bought studded tires for the fatties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the title says it all. At the tail-end of a crazy winter a few weeks ago, and with the Polar Bear Crossing (a fat bike ride across Lake Winnipeg) coming up, I bought North 45 Dillinger studded tires for both my & my wife's bike. The studs are aluminum w/ carbide tips.

A good fellow at one of our best bike shops pointed out that my Surly Pugsley could accommodate a 5" tire up front (even though it came equipped with a 3.8-incher), so I went with a Dillinger 5 (4.98") there.

Anyway, I survived the ride, about 2/3 of which was across glare ice with a strong front quartering wind. It would have been impossible for me without studs.

When the streets were dry I switched back to summer tires, but now sold on the 5-incher up front, upgraded to a 5-inch knobby unstudded tire. The 3.8-incher can be used on the back when I need another tire, or on my wife's bike (which is limited to 4" width).

Who else has gone with studded bike tires for the winter?

Not yet. Don't have a fatbike yet, either. But very tempting, as I could use a new mountain bike, and a fatbike might let me bike more into winter.

I bought the Pugs with trepidation a couple of years ago, but absolutely love it. If I could only keep one bike, I think it would be the fatty! I will not ride in the winter except on a fatty.

I keep making it through winter after winter on Bud and Lou, Surly's monster snow tires.
Once the snow melts, I swap Lou for a 4.8 Knard. Best fat combo ever. For fast, flowy trails that I know aren't going to be sandy, I swap on my 29+ wheels which consist of 45mm Velocity Blunts and Bontrager Chupacabras.
And finally, for beach sand, I swap on my Clownshoes shod with 4.7" Big Fat Larrys.
Fatbikes are the swiss army knife of bikes. We have four in my house currently and my dad and my brother had me build them each one.
Love em.

I have tried studded tires on ice back when I was the wheelbuilder at a dedicated fat bike shop but have yet to need my own pair.

I've done a lot of winter riding both on and off road... though granted not all that much in the past couple years. A lot of it was done on 26" mtb tires... a lot of 29er studs and a lot on 700c studs.

I've rode through ice storms to heavy midwest snow falls on 700x35 studs with great results. This is my GO TO option for on road winter use.
29er studs are great for ice conditions, especially rutted roads. Can work on MTB trails, especially aired down, in some snowy conditions.
I have never run a fatbike and feel no need to on paved surfaces... but I would LOVE to build one for trail use in the winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back