Angle Die Grinder Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get one for cleaning up the gasket surfaces when I do my lower intake manifold gaskets.

Electric or pneumatic.. doesn't matter as long as it's a good tool. Looking to spend ~$50-$100.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those and a roloc disc are a bad idea. Use a scraper and rasor blades.

So easy to get in the habit of doing it the quick way though. To be fair we always covered the valley and stuffed the intake ports to keep the dusty crud out.

No problem with going cheap. I have two HF angle die grinders, another Blue Point, and a Snap-on. I grab whichever has the right attachment on it.

Last edited:
Never use a Roloc disc or ceramic bristle disc to clean gaskets inside an engine or on any parts where the dust from the disc could enter the engine it can destroy the bearings and wear cylinder walls, the oil filter isn't very effective at removing these particles. Use a good gasket scraper carefully (wood or plastic for aluminum) and a little elbow grease.

Gasket Cleaning

I have 3 GM 3800 vehicles; the lower intake gaskets are notorious for failure, but the motors are otherwise bulletproof. Since my LIM is aluminum, I use plastic razor blades on them. I wouldn't dream of using an air or electric power tool...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PC-PLASTIC-RAZOR-BLADES-Tint-Pinstripe-Decals-Stickers-No-Scratch-/231670018757?hash=item35f09bf2c5:g:J-IAAOSwKtVWwLr7

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My main concern is pitting.. how would I clean up pitted areas?

Dunno. Why would you want to?

If the pitting is bad enough to affect sealing, you are likely to affect it a whole lot worse by trying to grind it out with a disk.

I'd think you could probably fill pits with one of the gasket sealants from, say, Permatex, though I can't remember having that problem so I don't think I've ever tried it.

Being me, and being here, I'd probably try brake fluid to help clean it, and if I couldn't get sealant I might try aluminium foil and sunflower oil to help seal it. The foil would act as an abrasive and the pits might fill up with oil-bound aluminium slurry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Pitting on the intake?

Lower intake manifold gaskets on a chevy 4.3?

I doubt you will have any pitting on the sealing surfaces but if you do post a picture. Its hard to say which is the best way to fix it or even if it is repairable unless we know how bad it is.

I just saw a how to thread where a guy had some pitting. Mine has been neglected I'm sure so I'm just preparing for the worst.

If its only minor (a little pit mark here and there) I wouldn't worry about it but if its more of them close together or a larger area ideally you would want to change the manifold, if that's not in the budget then clean those areas with a Dremel and a wire wheel on slow just enough to get the garbage away then a skim of JB weld.
Just skim over the affected area(s) with a small plastic spreader and remove all the excess. when cured wet sand it lightly with 400 wet and dry only to remove any haze of JB from the surface, try not to remove any of the base metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back