testing ATF fluids in car for comparison? Amsvsred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I am thinking of trying to compare these two ATF's for fun in two different high mileage toyota vehicles.
I have a 97 Toyota T100 truck and a 04 Toyota Sienna

I have a case (12 quarts) of Toyota T-IV (+2 spare q.s), 12 Amsoil sig. ATF, and 12 Redline D4 I also have 4 quarts of RoyPurp ATF.

Was thinking of dropping pan and filter on both due to a lack of maintenance history on each trans (ive done a few drains and refills on each so far since owning) and filling with T-IV then running for a few hundred miles - 1k miles and dropping pan/filter again and doing a flush via the cooler lines to attempt to get 100% as best as I can.

Since I would like to somewhat accurately compare the fluids how can I go about tracking the different fluids? This would be for personal knowledge and I can post results for anyone who cares.

If anyone has any advice on how to best do this experiment that would be good too. Thanks everyone!

You must have a lot of time on your hands. I can't imagine what you expect to learn after a few hundred miles.

give him a break, we all have done stuff like this on different situations,,,,makes us feel good, imho.

My latest , well going on 6 months now was the Lucas transmission fix( yes I know , tune up in a plastic bottle,,lol), but this time it worked and it shifts great on my 2005 LaSabre,,,no more hard shifts. My old tried and true Lubegard did not fix it, but Lucas did,,,go figure. Many folks make fun of Lucas, and I never was a fan, but hey, its still working...

Thank you for offering to do this and sharing it with us. I don't know what you'll discover but I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Alright so I am thinking of trying to compare these two ATF's for fun in two different high mileage toyota vehicles.
I have a 97 Toyota T100 truck and a 04 Toyota Sienna

I have a case (12 quarts) of Toyota T-IV (+2 spare q.s), 12 Amsoil sig. ATF, and 12 Redline D4 I also have 4 quarts of RoyPurp ATF.

Was thinking of dropping pan and filter on both due to a lack of maintenance history on each trans (ive done a few drains and refills on each so far since owning) and filling with T-IV then running for a few hundred miles - 1k miles and dropping pan/filter again and doing a flush via the cooler lines to attempt to get 100% as best as I can.

Since I would like to somewhat accurately compare the fluids how can I go about tracking the different fluids? This would be for personal knowledge and I can post results for anyone who cares.

If anyone has any advice on how to best do this experiment that would be good too. Thanks everyone!

A UOA is the only way to compare. But you need to go for several thousand miles before a UOA.

Last edited:
One needs to do a complete fluid exchange with each type or brand of ATF.

A pan drain and refill will tell you nothing since 2/3 of the old fluid will mix with the new.

You'll need to put at least 3,000 miles on any one fluid in order for the clutch plates to be thoroughly saturated with the friction modifier.

Last edited:
Hi, I am sorry.

What I meant was that for the few hundred miles I will be dropping the pan and adding OEM fluid with a new filter to clean out the transmission as best as I can.

Then I will do a filter change again and a transmission flush with the Amsoil in one vehicle and redline in another via the cooler lines to get nearly 100%.

Then run for 10-30k miles or something like that. This is the part where I want to keep track of changes in transmission feel and the life of the transmission via UOA's from blackstone maybe.

So based off that, I would like suggestions on how to properly do this experiment.

Either way I plan to run these ATF's in my vehicles and hope the transmission life is extended significantly. Truck (240k) and
sienna (275k)

Last edited:
At those miles any failure might be blamed on the current fluid you're running.

Too many miles for any valid test.

Simple UOA's may not give an indication of an impending failure or worn parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back