Lithium battery jump starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of getting one after my 11 year old Schumacher Mighty-Mite wouldn't start a car when I offered it to someone with a dead battery. I'd even made sure it was charged, although it won't light up past the partially discharged LED and doesn't always light up the charging light (never see charged LED light up either). It's been good to me over the years, but I guess it's time for a new one.

Anyone try one of the new compact ones. I'm thinking if maybe one that charges with a USB power supply and can also be used for USB power. They claim they can jump a battery. A lithium battery also shouldn't have issues with sulfation. I might have forgotten to recharge my jump starter a few times. I'm sure that the same type I gave to my folks was almost never recharged except for the few times I did it for them. That thing simply won't work any more, while mine is somewhat marginal after 11 years of use as a power supply and for at least a dozen jumps.

I bought one from Costco for $60. It has a flashlight, 2-USB ports and a jump start cable. I tested it on my dead motorcycle and it worked. They claim longer storage time.

Time will tell. It hasn't blown up when charging either!

Buying from Costco means I can return it at any time if not satisfied.

Costco jumper

I bought one cheap china made one. Jumpstarted manu cars and bikes in one year. Small and light. Not as powerful as needed to start some cara seamlessly but worked anyway.

You can re-power your old one with a new lead-acid battery. Lithium batteries won't last 10 years either, but those starters are nice.

I have one in my trunk. Never used it. I have a calendar reminder to recharge it every 3 months.

Originally Posted By: mk378
You can re-power your old one with a new lead-acid battery. Lithium batteries won't last 10 years either, but those starters are nice.

Saw one listing on Amazon, but the reviews say that the terminals don't fit. I'm also kind of wary about opening it up. I think the issues may be more than just the battery but that the charging circuitry may be fried.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I have one in my trunk. Never used it. I have a calendar reminder to recharge it every 3 months.

Forgetting about it for a half year might have done mine in. I'd occasionally used it on my car since my wife likes to turn on the map lights and forgets about it. Once I left the radio on for an hour and couldn't start. I basically needed a new battery but the jump starter got me started at least. My parents (who supposedly had the one I bought them) often asked me for a jump after coming back from vacation. My wife also has a tendency to leave the map lights on although it's not as bad after I installed LEDs. I've forgotten a few times when the door chime wasn't working on my wife's car (the door sensor caves in and doesn't make a connection to ground) or when I just parked somewhere and waited, but forgot that the lights were on since I didn't open the door.

I can recall maybe a half dozen times when I offered a jump sort of randomly. The last time was the first time it didn't work. It could be a coworker with a weak or dead battery or maybe someone in a parking lot. It's a lot easier, especially if it's a crowded lot and getting in position for jumper cables is tough. At least the last time they had cables, but I was hoping this would save them the time to get another car in position.

The plain ones these days have a SLA battery. It does not last forever. But often a new battery is more than the cost of the jump-pack, especially if shipping is involved.

The jump-packs need to be fully charged and warm. Leave it in your trunk when it's 10F out and it will not help anyone.

Also the jump-pack needs to be heavy, as if it's not you have a low capacity battery.

The LiIon ones seem to be small in capacity. But then again many vehicles are 4 cyl like my Subaru and don't need a huge jump-pack.

I carry heavy gauge jumper cables in my F250.

I bought one on clearance @ radio shack. It worked a few times. Then I tried to start a jeep and it exploded!

Sent it in in a special package they sent me and they sent me another one free....its already bulged.

Last edited:
The cheap ones aren't up to the task, if it's under $100 it's probably going to swell the battery at some point.

I have the first generation noco genius boost and it still works, I'd really like to get one of the newer second generation noco genius boost which are more powerful and offered in different strengths but they're pricey.

I had a few, including a Noco GB40
I've jump started countless cars.
The best buy I have is my latest Schumacher SL1.
I think it's best to choose one with LiFePo4 cells.
They are safest chemistry and is unlikely to explode, unlike the regular LiCo.

Last edited:
AAA membership is more reliable, and your charger won't tow your vehicle.

Hmmmm ... I just on a whim checked the AAA site. Way more expensive than CAA (about $C85 or $US 64) and fewer features and benefits. Maybe not such a good deal after all. Actually, since CAA works everywhere in North America, maybe US residents should choose that instead.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Hmmmm ... I just on a whim checked the AAA site. Way more expensive than CAA (about $C85 or $US 64) and fewer features and benefits. Maybe not such a good deal after all. Actually, since CAA works everywhere in North America, maybe US residents should choose that instead.

