15w-40 CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always run 15w-40 CJ-4,CI-4 Plus,CI-4,CH-4,CF/SM,SL oil in my small air cooled engines and my question is this new 15w-40 CK-4 oil ok to use in small air cooled engines??

Read up on CK-4 and make a decision based on that.
Several CK-4's are no more than glorified SN oils.
Some CK-4's (like Rotella in 15w40, and Valvoline 15w40), still have CJ-4 level additives.
IMO, I can't see where a CK-4 is going to protect less, or do harm in OPE. (Unless they are manufactured by Ford...
eek.gif
)

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Some CK-4's (like Rotella in 15w40, and Valvoline 15w40), still have CJ-4 level additives.
IMO, I can't see where a CK-4 is going to protect less, or do harm in OPE. (Unless they
are manufactured by Ford...
eek.gif
)

So is my Cummins going to an early grave because it has ck4/sn in it?

I didn't say that M_O_M.....
I did say that there are some CK-4's that have additive packs that mimic SN gas oils.
I do find it interesting that Valvoline, (especially recommended by Cummins, and for 5000 mile extended drains on top of OEM) has decided to stay with a stout add pack, (for all practical purposes, CJ-4 minus about 150ppm of Phosphorus,) and have both boron and moly in their mix. Could it be because of the Cummins recommendation?
Shell is good on paper as well, minus the moly. OTOH, Delvac looks like a gas engine mix with their CK-4, and one that doesn't even look as good as SL oils from years back. And yes, I know the final mix is what counts, but dang, some blenders cut the add pack to where the bone shows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason1221
I have always run 15w-40 CJ-4,CI-4 Plus,CI-4,CH-4,CF/SM,SL oil in my small air cooled engines and my question is this new 15w-40 CK-4 oil ok to use in small air cooled engines??
There isn't a small gas engine manufacturer that I know of that recommend a HDEO oil. They all usually recommend just an API S- oil. These manufacturers don't test there engines everytime API updates there ratings. So therefore they usually have old API rating recommendation. But usually lawn mower engines aren't fussy, so yes, CK-4 should work.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: beanoil
IMO, I can't see where a CK-4 is going to protect less, or do harm in OPE. (Unless they
are manufactured by Ford...
eek.gif
)

So is my Cummins going to an early grave because it has ck4/sn in it?

See for yourself the lower threshold of zinc & phosphorus in the Mobil & Delo products. I'm not a fan of it myself for my 6.7L Cummins.
https://pqiablog.com/2017/04/24/results-in-on-four-api-ck-4-diesel-engine-oils/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: NH73
[There isn't a small gas engine manufacturer that I know of that recommend a HDEO oil.

Kawasaki does.
http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engine/accessories/kawasaki-4-cycle-engine-oil

Ed
First, the Kawasaki 4 cycle engine oil 10w30 is the only one that is CJ-4 certified, the rest aren't. But even if its CJ-4 certified does not mean that Kawasaki recommends a HDEO. Look in all there manuals and it says this, "The following engine oils are recommended. API Service Classication: SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL." Although its dated, they still only recommend the API gas certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back