why no extra efficient air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is here no market for extra efficient (better) air filters? seems thats where the dirts gets into your engine.
do people who do oil analysis ever get told you have a bad air filter?
seems there would be a market , but then toyotas go 200 k + on factory stock air filters

Stock treated paper air filters do a good job right now. To make them better would cost more. If you're going to make a few hundred thousand vehicles that could be a problem.

I change my filters frequently. I've used a pressure differential gauge in the past and when the element starts to get discolored to the same degree as tested in the past, I change it.

My older Honda goes a longer way but my V8 4Runner sees a lot of dirt roads and desert driving and the air filter sometimes get changed in less than 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
why is here no market for extra efficient (better) air filters? seems thats where the dirts gets into your engine.
do people who do oil analysis ever get told you have a bad air filter?
seems there would be a market , but then toyotas go 200 k + on factory stock air filters

There is, for the commercial sector, but not for your typical passenger car.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
...but then toyotas go 200 k + on factory stock air filters

You solved your own question.. When you don't change it, the filtering efficiency goes up.

Air filters are efficient enough now. Holding capacity isn't an issue either. Better longer lasting filtration takes up space which is at a premium in most engine compartments nowadays.

I am not aware of any OEM filter that is not able to flow more than the engine intake requires ... most have a healthy safe extra capacity.

Dirt on the outside of an air filter has the effect of reducing the size of particles that can pass through the filter, in essence the sediment acts as a filter media, so it's a mistake to seek out a super clean one, or to replace it too soon. As long as it's flowing enough air, leave it alone.

Even if there is a restriction beyond what is required to run the motor, the ECM will compensate with fuel delivery to maintain the correct air:fuel ratio. So you can err on the side of caution and still not experience a huge performance penalty.

I know that goes against the typical BITOG forum reader's fastidious instincts but that's the way it goes. Read the manual, do what it says, and avoid jumping the gun.

Aftermarket filters work well but are typically unnecessary. Buy one because you want to, but it isn't going to offer any performance improvement, unless you've significantly increased the air pump capacity of the motor, where a higher flowing model might not be available from the OEM catalog. Even then, other work on the intake will be required, and you may be defeating some torque improvement the OEM has built in via Helmholtz Resonance optimization.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mann air filters are quoted at 99.8% efficiency at 2 micron particle size.

What do you define as 'extra efficient'?

is this better than toyota OEM?

Air filter efficacy is a balance between efficiency and flow. You can have one or the other, but not both.

People often replace air filters too early. Unless you drive in dusty conditions, they can last longer than the maintenance interval.

My record with an air filter is 106K before it set a check engine light. It wasn't "leaves and bugs" dirty, just a lot of fines you couldn't knock loose. And sure enough, you had a hard time seeing light through it.

Fram extra guard every 10K - you can buy them for dirt cheap at rockauto.com. I just bought 2 on a wholesaler close out sale for $2.93 a piece.

Last edited:
You can create your own "extra efficient" air filter simply by putting a few miles on any decent quality ordinary filter.

Last edited:
High efficiency filters can be found in any Jiffy Lube dumpster as they replace them too early all the time when upselling the those ignorant enough to buy in.

Originally Posted By: Boston
Really? The older the better?
Up to a point, yes, if efficiency is your primary goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back