I am a AAA member. Still need to wait for a service call, and I've waited almost an hour at times. It's also a mark every time against a lifetime record. Not sure I'd be allowed to be a CAA member.

I've been out of cell phone range in a remote area where I left the lights on. That was with my wife's car before I understood why the door chime didn't work. I was also back when my now iffy jump starter was a year old and reliable. I had the hood open and everything set up when a park ranger asked if I needed help. Besides, playing Good Samaritan can feel pretty good sometimes. I'll whip out a jump starter for a stranger, but not my AAA card.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I am a AAA member. Still need to wait for a service call, and I've waited almost an hour at times. It's also a mark every time against a lifetime record. Not sure I'd be allowed to be a CAA member.

I've been out of cell phone range in a remote area where I left the lights on. That was with my wife's car before I understood why the door chime didn't work. I was also back when my now iffy jump starter was a year old and reliable. I had the hood open and everything set up when a park ranger asked if I needed help. Besides, playing Good Samaritan can feel pretty good sometimes. I'll whip out a jump starter for a stranger, but not my AAA card.

Yea, my experience with CAA is vastly different. Free tow of 250 km (150 mi) one time, for example, in the middle of nowhere (tow was to the nearest town).

Looks like you have to have some kind of premium membership with AAA for long tows. Plus CAA is members-based, not vehicle based, so you can use them with a car you don't own or are a passenger in. Discounts on travel insurance, full service Travel Agency with discounts, group life insurance, all kinds of other benefits. Tell them you are going somewhere and they hand you 20 pounds of maps, travel brochures, hotel information, etc. Plus they have bricks-and-mortar locations everywhere ... you can renew your plates or drivers' license there, two minutes, done.

I think the most I ever waited was about 25 minutes. I am not sure it would matter in any case, as they just call the nearest tow company, which is the same thing anyone else would have to do.

I've never had to call for a tow in the US, but I have a friend who had to on the way somewhere near the Hoover Dam, and it was a hassle and expensive (like $200) and not very far distance either. On my 150mi tow they billed CAA less than that, although not much less. He wasn't a CAA/AAA member though, so no idea how that would change it down there.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Yea, my experience with CAA is vastly different. Free tow of 250 km (150 mi) one time, for example, in the middle of nowhere (tow was to the nearest town).

Looks like you have to have some kind of premium membership with AAA for long tows. Plus CAA is members-based, not vehicle based, so you can use them with a car you don't own or are a passenger in. Discounts on travel insurance, full service Travel Agency with discounts, group life insurance, all kinds of other benefits. Tell them you are going somewhere and they hand you 20 pounds of maps, travel brochures, hotel information, etc. Plus they have bricks-and-mortar locations everywhere ... you can renew your plates or drivers' license there, two minutes, done.

I think the most I ever waited was about 25 minutes. I am not sure it would matter in any case, as they just call the nearest tow company, which is the same thing anyone else would have to do.

I've never had to call for a tow in the US, but I have a friend who had to on the way somewhere near the Hoover Dam, and it was a hassle and expensive (like $200) and not very far distance either. On my 150mi tow they billed CAA less than that, although not much less. He wasn't a CAA/AAA member though, so no idea how that would change it down there.

I used to be a AAA Plus member, which is supposed to provide up to a 100 mile tow. Now my parents added me to their membership, but it's the standard one with a 5 mile tow included. That was adequate the last time I needed a tow, but I was stuck in San Francisco and just needed a tow to a nearby shop less than 2 miles away. Even if it was more than that I don't think the driver would have worried about it. And yes one can get a tow on any vehicle - even as a passenger. However, I wouldn't randomly let a stranger use my AAA membership and account for one tow on my record. There have been people who have been cut off from the towing services after using the service too often.

I really don't want to call in for roadside assistance for something I can do myself. Using a jump starter is actually pretty easy as long as the equipment is working. My issue last weekend was that my equipment was old and marginal, even though it had been charged as well as I could get it a couple of days earlier.

I have one of those Costco Li-ion ones. Love it. Would never go back to a lead-acid gel-cell type again. The Li-ion ones are small and light and hold a charge for a long time (months).

I've only jumped 2 cars with it. A stranger's Toyota truck's V6. And my father's 3.0L Toyota V6 with a very dead battery. But it worked each time.

The only worry is whether it could explode or not. I've heard too many cell phone and laptop Li-ion battery explosion stories.

Also, the ones currently for sale at Costco are a lower capacity than mine. I think the current ones are 400 CCA and mine is 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back