Garage Damaged my Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to repaint my scratched/clearcoat peeling rear bumper. I've owned the Camry for 4.5 years and every-other year went and repainted the roof and hood to protect the metal (that's my budget/plan...fix what's urgent, wait on what's aesthetic).

The bumper being plastic can wait another year as I want to run the Camry for another 4-5 years and want the bumper to look good at the time of sale. By the time I do the bumper, the trunk lid will likely need new clear coat (where there's hints of fading), and I'll likely touch up other areas where there's similar fading to "freshen" the car and keep it looking sweet for another few years. I was actually pleased with the results done at MAACO (prepping the hood and blending the paint into the fenders) and will consider that shop again. It's in an upscale neighborhood where the shop has to satisfy owners of high end cars....

Last edited:
Bumper covers can be repaired fairly easily. This one was done a couple of years ago and it has held up perfectly, I see the car often. No peeling, cracking, etc.
Heat the area to be repaired, roll the damage out, plastic weld and fill with special plastic filler, prime with special plastic bumper primer and paint.
Actual working time including R&R not including drying about 3.5 hrs.

IMO the state should have nothing to do with it. They admitted it to you, they should either self insure (pay out of pocket), or else file a claim with their insurance to pay for the work. If it gets to you needing to make a claim with your insurance, its a bit far down the path...

Before I made a claim with my insurance, Id be tempted to sue them myself in small claims for the value of a repair at a shop of my choosing. But, that said, I highly doubt you would need to do so, since they are being honest.

But if they try to push MAACO or something, then you might need to consider other routes.

Thanks, I like to repair things like this outside if I can, less dust and much better light. It gets painted inside a booth but with the new base/clears you could even do it outside on a nice day, it dries tack free in a few min so its really a totally doable DIY Saturday job.

If they can get a same cover from a junkyard it will have been in the same sun as your car and faded like your old bumper cover. (Being plastic vs metal it might look a little different.)

When someone damages your property, they are morally and legally obligated to make you whole (not new). If you have an 8 year old car, they can put an 8 year old part on it.

These guys really sound like they're trying to do you right.

I had the bumper cover off my HHR to replace the bumper support. It was just snap pins and a couple fasteners. Mechanical work, not body work, IMO. It went back on like it came off.

DSC_0107_zpsum80uaci.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back