Hiding Employers Cell Phone from Employer

Status
Not open for further replies.
An unfortunate "perk" of being salary, which it sounds like you are, is 24/7 availability. Sounds to me like you're in IT for an operation that runs around the clock.

Would they frown upon a longer lunch break if you make up the time? It sounds to me like they NEED you at work. I personally wouldn't do this all the time, but a few Fridays a summer shouldn't hurt. It would be no different than a half day.. you're just returning to work. I do find it odd they don't want you at home. How many hours do they expect from you?

As far as them tracking you, turning the location service off should do the trick unless they installed something else. I've never heard of employers tracking their phones, but what do I know. Who's the cell provider?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Seems to me one's paranoia defensiveness is only as high as one 'sets it' via their actions.

If you have nothing to hide, then IMHO, you should have no reason to be defensive about the companies ability to monitor THEIR property (the phone)

The fact that you're that defensive about your employer's interest in providing you a useful tool tells me that perhaps you have something to hide.

They gave you the phone to do your job. If you're doing your job, then stop overthinking things. If you're NOT doing your job, then maybe you should start.

^^^ This!

I have a company car and phone and we all believe we can be tracked any time they want to. I don't goof off so I have nothing to fear or hide; IMO people who do goof off do worry about such things. Due to my work ethic, which is a very high ethic, they can turn on all the stuff they want to, track whatever and I'm OK with that. Kind of like the NSA listening in on our phone conversations ... if it takes them listening to catch "bad people" go ahead, I ain't plotting to take over anything and my conversations are pretty boring ... they want to hear what my wife and I are going to eat any given night - go find the terrorists!

Don't worry unless you need to worry. If you need to worry then maybe rethink what your doing at work ... if you're a goof off then work so the people like me don't have to take the brunt of what is NOT getting done.

Just my $0.02

How about just leaving your phone at work, on the charger when you go to lunch or home at the end of the day?

Did you take this job? Yes, correct

Smart thing to do = keep quiet about it, keep phone in tin pouch, cover camera so CIA can't see you working hard.

Point I am making is corps/bosses don't like trouble makers, especially bosses, since their [censored] is on the line too as they are supposed to keep you in line.

Smile give them the illusion that you are super compliant.

Perception is 100%.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
An unfortunate "perk" of being salary, which it sounds like you are, is 24/7 availability. Sounds to me like you're in IT for an operation that runs around the clock.

[off-topic]
With all due respect,

24/7 availability/on call in my head means if they are /having problems outside of normal hours.

usually that salary is still calculated 40 hour/week

if not, your actual hourly salary just got cut 1/2 or 1/3 (without overtime)
[/off-topic]

OP, if possible, maybe you can change jobs.

Trav had the best suggestion with the lead film pouch!

I have been there in a couple places where going above and beyond was rewarded with more for less. Funny how after i left without a raise, they had the money to pay multiple people or an entire firm of consultants.....

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
Seems to me one's paranoia defensiveness is only as high as one 'sets it' via their actions.

If you have nothing to hide, then IMHO, you should have no reason to be defensive about the companies ability to monitor THEIR property (the phone)

The fact that you're that defensive about your employer's interest in providing you a useful tool tells me that perhaps you have something to hide.

They gave you the phone to do your job. If you're doing your job, then stop overthinking things. If you're NOT doing your job, then maybe you should start.

^^^ This!

I have a company car and phone and we all believe we can be tracked any time they want to. I don't goof off so I have nothing to fear or hide; IMO people who do goof off do worry about such things. Due to my work ethic, which is a very high ethic, they can turn on all the stuff they want to, track whatever and I'm OK with that. Kind of like the NSA listening in on our phone conversations ... if it takes them listening to catch "bad people" go ahead, I ain't plotting to take over anything and my conversations are pretty boring ... they want to hear what my wife and I are going to eat any given night - go find the terrorists!

Don't worry unless you need to worry. If you need to worry then maybe rethink what your doing at work ... if you're a goof off then work so the people like me don't have to take the brunt of what is NOT getting done.

Just my $0.02

Thos who would sacrifice freedom for a little temporary safety deserve neither! That's all I have to say about that. You post was alarming to me

My employer gave us all iPads. They're controlled with MDM software.

I can turn off location services, but the device, and what I do with it (surf the web, post on BITOG) are able to be monitored by the company. Even without location services enabled, the device can be tracked if it's connected to the web, either via cell or wifi.

I use it all the time at work.. I have to.

But when not at work, I leave it in my flight bag, or on the bed stand. All the company can tell is that the device is at my house. Not where I'm going when I'm out of town, not what I'm doing. My privacy remains intact.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner

^^^ This!

Just my $0.02

Thos who would sacrifice freedom for a little temporary safety deserve neither! That's all I have to say about that. You post was alarming to me

The price of freedom isn't free. I never served the USA in the military but respect those who did and do. I don't know but neither do you how many problems have been avoided by listening... not going political.

A company has a right to expect that an employee is doing the right thing. As more and more employees don't they have to make sure they are.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
yep, a turned off phone can still be located very easily.

I'm not very tech savvy! Can someone please explain how this actually works??

When a cell phone is turned off, it's still active -- you may note that the on/off button is not a mechanical device but a software enabled button. The main functions are disabled but it is possible to override it so that when you turn it off, it still retains the OS and different functions.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
A dead microwave oven might be a good storage locker. It won't let radio waves in or out.

Not sure that's true.

Just put my iPhone 7 in my microwave and tried to call it from my land line. It rang without drama.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
When a cell phone is turned off, it's still active -- you may note that the on/off button is not a mechanical device but a software enabled button. The main functions are disabled but it is possible to override it so that when you turn it off, it still retains the OS and different functions.

So if I decide to be a law breaker and go on a crime wave and drive five states away, they can still track me with my phone off????

Originally Posted By: daddi

So if I decide to be a law breaker and go on a crime wave and drive five states away, they can still track me with my phone off????

They would probably have you on surveillance cameras (from public/private cameras) every step of the way and wouldn't even need to use your phone.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: daddi

They would probably have you on surveillance cameras (from public/private cameras) every step of the way and wouldn't even need to use your phone.

Yep. I've watched every episode of Forensic Files and they catch the guy with or without cell phone on/off.

I don't see how a stock phone can track when powered off. Unless there is software mimicking a shutdown, the phone has to at minimum have a connection to a data network to know where it is at and report back. If I turn my phone off for 2 weeks and put it in a drawer, the battery level is exactly where I left it when I pull it out. There's no way it can be reporting it's location.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: pcoxe
A dead microwave oven might be a good storage locker. It won't let radio waves in or out.

Not sure that's true.

Just put my iPhone 7 in my microwave and tried to call it from my land line. It rang without drama.

same here for their I-Phone...my android phone did too.

Ajax, this was exactly what I was thinking when I read your opening post.
Years ago, an employer issued Blackberry was considered a status symbol.
I saw it for the electronic leash that it was.
Today, data enabled phones and service have gotten so cheap that they have come to be very widely
distributed. They enable easy access to employees all the time and everywhere.
The result has been that when other employees or bosses don't want to make a decision, they just contact someone else and make it his problem.
The use of your time and brain uncompensated during what should be off hours is icing on the cake.
The best defense might be to look at the number from which the incoming call was made and ignore it. Nobody can say that you had reception, so you can always say that you didn't see the call when you respond to the voice or text message later on when convenient to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back