Best sounding engine that is NOT A V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exhaust note has a lot to do with this.
Any flat six, whether Subaru, Porsche or Corvair sounds good.
A proper inline six, not those used in American grocery getters up through the seventies but an old Jag, Z-car, Aston or Maserati sounds good. So do inline six BMWs.
A four with a carefully developed exhaust note sounds good. The early Miatas did as does my old BMW. Smaller displacement fours often have a nice mechanical note as you rev them out as well.
Now, some engines just sound mechanically unhappy.
The Vega was a prime example of this as was the Ford Vulcan (we had one) along with most V-6s of any included angle.
A V-8 on full chat has a deep baso profundo note that will even send vibrations through you at trackside while a V-12 has that wonderful ripping canvas shriek that says take me seriously.
Sorry, but that's just how they sound to me.
Lots of good sounding engines along with lots of rough runners that sound like they'll come apart in normal operation even if they don't and won't.

An XJ6 twin cam , My 528e with a 535i or M5 cat back. I-4s that crack when you decelerate. A multi radial engine war bird. A P 51 in a dive. The the purpose built Cologne 4.0 in the Rat is a 60' Vee. Supposedly the same as an I 6. Most Ranger heads are V8 wannabes.

Nope, that's an engine built by an Aussie "John Bennett", who I was corresponding with a lot in the '90s regarding cooling systems and performance engines...he's an incredible engineer, and was instrumental in the Ford GTHO falcons down here.

That engine is a 144 c.i. Ford 6, that was reputed to run to 10,000RPM.

Closest I ever made was Holden 186c.i. that would run 6,500 to 7,000...and a mistaken 8 one day on the bush...sold that car to my brother, and he broke it's back playing Dukes of Hazard in a multi level car park.

Originally Posted By: Powerglide
Datsun L24-L28 straight six with headers and only the resonator in place. No muffler. At 5000rpm.

The L24 in general sounds pretty good at 5k+.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Powerglide
Datsun L24-L28 straight six with headers and only the resonator in place. No muffler. At 5000rpm.

The L24 in general sounds pretty good at 5k+.
laugh.gif

Throw in some turbo noise to round it out, and we're all set!

Oh, I just remembered the BMW M5 with the V10 is ultimate "Lambo" sound and great power for 30K used. There was a used one near me with the 6M stick I was "thinking" about
smile.gif

My 1988 M6 had the catalyst replaced by an H-pipe; It sounded wonderful, whether at idle or at 6,500 rpm.

Originally Posted By: BobandWeave
Muffler design seems to be the key. I heard the original Miata engineers went through many designs before they felt they had it sounding right.

Personally, I recall being impressed by a little 4-cyl in an old Fiat 124 Spyder.
And I like the burbling in a stock Triumph Tr-6.

Reportedly, the Mazda engineers spent a lot of time listening to and trying to replicate the sound of MGB exhausts and some of the other similar 4-cylinder British cars.

I have to say I like the sound of the NA Miata, but I miss the "burble" that seems to be there on my MG and most other British cars of the era.

Also worth mentioning in the carbureted era is that the type of carburetor would make a big difference in the sound of the car. Weber DCOEs in particular have an unparalleled sound(at least on a stock MGBs, though, good luck getting the car to run as good as it sounds on a DCOE).

Open throttle always make nice noises, but ultimately a straight piped V12 and a heavily boosted I5 make the best noises I the automotive world.

I appreciate the sound of any engine that is tuned properly, and running well. But I do have favorites.

Even though the 4-wide deal here at Zmax Dragway still strikes me as kind of hokey, standing on the line when 4 blown-fuel V8's all making well in excess of 10,000 HP leave is something special. You hear and feel the power.

My own personal vehicles I also have my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back