How does rim width affect tire height?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get larger rims for my Saab 9-3. I now have 15" rims with 195/60/15. I have calculations for both 16" and 17" wheels and have found good matches for the original circumference. I'm a little confused by rim width as I look at options in the larger wheels. There is a range from 6.5 to 7.5" Does rim width affect tire height at all?

The rim width will give you a window(nothing hard and fast) of tire widths that can be safely installed. You can probably imagine that too narrow of a tire will be stressed to expand so that it properly seals to the rim, while too wide of a tire will be crammed onto the rim(I've seen grossly oversized tires "roll" off the rim when they hit a curb).

If you dig through the spec sheets, most tires will state a recommended rim width or range of rim widths for mounting the tires. Just from my experiences(for what little that's worth) I'd be more comfortable with a 195 on a 5" or 5.5" rim-6.5" seems way too wide for me.

And, to answer your question in a roundabout way-you may or may not know that the sidewall height is specified indirectly in terms of the tread width(the first number given is the tread width in mm) and the aspect ratio(the center number, which specifies the sidewall height as a percentage of the tread width). Thus, if you DO install tires with wider tread, you will need to reduce the aspect ratio to keep the absolute diameter the same.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
The rim width will give you a window(nothing hard and fast) of tire widths that can be safely installed. You can probably imagine that too narrow of a tire will be stressed to expand so that it properly seals to the rim, while too wide of a tire will be crammed onto the rim(I've seen grossly oversized tires "roll" off the rim when they hit a curb).

If you dig through the spec sheets, most tires will state a recommended rim width or range of rim widths for mounting the tires. Just from my experiences(for what little that's worth) I'd be more comfortable with a 195 on a 5" or 5.5" rim-6.5" seems way too wide for me.

And, to answer your question in a roundabout way-you may or may not know that the sidewall height is specified indirectly in terms of the tread width(the first number given is the tread width in mm) and the aspect ratio(the center number, which specifies the sidewall height as a percentage of the tread width). Thus, if you DO install tires with wider tread, you will need to reduce the aspect ratio to keep the absolute diameter the same.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back