badly). The pressure switch is dirt simple to replace, the o-ring a bit harder. I did the valve cover gasket as I thought it might be that, and it may well have been leaking as the gasket was rock hard.

Originally Posted By: supton
Looks like it's getting some varnish. I'd up the oil quality (unless if it's new to you).

My 5SFE is a bit newer but it decided to lose the o-ring on the oil pump at the same time as the pressure switch (both leaked, and badly). The pressure switch is dirt simple to replace, the o-ring a bit harder. I did the valve cover gasket as I thought it might be that, and it may well have been leaking as the gasket was rock hard.

I have only had the car for the last 10k miles. No idea what it was getting before but now it gets Maxlife 5w30 at 5k intervals or slightly less.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: supton

I have only had the car for the last 10k miles. No idea what it was getting before but now it gets Maxlife 5w30 at 5k intervals or slightly less.

Call me nuts or crazy I don't know which; but in first and second pic I see the opposite or some varnish or whatever you call it being removed some. That's what I note
wink.gif

Doesn't look too bad, all considered. Considering the age and mileage, and the unknown oil change history. Keep using the Maxlife and see how much it cleans the engine!

If you don't mind me asking, are those NGK spark plug wires in the third picture? NGK have that distinct blue color. If so, how do you like them? Was thinking about trying NGK wires on our 1997 Civic if and when the current wires give out.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: car51
The area above or behind top cam****

I noticed that as well. Maxlife doing its job?

I would say so yes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Doesn't look too bad, all considered. Considering the age and mileage, and the unknown oil change history. Keep using the Maxlife and see how much it cleans the engine!

If you don't mind me asking, are those NGK spark plug wires in the third picture? NGK have that distinct blue color. If so, how do you like them? Was thinking about trying NGK wires on our 1997 Civic if and when the current wires give out.

They are NGK, yes. I quite like them and haven't had any issues with them. I replaced them about a year ago when I bought the car.

That engine looks like a perfect candidate for an Auto-Rx treatment, but I don't want to open a can of worms.
So I'll just say that "if it were mine", I would do that.
Those four banger Toyotas can log a ton of miles, I hope yours does as well.
Other than the varnish and the need for a new valve cover gasket, how else does it run/look/stop/feel?

I love getting older cars and replacing a few items to get another decade and 100k more miles.
Great fun.

It isn't terrible. I'd give Rislone a shot, I've read some positive comments here about it. That engine looks like the perfect test mule for it.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
That engine looks like a perfect candidate for an Auto-Rx treatment, but I don't want to open a can of worms.
So I'll just say that "if it were mine", I would do that.
Those four banger Toyotas can log a ton of miles, I hope yours does as well.
Other than the varnish and the need for a new valve cover gasket, how else does it run/look/stop/feel?

I love getting older cars and replacing a few items to get another decade and 100k more miles.
Great fun.

It's a creampuff in most ways. Garaged it's whole life so paint is perfect. It has 93 turbo brakes on it and being only 2600lbs it's stops like crazy. I've done all the suspension and steering components so it basically feels new. To be fair it has no ABS or power steering, but it needs neither. This is my daily driver.

I too put ngk wires on our Camry two years ago.i like them alot.i do need to replace the valve cover o rings... Leaking oil into the plug holes

not to go off topic, but how do you like the Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh impact sockets? They just opened a Harbor Freight near me and I'm looking forward to going.

Not bad at all. I would run a 10w30 or 15w40 HDEO that is gas rated for the summer. That may help gently clean it up a bit.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
not to go off topic, but how do you like the Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh impact sockets? They just opened a Harbor Freight near me and I'm looking forward to going.

I like them just fine. No complaints and they haven't worn at all since I have used them.

Some varnish but nothing worth clogging an oil filter for, if you know what I mean. Just enjoy the car and don't bother with any harsh chemicals. Cheers

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Some varnish but nothing worth clogging an oil filter for, if you know what I mean. Just enjoy the car and don't bother with any harsh chemicals. Cheers

+1
I can't see anything wrong in your pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back